Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stupid Cheap CPO MS with Free Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many, I contemplated between a CPO MS and new Model 3. Long story short, I decided on the Model S because I find the MS more of a luxury car, more prestigious, and the price was right. I see the MS as an Audi A7 and the M3 as an Audi A4. I finally bought a CPO 2016 Facelift MS. It was a MS60, 22k miles, only option was subzero. Price was $45,600 and it's on the East Coast. I suspect the price was so low because Tesla valued it as a non-AP MS60. I spoke to the advisor and Tesla upgrades all eligible cars with:
  • Unlocks the software-limited 60kw battery to the 75kw capacity
  • If AP isn't enabled, they will enable it for free
  • They will also uncork the car from 5.5s 0-60 to 4.2s 0-60
Therefore, if you buy a MS in that sweet spot in 2016, you get quite a few upgrades for a stupidly cheap price. Keep in mind the uncorking eligibility is somewhere in the mid-high 15x,xxx VIN range. My vin was 162,xxx.

Just thought I'd share my experience because I haven't heard of this deal before.

Also makes me concerned about the non-CPO resale value of these cars. Why would anyone buy a non-CPO MS60 when Tesla offers this...? Also alarms me about depreciation... the cheapest MS lost $22k in 24 months.

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and Fobble
You are saying if you buy a 60 non ap they will upgrade it to a 75 ap for free?

My question is why wouldnt they do that already (no cost to tesla) and jack up the price of the car.

Last edited:
Of course Tesla will software unlock everything in the car since they can ask more money for it. Uncorking changes the torque and the battery amperage. Tesla didn't uncork RWDs per se, but looking at sample performance runs from RWDs with the new drive unit (DU01 post mid June 2017) it appears the new RWDs have the torque setting upped from 450 to 575Nm and a slight power increase from 280kW to 315kW.