Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

michaelmcgaw

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2023
Euless, TX
Is there any way to get support regarding software updates from Tesla short of taking the car to a service center?

I've had an unspecified update (no "status" or "version" values) stuck at about 30% downloaded (if I understand the firmware item software_update/download_perc item correctly). "install_perc" is stuck at 1%. The UI doesn't show any indication a download is available and the last check was about 8am this morning (7/3).

Edited to add:
Those items have been in that state for about five or six days.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The UI doesn't show anything, so there is no update to install for you? Where are you looking at those variable values?
I'm looking at those variable values in the "firmware" section of the dashboard on web version of Tessie (tessie.com). They come from the "software_update" heading in the list of items.

And that's correct: the UI doesn't show anything. But these values in the firmware have been "stuck" for the last five or six days. I'm wondering if something got stuck and is now broken and if that is preventing any new updates from showing up.

For all I know, this might be normal behavior. But I'd like to contact Tesla and find out but want to avoid making a service request if at all possible.

Hi, @JulienW... this is using that reinstall function (button: "Software Reinstall") in the Vehicle Info section of the Service Mode?

Thanks for your input!
Yes, that it is. If you contact the Service Center this is what they do. You may have to wait a day or 2 before it starts the new download again (Tesla's queue system is as clear as mud) but the "stuck" software will be deleted.

@JulienW I tried this. I'm not sure what this means, but the update picked up in the "middle", immediately showing a progress bar about 66% complete with the message "Updating Electronic Control Units".

Those firmware values have changed, so this is progress:

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 18.00.31.png

Thank you for your help!

I will share my frustration and positive outcome with receiving and installing Tesla’s Software Updates.

My vehicle (MYP 23) was in storage since September 23. This week, I began performing the much needed software updates. I thought the updates would occur like the stated 25 minute timeframes, so I tried an update 2023.38.6 during an errand in town, and I had to interrupt the installation at 30% because it appeared to hang.

After 24 hours, the vehicle was ready for a reattempt-update, so I parked it in the garage and let it do its thing.

Process is as follows on 20Mb/s hotspot:
1. 2023.38.6 : download (20-30 min)
2. 2023.44.30.5.1 : download (1 hr)
2.5 — automatically began updating next version
3. 2023.44.30.7: download, install (1.5 hr)

** Note: The last update hanged at 100% for 3 hours. I thought my hotspot had died, so I went to the car to check the device and it was good. The download status for the update on the vehicle screen was stuck at 100% at 18.5Mb/s.
* Steps Taken:
A. Turned-off my hotspot to see reaction of vehicle. No reaction. Turned-on hotspot. No reaction.
B. Did the Two-button reboot.
C. The vehicle screen rebooted, and checked for updates.
D. Vehicle showed current version as 2023.38.6.
E. — Cussing —
F. Checked my app, and the vehicle was resuming the update 2023.44.30.7 at 100%.
G. 10-20 min elapsed, and the app indicated that installation was ready.
H. I proceeded with the installation, and it took at least one hour.

Lesson I learned: do updates at home where you are not rushed.