Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Creep vs no creep may be a big factor for some people. I have driven mostly manuals so creep feels very wrong. Cars should only accelerate when you command them to, not when you take your foot off the brakes. Of course if you learned the other way around you are going to have some very different wiring in your brain and it's a lot of training to change that. It's much easier to turn creep on and be done.

Reactions: croman
Creep vs no creep may be a big factor for some people. I have driven mostly manuals so creep feels very wrong....
I’ve driven lots of manuals and completely disagree. I have to pull within 2 feet of my house for the charge cable to reach. When I’m “creeping” up I sure don’t want to do it with the accelerator. If ANYTHING goes wrong (what if I sneeze?) I’m in the wall. Using the brake for low speed control is much safer.

In regard to "creep", I had my Model S for about a month when I was in stop and go traffic. I had started to move forward but then had to let off the accelerator. The guy behind me bumped into me putting a small dent in my trunk lid and cracking one of the light assemblies. I was livid. After I calmed down, I realized that I had "creep" off and actually I rolled back into that guy. My fault not his. I still have "creep" off, but now use the auto hold or whatever it is called feature where you push harder on the brake and the car keeps the brake on until you tap the brake or step on the accelerator. Problem solved, no creep and no rolling back.

Cheers.

I have to pull within 2 feet of my house for the charge cable to reach.
I use an extension cord for my NEMA 14-50. No creep.

To keep on the SUA topic, I had a case of this yesterday, sort of, in my new S100D. I thought I had put the car in reverse to exit a parking space where I was nose in. As I touched the accelerator the car moved forward! I quickly hit the brake pedal. Okay, no harm done. But how was that possible? The backup camera display was on, so I knew I was in reverse. My hands were nowhere near the screen, so I couldn't have caused the backup camera to display that way. The car had not yet moved from being parked. So what sequence of events could have led to what I observed? And, since my wife also observed the rear camera on the display I don't think I was imagining it.

Last edited:
I've been left-foot-braking for the last few years since I figured I'd probably never drive a manual car again, I believe that, once learned, it may be a safer way to separate mental disciplines and it's almost impossible to press the accelerator with your left foot, it certainly leads to quicker transitions as I've found when auto-crossing.

A word of warning though, if you so start trying it out, make sure no one is behind you... you might be surprised how inelegant you are with your left foot at first, my passengers certainly were for a while!

Your post seems to indicate you let your S coast into your parking place using regenerative braking. How is your regenerative braking set? High or Low? That aside you should have had your foot on the brake. Note that it is possible to depress the accelerator and the brake at the same time in which case you get a warning note on the display. While Tesla management leaves a lot to be desired in regard to customer service, I suspect they are right in this case.

Unintended acceleration cases are almost universally determined to be user error. This is especially so with Teslas. Telemetry doesn't lie. You hit the gas pedal then the brake. You want to argue with a computer?

Agree re: telemetry doesn't lie, and it's likely driver error. Would be nice however if Tesla's were smart enough to use the AP/AEB systems to prevent the car from crashing into stuff when this scenario happens

If you press ying and yang (to use your paradigm) at the same time, you get a pop-up saying so.. "pressing both pedals".

Try this, by pressing both pedals:
A) at a stop - you go nowhere... no power applied to wheels
B) while driving - I believe you coast / regen as you decel... no power applied

A person trying to accel out of a bad situation and pressing both pedals at the same time in a panic to do so.. might claim "a sudden loss of power".

Finally... ALL cars manufactured have sufficient brake power to overcome any amount of "go" power you put in with the other pedal. The car will stop if you tromp on both pedals as hard as you can. (when new, and loaded within mfg specs -- another reason why cars have towing weight limits is braking power).

It's amazing how many people drive with a foot on each pedal.

I use an extension cord for my NEMA 14-50. No creep.

To keep on the SUA topic, I had a case of this yesterday, sort of, in my new S100D. I thought I had put the car in reverse to exit a parking space where I was nose in. As I touched the accelerator the car moved forward! I quickly hit the brake pedal. Okay, no harm done. But how was that possible? The backup camera display was on, so I knew I was in reverse. My hands were nowhere near the screen, so I couldn't have turned caused the backup camera to display that way. The car had not yet moved from being parked. So what sequence of events could have led to what I observed? And, since my wife also observed the rear camera on the display I don't think I was imagining it.
Best to observe the "R" in the display before accelerating in reverse.

I would argue that it should be a configurable setting to ignore or greatly reduce high acceleration from a standstill (or nearly so) when sensors (radar and/or ultrasonic) detect a wall or large object. For a car as advanced as the Tesla is, this should really be available to drivers to protect people from their own mistakes (though I will not argue that it should be the default).

I agree, and even think it should be the default.
Radar & ultrasonics always know how far the front of the car is from an object. I can't think of any scenario where the car needs to go more than ~1mph when within a few feet of an object, and it should apply AEB to avoid collision. The car needs to be smarter than the driver sometimes!!

