Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade for AP1 cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nav update, EU-2022.40-12215 is stuck trying to upload in my my 2015 MS85 with MCU1. Also, none of the pages in the on screen drivers manual load. Is this likely to be an SD card problem or the EPROM running out of memory? Tesla have offered the MCU2 upgrade, or a cheaper option for the Nav problem of a replacement SD card with the latest Nav on it, for £215. I don't use the browser or games and haven't noticed any other problems (yet). Is the MCU2 upgrade worth if for other improvements, and is it likely to resolve my Nav and manual problems?

The MCU2 upgrade was well worth the money. One of the best purchases I've made.

I’m just buying a 2019 MX. Is MCU2 the latest upgrade? We have an MY too at the moment. It utilises the side cameras when indicating. The guy in the Tesla Center said if we upgrade the MX to hardware 3 that is available on MX. It‘s the first I’d heard of that.

I’m just buying a 2019 MX. Is MCU2 the latest upgrade? We have an MY too at the moment. It utilises the side cameras when indicating. The guy in the Tesla Center said if we upgrade the MX to hardware 3 that is available on MX. It‘s the first I’d heard of that.

These are unrelated. MCU2 (media control unit) is the infotainment system. Hardware 3 has to do with autopilot, particularly the AP computer. Not sure on that 2019 whether you'll get camera upgrades as well. Perhaps someone here knows.

Reactions: Lee Davis
These are unrelated. MCU2 (media control unit) is the infotainment system. Hardware 3 has to do with autopilot, particularly the AP computer. Not sure on that 2019 whether you'll get camera upgrades as well. Perhaps someone here knows.
I received camera upgrades on my 2017 MS to HW 3 along with the an updated autopilot computer.

I also upgraded to MCU2 and yes, they are unrelated.

But I don’t have the blind spot camera in the display.

Thanks mxnym, useful advice. If I have to keep paying out for SD cards for future nav updates, and other areas start giving problems as well, it would probably be worth me getting the MCU2 upgrade, plus radio upgrade as I use FM quite a lot. I haven't had a noticeable problem with slow nav response yet, but I guess it's like upgrading your computer as the old one is getting slow and the small disk drive has filled up. Just something we need to budget for in a car with sophisticated a computer at it's heart.
The original SD card was recalled. Mine was replaced free in March. Did you get the recall replacement?

I just got a reply from Tesla Service. Unfortunately they say there is no SD card recall on my car, so if I want it replaced it will cot £215. At present I have not noticed any problems, either with navigation or the MCU, although I assume that changes in the highway layout since the 2019 update would not show. There is a stretch of road near my home that has recently been dualled with a new 70mph limit, up form 60mph, but the autopilot still restricts to 60 in one direction, so maybe that's an indication. Interestingly it automatically slows for a roundabout but that was there before. I'll wait until I see a problem and then decide what to do.

So strange one here. I requested a price here in canada for the mcu2 upgrade (mx 2017). I was quoted $3015 + tax. I assumed that was with FM radio but the SC said there’s no option to have it without and that it’s a default upgrade? Seems strange

Attachments

• IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 62
So strange one here. I requested a price here in canada for the mcu2 upgrade (mx 2017). I was quoted $3015 + tax. I assumed that was with FM radio but the SC said there’s no option to have it without and that it’s a default upgrade? Seems strange
That didn’t used to be the case.

Perhaps Tesla is seeing the writing on the wall for AM (in US) and therefore FM will be included.

I don't think you should have to frequently replace the SD card. I think my SD card was replaced under warranty once, but the NAV upgrades should normally download and install to the same SD card without replacement. If your MCU1 is consistently responsive enough to you and the eMMC somehow gets replaced via some extended coverage on that component before you end up in the "nothing works but diagnostics don't say it failed yet" zone (hopefully that doesn't even exist anymore, but it was a thing, and paying for an upgrade instead of using the warranty was definitely the quickest way out of it), you may well be OK without the MCU upgrade, but it is worth keeping in mind that you may simply be kicking the can down the road.
Going from MCU1>MCU2 takes you from an 8 gig eMMC to a 64 gig eMMC chip. Its part of the upgrade.

