Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sueing driver/insurance for diminished value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to get a discussion going about diminished value. Long story short, I was involved in a hit-and-run with a driver and fortunately my camera had caught the license plate. I had over 20K and damage to my Model 3. I hired an appraiser to write me a report which was about 14k in diminished value. After having multiple weeks up going back and forth with the other drivers insurance and multiple escalations to the higher ups, they 100% refusing my DV. At this point I have no other choice than to either file complaint with my state insurance and or sue them in small claims. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Just wanted to get a discussion going about diminished value. Long story short, I was involved in a hit-and-run with a driver and fortunately my camera had caught the license plate. I had over 20K and damage to my Model 3. I hired an appraiser to write me a report which was about 14k in diminished value. After having multiple weeks up going back and forth with the other drivers insurance and multiple escalations to the higher ups, they 100% refusing my DV. At this point I have no other choice than to either file complaint with my state insurance and or sue them in small claims. Has anyone dealt with this before?
It depends on the state you reside in. In Washington State, insurance companies are required to pay diminished value under certain circumstances. My friend just received this when someone T-boned his 2-week old car. Here is the link for Washington State in case you happen to live here. How to file a diminished value claim after an accident | Washington state Office of the Insurance Commissioner

Got hit by an uninsured driver. My insurance fixed my MY under uninsured policy, but after asking for the diminished value compensation they sent me a very low-ball check I've rejected. I sent them a an official outside appraisal report, but they've ghosted me. Now I'm in the process of going through the small claims court here in Texas.