To OP,
I notice you got a little beat up on this SUA thing. I have not experienced what you have in the 3 years and 65K miles we have owned the car (P85D) However I have experienced something similar and also got beat up on this forum, until others tested it and Tesla fixed the problem with a minor software update.

In my case I had a bad habit of getting in a car starting it and immediately putting it in gear. In the case of our Tesla , if it was in creep mode and I did that, it would start to move and even though you were pressing on the brake you could not stop the car for 3 seconds.
You will now notice that all Teslas will not go into gear for about 5 seconds. That allows the brake system to activate before the drive systems come on line. In my case I was lucky nothing was in front of me so no accident, the car would move about a car length.

Your case is somewhat different however I am not one to totally blame the operator. Anything mechanical or electrical can fail. It is possible that a false signal was received by the controller from throttle position sensor. Something like hearing noise when you adjust the volume on your old radio.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
@Ying, first of all sorry to hear that your wife had this accident. It sounded like she was/is OK physically, which is the most important thing. Damage-wise, $4K isn't a small amount but, for a family who lives in the Bay Area and could afford 4 Teslas, I'm guessing that you guys will probably be just fine.

I'm wondering though, about what exactly are you guys trying to achieve here. Data in the logs doesn't lie. Well, I suppose it could be erroneously instrumented, but the data is the data, and in this case based on it Tesla says the following (quoting your wife's initial post):

Tesla said I was on the pedal for a second long, I applied pedal from 0-18%, and quickly applied the brake.

So, logically speaking, one of the following is true:
1. Tesla mis-instrumented things so that data captured in the car's log isn't accurate
2. The data is accurate but Tesla misinterpreted it when they presented their findings to your wife
3. Tesla flat-out made stuff up and lied to your wife (i.e. data actually says there was no application of the throttle)
4. Your wife actually did what the log says happened
5. Something else caused what the log says happened

Which of the above are you trying to prove?

From the sound of it, it's one of the first three. But if you fundamentally distrust Tesla to such extent, your continued and significant investment in them is very contradictory. And I don't know how suing them (something that I believe I read your wife is pursuing) regardless of the outcome is going to suddenly increase your trust factor in them.

I have a different scenario......I owned a fairly new supercharged Jaguar and had this phenomenon happen three times. Not super fast speeds but enough to really shake you up. The third time I almost went through the garage door. I spent time trying to analyze all this especially when there were others experiencing the same thing. Here is the answer.........when wearing certain sandals or especially wide shoes and when we swing our foot from one pedal to another perhaps in an unconscious lazy manner, the foot is actually touching and pressing both pedals. How ? Because when I started measuring the distance between pedals I found that the Jaguar had these pedals a tad too close to each other. Of course one swears that one is pushing down on the brake and not the gas pedal ! When I made a deliberate effort to move my foot further over each time....no more problems ! Just my experience and I just guess that it was the same for others as well. Those damn pedals were really too close to each other. Now I don't own a Tesla yet but in just sitting in a few I noticed that my sandals were touching the other pedal......NO I do not have big feet !!

I’ve driven lots of manuals and completely disagree. I have to pull within 2 feet of my house for the charge cable to reach. When I’m “creeping” up I sure don’t want to do it with the accelerator. If ANYTHING goes wrong (what if I sneeze?) I’m in the wall. Using the brake for low speed control is much safer.
Creep still feels strange to me even if you disagree. Good thing there is an option so we can each have our preference honored. I regularly borrow another EV that has no option to creep, and it catches my by surprise at my first stop every time.

I modified my post to read "from a standstill (or nearly so)". One could put enough circumstances on it to avoid any but the intended constraint. Can you think of a scenario where one would want rapid acceleration from a standstill (or nearly so) when sensors detect a large object less than 20 feet away and directly in front of the vehicle?
Sensors can have false positives.

See this thread for a scenario where this causes a problem:
"Obstacle detected" - blocking acceleration - very dangerous!

• Informative
Reactions: SucreTease
I had sudden acceleration once in a parking lot but it didn't cause an accident because I caught it quick.

The cause was accidentally engaging the cruise control because the control for that is right next to the directional and it can be accidentally triggered.

A bigger problem I have is that when the service center lends me an older Model S it has the directional and cruise control levers reversed.

I'm not sure what the fix for this is but maybe cruise should not be able to be engaged when you are going under 15-20mph? This is true in all the "normal" cars I've owned.

I had sudden acceleration once in a parking lot but it didn't cause an accident because I caught it quick.

The cause was accidentally engaging the cruise control because the control for that is right next to the directional and it can be accidentally triggered.

A bigger problem I have is that when the service center lends me an older Model S it has the directional and cruise control levers reversed.

I'm not sure what the fix for this is but maybe cruise should not be able to be engaged when you are going under 15-20mph? This is true in all the "normal" cars I've owned.

Yes! This is one thing that we were discussing previously in this post. Glad that you were able to understand what happened and did not crash.