Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subway adding EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its so not worth the effort unless they are DC fast chargers. Even an 11kwh delivery rate is only ~10 miles in the 15 minutes you spend getting/eating Subway, and that's assuming you're not doing takeout.

The chargers will either never get used, or they'll always be broken because they are being plugged/unplugged so much. My bet is the former, and it'll cost every Subway they are installed at >$10k to install them.

Looks like Subway is getting on the EV bandwagon. They are adding EV Chargers and playgrounds at some select locations.

I wonder if McDonald's, Burger King and other will follow.
Hi J. I don't know about those particular fast-food places. Up here I got a request from the franchise owner of two Wendys' locations where he wants to put in a Tesla destination charger which is unusual for around here. It might be more of an individual franchisee decision rather than a corporate thing. Either way, that's nice to see.

In the Carolinas, the owner of the Smithfields BBQ Chicken franchise (who is a Tesla owner) started out with destination chargers at their locations, and is now going big on hosting Superchargers. I suspect it's been a positive experience for them as they keep expanding.

Reactions: WarEagleGo
In the Carolinas, the owner of the Smithfields BBQ Chicken franchise (who is a Tesla owner) started out with destination chargers at their locations, and is now going big on hosting Superchargers. I suspect it's been a positive experience for them as they keep expanding.
I totally get putting in superchargers where you'll be for an hour, and I almost understand putting L2 chargers in where you'll be an hour. I've even used (free) L2 chargers while at dinner. But I totally don't understand the idea of a fast food/takeout joint putting in L2 chargers.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I totally get putting in superchargers where you'll be for an hour, and I almost understand putting L2 chargers in where you'll be an hour. I've even used (free) L2 chargers while at dinner. But I totally don't understand the idea of a fast food/takeout joint putting in L2 chargers.
From the viewpoint of the business, maybe free L2 attracts more customers, even if they only pick up a few miles.
If it does bring them in more business, it will be more widespread.

Reactions: RTPEV and GtiMart
I mostly agree (I do think it gives travelers who may be at their destination area but don't have local charging a nice little top off). But I'll point out that it was your response to the OP that mentioned L2...I haven't seen anything in the linked article (or anywhere else for that matter) that said that Subway was considering L2, although it's possible I missed something.

I mostly agree (I do think it gives travelers who may be at their destination area but don't have local charging a nice little top off). But I'll point out that it was your response to the OP that mentioned L2...I haven't seen anything in the linked article (or anywhere else for that matter) that said that Subway was considering L2, although it's possible I missed something.
I agree, but installing L3 charging ANYWHERE is likely a 50k and up proposition. No Subway on the planet is going to sign up for that.

I agree, but installing L3 charging ANYWHERE is likely a 50k and up proposition. No Subway on the planet is going to sign up for that.
Seems pretty speculative there. It depends on the business model. Would the Subway franchise be buying, installing, operating and maintaining the chargers themselves? Or would they merely be acting as a host for the site? We don't really know the details, but given the example of other chains & outlets (Starbucks, Taco Bell, Sheetz, Wawa, 7-11), I suspect the latter. So really all that Subway is offering up here is real estate in the parking lot (although in this case it appears it's probably a bit more than that since there is playground and picnic facility as well).

Seems pretty speculative there. It depends on the business model. Would the Subway franchise be buying, installing, operating and maintaining the chargers themselves? Or would they merely be acting as a host for the site? We don't really know the details, but given the example of other chains & outlets (Starbucks, Taco Bell, Sheetz, Wawa, 7-11), I suspect the latter. So really all that Subway is offering up here is real estate in the parking lot (although in this case it appears it's probably a bit more than that since there is playground and picnic facility as well).
You might be right.."On average, the smaller-format, fast EV chargers will offer a 120-mile charge in 17 minutes for approximately $20,"

For AC chargers a lot will depend also on the cars. You see inboard AC>DCchargers going down. Tesla started with 22kW with possibility to double. Now I think it is 14kW and not possibility to expand. A lot of public chargers in Europe are 22kW but with the current Tesla's you will never use the full amount. Agree if is not worth the hassle to charge for just a few miles...

50kW DC stations would be a good option for these. Whatever L2 station they install will be occupied by people who work in that area.
A couple McDonalds in Colorado Springs have some ChargePoint DC stations. Looked like 62.5kW max rate when I glanced

Yeah, I agree. Under 1h stay it's tough to justify using a level 2, it just doesn't provide that much power. The times I've used level 2 for less than 1h were because they were better parking spots so I didn't mind paying a bit, and sometimes they even were free.

Well, if you can park overnight then its worth it especially if its free. I did that when visiting a friend in Arizona, his apartment complex had no EV charging but he was close to a large shopping center with free EV charging. Businesses were closed at night so I had it all to myself. Had 100% charge everyday so I never had to supercharge doing local commutes.

All I had to do was ride an E-scooter back and forth from the car to apartment, which was about 1 mile.

Reactions: Genie