Going from MCU1>MCU2 takes you from an 8 gig eMMC to a 64 gig eMMC chip. Its part of the upgrade.
I'm not sure why you mention this in this context, it seems irrelevant to what I was saying for two reasons:
1) In MCU1, navigation data is definitely stored on an SD card, NOT the eMMC
2) eMMC replacement under warranty / paid TSB repair also upgrades the eMMC size, iirc. Maybe not to 64 GB, but AFAIK, even in MCU2, navigation data is stored on an SD card (NOT the eMMC).

I'm not sure why you mention this in this context, it seems irrelevant to what I was saying for two reasons:
1) In MCU1, navigation data is definitely stored on an SD card, NOT the eMMC
2) eMMC replacement under warranty / paid TSB repair also upgrades the eMMC size, iirc. Maybe not to 64 GB, but AFAIK, even in MCU2, navigation data is stored on an SD card (NOT the eMMC).
My warranty replacement was 64 GB

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym
The original SD card was recalled. Mine was replaced free in March. Did you get the recall replacement?
Actually, the Tesla service manager told me that they used cheap and underpowered chips to save money. Problem was that the OTA updates increase the size of the OS and over time the underpowered chips and small amount of storage can't handle the bloated operating system. Apparently Musk didn't think of this--or did and didn't care. Thus, I've started getting problems associated with that--problems this guy said he "bet would resolve with the infotainment upgrade." Cost was $1750 US. I have extended warranty though nothing was said about warranty coverage. But--they do remove functionality and features. I don't recall what those were (I think the radio and free TuneIn subscription) but they were significant. Seems to me that Tesla always finds a way to screw you. Like $10K for "autopilot" and "FULL self-driving" that are not "auto" and definitely not "full self-driving." Keep those hands on the wheel and alert at all times! A bit of a con, no? #tesla

Actually, the Tesla service manager told me that they used cheap and underpowered chips to save money. Problem was that the OTA updates increase the size of the OS and over time the underpowered chips and small amount of storage can't handle the bloated operating system. Apparently Musk didn't think of this--or did and didn't care.
Right, your "service center manager" is smarter than Musk and his engineers, also I'm sure you're still using a 2012 iPhone. :rolleyes: Here's the true negative thing your "service center manager" is misunderstanding: the Tesla MCU1 are not automotive grade, that is a fact. The thing is, AFAIU, the reason Tesla chose not to use automotive grade stuff is because they wanted bigger (screen size) and faster (chip/data speed) stuff than was available in automotive grade during Model S development (remember, the MCU1 was in the 2012 Model S). Did they "cheap out" by not having something automotive grade developed? I'm not deep enough in the industry to guarantee one way or the other, but I suspect it may not have been an option, because back when this was a big deal, everything I could find indicated that something has to be "tried and true" before it can be considered automotive or industrial grade, and part of "tried and true" was old (you'd never find the same chip in a new brand new car and a brand new PC, but you might find the chip in the brand now car in a several year old PC). Now I see big screens and high performance stuff in industrial components, but that doesn't mean they are the latest and greatest, as chip speeds stopped changing much a long time ago now. Regardless, what I see available in industrial components now may also be available in automotive components, but I don't know as much about what Tesla is doing now, so I couldn't even tell you whether MCU2 and MCU3 are automotive grade or not to begin with.

Actually, the Tesla service manager told me that they used cheap and underpowered chips to save money. Problem was that the OTA updates increase the size of the OS and over time the underpowered chips and small amount of storage can't handle the bloated operating system. Apparently Musk didn't think of this--or did and didn't care. Thus, I've started getting problems associated with that--problems this guy said he "bet would resolve with the infotainment upgrade." Cost was $1750 US. I have extended warranty though nothing was said about warranty coverage. But--they do remove functionality and features. I don't recall what those were (I think the radio and free TuneIn subscription) but they were significant. Seems to me that Tesla always finds a way to screw you. Like $10K for "autopilot" and "FULL self-driving" that are not "auto" and definitely not "full self-driving." Keep those hands on the wheel and alert at all times! A bit of a con, no? #tesla
I still haven’t paid for the mcu2 upgrade. It all works kinda. Like an iPhone 5s, functional sure, slow yes. I just got my auto steer recall notice. It told me to update. Hahahaha.

If they don’t get the “recall” fixed in a month or two. All of us on MCU1 should file complaints. Maybe that might speed up any FSD rollout for MCU1 hardware. And by speed up I hope the solution is a free upgrade. I’ll hold out. My left display is now leaking. Don’t s big of a deal.