Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful Installation of SiriusXM radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recd my Oynx Plus and successfully installed it, was easy to run the antenna cable to the center console. No drilling just one small piece of wired exposed but not an eye sore, between the driver seat to the top and inside of the Console cover.

Fred

B1AA2E57-713D-4244-A1FF-11B2747B134F.jpeg
D9FFF2DE-F51B-4DB1-BA32-03469BEB6EFA.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Recd my Oynx Plus and successfully installed it, was easy to run the antenna cable to the center console. No drilling just one small piece of wired exposed but not an eye sore, between the driver seat to the top and inside of the Console cover.

Fred

View attachment 407024 View attachment 407025

This looks great - thanks for suggesting the location for the antenna! I just ordered the Onyx Plus and the new Bluetooth dock, so I can avoid the FM transmitter stuff.

I also ordered a USB-to-5V adapter, so I can plug right into my existing charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779D7DFG/

This will be great -- excited to get started. Now I have to figure out how to mount the radio itself. What I'm hoping to do is put it on an arm mount so it "dangles" below the main Model 3 display, under the lower right corner. We'll see....

This looks great - thanks for suggesting the location for the antenna! I just ordered the Onyx Plus and the new Bluetooth dock, so I can avoid the FM transmitter stuff.

I also ordered a USB-to-5V adapter, so I can plug right into my existing charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779D7DFG/

This will be great -- excited to get started. Now I have to figure out how to mount the radio itself. What I'm hoping to do is put it on an arm mount so it "dangles" below the main Model 3 display, under the lower right corner. We'll see....

if you're going to use an arm mount, mount it inside the front part of the console like this:

keeps it within reach but you can close the console to hide it and avoid giving thieves a reason to break into the car (plus keep the clean inside look, no wires or mounts showing whatsoever when the console is closed).

also, i'm sure you probably know but if you're using the bluetooth dock you can't also use your phone at the same time. that limitation is why i went with the FM direct adapter (that plus the fact that the BT dock took forever to get to market).

if you're going to use an arm mount, mount it inside the front part of the console like this:

keeps it within reach but you can close the console to hide it and avoid giving thieves a reason to break into the car (plus keep the clean inside look, no wires or mounts showing whatsoever when the console is closed).

also, i'm sure you probably know but if you're using the bluetooth dock you can't also use your phone at the same time. that limitation is why i went with the FM direct adapter (that plus the fact that the BT dock took forever to get to market).

Yeah, I'm OK with keeping the phone disconnected. I'm really trying hard to stay unplugged while I'm driving. It's weird... for all the technology and automation, I feel like the Model 3 is making me a better driver. I'm breaking bad habits (checking phone while driving, etc) - and focusing on the drive itself. It's pretty amazing.

Not really worried about the theft angle - I am, however, concerned about it being somewhere easy to change stations while driving. Down in the console doesn't seem easy to me; would require too far an eye-shift off the windshield. I'll have to play around a bit and see what works.

But thank you much! Still not entirely sure - I may stuff it in the console and just use a remote control. That might be every bit as effective. I want to see the BT dock's behavior - if I can just forward-backward on the steering wheel between my favorite channels - that's a home friggin run!

But thank you much! Still not entirely sure - I may stuff it in the console and just use a remote control. That might be every bit as effective.

this is exactly what i do. i can reach the buttons where i have it mounted, but i use the remote so i don't have to look down.

I want to see the BT dock's behavior - if I can just forward-backward on the steering wheel between my favorite channels - that's a home friggin run!

i agree with this, please let me know how it turns out. if this ends up being the case i may actually consider swapping out my dock for the bluetooth one, previously mentioned cell phone connection issue be damned.