Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subframe Damage [Tesla claims normal wear and tear?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Long time lurker here.. I have a 2018 M3P w/ 44k miles and starting noticing a loud knocking noise the past two weeks. Last week, I pulled out of my driveway and heard a loud thump so I immediately walked out and checked to see what was going on. I saw a large bolt on the ground and after further inspection, realized that the bolt from the front right side control arm was missing.

I brought it into the service center and I was told I needed to replace my front sub-frame and lateral link. I would think this would be covered under warranty, but I am forced to pay $2.5k out of pocket for repairs since Tesla deems this as "normal wear and tear".

Any here had the same issue or thoughts on if I really should be responsible for this?

Here is my invoice for a sub frame replacement.
Invoice1.jpg

Invoice2.jpg
Invoice3.jpg

Attachments

• Invoice1.jpg
    Invoice1.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 460
I recall a period of time that Tesla was tagging work as "goodwill" on invoices even though it was clearly covered by the warranty. There were theories at the time that Tesla was misusing this as a way to categorize the cost differently on their P&L.

And that theory was pretty thoroughly debunked by folks who, unlike the TSLAQ crowd making the claims, actually understand accounting.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Well couple of thoughts here. Tesla is saying there is "significant damage", trying to claim it was either in an accident, or some kind of road debris/damage caused it, not making this a warranty issue. Which you should have paused/stopped right there and said, prove this Tesla service.

A control arm/subframe bolt falling off is a safety/warranty issue, that shouldn't happen with normal torque spec values from the manufacturer.

So....either, they need to fix it under warranty IMO...or you need to file an insurance claim that you hit something in the road/backed into something, got rear ended etc...if that was the case.

Even if you had a $1k deductible....cheaper than the $3k they are charging. So, where are you at with this? Is this just an estimate right now and the car is sitting? Because this was 2 weeks ago you posted?!?! Then posted an invoice a few days ago.

Interesting that the OP reports "...front right side control arm.." and "...replace my front sub-frame and lateral link...", and the invoice shows that the REAR subframe assembly was replaced, and no control arm or lateral link. Definitely some confusion on my part here...

Interesting that the OP reports "...front right side control arm.." and "...replace my front sub-frame and lateral link...", and the invoice shows that the REAR subframe assembly was replaced, and no control arm or lateral link. Definitely some confusion on my part here...
The invoice was posted by someone else and is from a Model S, not a Model 3.

Well couple of thoughts here. Tesla is saying there is "significant damage", trying to claim it was either in an accident, or some kind of road debris/damage caused it, not making this a warranty issue. Which you should have paused/stopped right there and said, prove this Tesla service.

A control arm/subframe bolt falling off is a safety/warranty issue, that shouldn't happen with normal torque spec values from the manufacturer.

So....either, they need to fix it under warranty IMO...or you need to file an insurance claim that you hit something in the road/backed into something, got rear ended etc...if that was the case.

Even if you had a $1k deductible....cheaper than the $3k they are charging. So, where are you at with this? Is this just an estimate right now and the car is sitting? Because this was 2 weeks ago you posted?!?! Then posted an invoice a few days ago.
I elected them to fix it. Going thru insurance would have been a long process, and wanted to move on from this.

Hi All,

Long time lurker here.. I have a 2018 M3P w/ 44k miles and starting noticing a loud knocking noise the past two weeks. Last week, I pulled out of my driveway and heard a loud thump so I immediately walked out and checked to see what was going on. I saw a large bolt on the ground and after further inspection, realized that the bolt from the front right side control arm was missing.

I brought it into the service center and I was told I needed to replace my front sub-frame and lateral link. I would think this would be covered under warranty, but I am forced to pay $2.5k out of pocket for repairs since Tesla deems this as "normal wear and tear".

Any here had the same issue or thoughts on if I really should be responsible for this?
I have a 2018 model 3 as well. It has the same issue as yours. It started to have noise after their technician came out to do a recall fix. So I brought car to Tesla service. They said it is front control arm issue. Coincidentally happened after recall fix. I will post my bill below as well. Exactly the same as yours. Mine is 4.5 years old car with 37k mileage. I drive to work daily with it, 15-20 min each way on a very nice stretch of Hwy. no big city. Parks indoors. No accident or any rough ride. Why did it sustain such damage?
I had my Mercedes before this, 24 years, never had any big damage, spent $800 once to fix something when it was 22 years old. Nothing like this. I was going to get another Tesla to replace my other SUV. Now, I have second thought. I like to hear from others as well. I will escalate this to wherever I need to, to alert other people as well. Very disappointed.

Attachments

• 83BC8096-C07C-4DF1-BED2-ABC1B636B26E.jpeg
    83BC8096-C07C-4DF1-BED2-ABC1B636B26E.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 68
  • B629B18A-DE2F-467F-ADA4-573B1AA66322.jpeg
    B629B18A-DE2F-467F-ADA4-573B1AA66322.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 65
I have a 2018 model 3 as well. It has the same issue as yours. It started to have noise after their technician came out to do a recall fix. So I brought car to Tesla service. They said it is front control arm issue. Coincidentally happened after recall fix. I will post my bill below as well. Exactly the same as yours. Mine is 4.5 years old car with 37k mileage. I drive to work daily with it, 15-20 min each way on a very nice stretch of Hwy. no big city. Parks indoors. No accident or any rough ride. Why did it sustain such damage?
I had my Mercedes before this, 24 years, never had any big damage, spent $800 once to fix something when it was 22 years old. Nothing like this. I was going to get another Tesla to replace my other SUV. Now, I have second thought. I like to hear from others as well. I will escalate this to wherever I need to, to alert other people as well. Very disappointed.
I am with you on this. I have had mine for 2 years since new and I feel like the car is junk imo (although, yes I agree that the tech is great). I had a spate of issues during the first couple of months, which were addressed, but issues that I feel shouldn't have even happened. Not too bad since then, but generally I feel like the car feels cheap, understanding that that is subjective. I, too, am coming from decades of AMG Mercedes, and comparing the car quality between the 2 is night and day. I am just waiting for some new Mercedes EQ SUV's to come out, and then I am bailing.

Was your car still within the warranty period? If so, why was this not covered under warranty?

Tesla has a history of "interpreting" warranty claims with self-interest (minimize costs) first, and customer satisfaction second.
Unfortunately, that's what you get when your service center (SC) is owned by the automaker (OEM).
duh-seth-meyers.gif

Filing appeals to your state's Attorney General's office, TSAB, and hiring legal help (directly or through your insurance company) is the appropriate course of action when that happens to you!