Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in sleep mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from a 12 day vacation in Amsterdam (spotted 2 Roadsters, Fusion Red and Electric Blue) to discover my Model S is stuck in sleep mode. The car doesn't respond to the key fobs or to door handle touches. The car was charging when I left for the airport.

Tesla Roadside Assistance mentioned this is the 4th reported case this weekend and the issue started this weekend. The other customers affected were also coming back from vacations. Tesla is unable to gather any diagnostics off the car over the network. I'm waiting to hear back from service for next steps.

Anybody here experience this issue?

Just returned from a 12 day vacation in Amsterdam (spotted 2 Roadsters, Fusion Red and Electric Blue) to discover my Model S is stuck in sleep mode. The car doesn't respond to the key fobs or to door handle touches. The car was charging when I left for the airport.

Tesla Roadside Assistance mentioned this is the 4th reported case this weekend and the issue started this weekend. The other customers affected were also coming back from vacations. Tesla is unable to gather any diagnostics off the car over the network. I'm waiting to hear back from service for next steps.

Anybody here experience this issue?

weird, sorry to hear this. wonder if it has anything to do with the year rollover on the calendar?? odd, but since it's all this week, you gotta wonder....

please keep us updated on the outcome.

Don't know if I'm one of the four, or an additional case, but I came back from vacation to a dead S. It was plugged in to 220 and the main battery was fully charged.

Had to pull the nose cone and jump start with a battery charger. The S instantly takes over and starts charging the bad/low 12V battery but as soon as it stops for any reason (like going back to sleep) then you're dead again.

You are safe as long as you are driving or otherwise not allowing the car to quit charging the 12V. I found experimentally that leaving the driver door open keeps it running. I am at 4.0.

Hopefully get my new 12V battery today or tomorrow.

Sounds like this may be a serious issue for anyone still having v4.0. v4.1 has some significant changes to the 12V maintenance infrastructure (and even early versions .27 and .29 messed that up) but .31 has fixed most of them. You should call Tesla service and ask for v4.1 / .31 to be pushed to your car so that you don't continue to run into these issues.

Also, one other case that I noted, that might be related to this: I noticed that (on v1.19.31) if my car is charging, and we lose 240V power, and regain it, the car does not appear to start recharging on its own. The port turns blue and remains blue at least for a short period of time. I haven't monitored it to see if it eventually begins charging again, or if it waits until top-off, but I just happened to notice it doesn't return to charging immediately.

Also, one other case that I noted, that might be related to this: I noticed that (on v1.19.31) if my car is charging, and we lose 240V power, and regain it, the car does not appear to start recharging on its own. The port turns blue and remains blue at least for a short period of time. I haven't monitored it to see if it eventually begins charging again, or if it waits until top-off, but I just happened to notice it doesn't return to charging immediately.

Losing power is a fairly common occurrence here (we have a generator that kicks in automatically when power goes out for >20 seconds). On every occasion Model S has restarted/continued charging as normal.

Don't know if I'm one of the four, or an additional case, but I came back from vacation to a dead S. It was plugged in to 220 and the main battery was fully charged.

Had to pull the nose cone and jump start with a battery charger. The S instantly takes over and starts charging the bad/low 12V battery but as soon as it stops for any reason (like going back to sleep) then you're dead again.

You are safe as long as you are driving or otherwise not allowing the car to quit charging the 12V. I found experimentally that leaving the driver door open keeps it running. I am at 4.0.

Hopefully get my new 12V battery today or tomorrow.

I am in addition to the 4, but had our car off the charger for a week at family's house and the 12V said need service . They are coming out this week. The cause is supposedly just a weak early batch of batteries, not any phantom draw or charging error/issue. It is curious that mine started Thurs and yours over the weekend...

They are replacing mine this week, but it still works fine, is probably just below tolerance and not as serious as what you are experiencing.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm up and running again.

A Tesla Ranger came out and jumpstarted the battery as KenEE suggested. He replaced the 12V battery afterwards. After the jumpstart, he opened the driver's side door and its window went down on its own. The car had to be powered off to get the window working again. Can always count on a reboot to fix things. :wink:

The firmware was upgraded from v4.0 to v4.1 / .31. The Ranger confirmed the latest release should resolve the 12V battery issues.

Losing power is a fairly common occurrence here (we have a generator that kicks in automatically when power goes out for >20 seconds). On every occasion Model S has restarted/continued charging as normal.

Odd. I unplugged the UMC from the wall for 5 seconds while it was charging, plugged it back in. Charge port remained blue for several minutes. I confess not waiting for more than 5 minutes or so. :)

Can you do the same and see if your car handles it differently? Do you have .31?

You simulated a power outage. The car is programmed to resume charging after a delay with random length. This feature helps not to overwhelm the grid when electric power returns. Can't find the maximum length of the delay in the Model S manual, though.

I recently returned after being out of town for about 15 days. The car was ready to play, but listed 230 miles on the battery, vs. the normal 238-241, and when I drove it it indicated limited regen to about 15 kw. It gradually increased to almost 30 after a couple of runs. I know we had a power outage while we were gone (all clocks in the house reset), but don't know how long.

After charging overnight and upgrading to 4.1 /.31 (which kills bug regression possibilities, I know, I was jetlagged...), everything was back to normal.