TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Suggestion: Automatic Warning if Key Fob Left in Car

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Texas, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Texas

Texas Member

Am I the only absent-minded Tesla owner who sometimes leaves his key fob in the car? I've done it at least a dozen times in two years. One common circumstance is after picking up the car from a valet, many of whom leave the fob in the cup holder, where it stays.

My previous car was a Lexus that buzzed up a storm if I left the fob behind. Now I usually discover the mistake after the car has been left unlocked for 15-20 minutes--during which time it was ripe for car theft.

Is there a reason why Tesla couldn't add a feature like the Lexus buzzer to help the absent-minded boneheads among us?

2. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Curious how the Lexus feature worked -- how far away did you need to get before it buzzed you that you'd left the fob in the car?

And how did it buzz you? Or did the car just sit there buzzing for everybody?

4. Texas

Texas Member

#4 Texas, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    If I left the key in the car, the car itself would begin buzzing as soon as I closed the door. Anyone near the car could hear it.

I assume Tesla could add this to an OTA firmware update, with an opt-out for owners who don't want the feature.

I noticed the same suggestion was made yesterday in the post "Warning - Model X Locking Itself with key inside."

5. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

That's all sorts of annoying.

Ford's keypad entry = greatest modern convenience auto invention evah.

6. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Considering this is a standard feature on pretty much every other car out there that runs on a keyless fob, yes it's about time Tesla provides this feature... Then again, we've been saying this since the first Model S deliveries in 2012 and well... Yeah...

Jeff

• Like x 1