Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion needed: buy inventory model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tfeng2019

May 11, 2019
NJ
I ordered online a model 3 SR+. Talked to local sales and told the delivery time can go much longer although the estimation is 2 weeks. I do need a car. So they found an inventory car in other service center. The only concern I have is there is 170-mile on the odometer. Don't know where it comes from. I asked the sales to check for me. Maybe from test driving or sth else.

Need some suggestions on whether I should take the car with about $400 discount. Or wait the new build.

Thank you!

I ordered online a model 3 SR+. Talked to local sales and told the delivery time can go much longer although the estimation is 2 weeks. I do need a car. So they found an inventory car in other service center. The only concern I have is there is 170-mile on the odometer. Don't know where it comes from. I asked the sales to check for me. Maybe from test driving or sth else.

Need some suggestions on whether I should take the car with about $400 discount. Or wait the new build.

Thank you!
Take the car. I took a 2018 inventory car with 60 miles on it, got no discount, but I’m driving, not waiting.

Thank you![/QUOTE

hmm interesting. is that the white with black interior/19 inch wheels in NJ? if it was, i declined that vehicle based on the history that it was a return with a known defect with the rear passenger door. you should ask the sales advisor on its history.

$400 is about the same as 5000 mile supercharging credit.
That's 10000 mile free supercharging total.
But if all of it was really supercharging credit they would all expire in 6 months. Since only 5000 miles are supercharging credit you can possibly use all of 5000 miles within 6 months with several road trips. And the $400 is money in the pocket so that will never expire.

Bottom line, I would counter with $500 off and I would take the deal.

That's what I thought.
It would require bringing the car in to a service center but if Tesla will do the upgrade for free, I don't see why it is a big deal whether the car has old hardware or newer hardware..

Because the AP3 in new is guaranteed ..the upgrade when it happens is still TBD not worth the discount IMO and it assumes OP pays now for FSD ..if he buys new w/o FSD he still gets the AP3 HW ;)

I'd do it. HW3 only affects FSD, and if at some point you upgrade to FSD, they'll comp the hardware change for free. Of course, my numbers are going to be different, because I drop over $400 per month in fuel. So I'd be looking at saving about $1200 (2mosX$400 + $400 incentive).

Reactions: hcdavis3
all,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Here is the update:
- Tesla told me the car was used for test drives for a while, and now up for sale. It was made in mid March with AP2.5.
- They did mention the upgrade to AP3 is free with FSD package.
- They also tried to match me with another VIN, but need to wait 2-3 days to get the final confirmation (~5/14).

So I decided to wait 2-3 days to see whether I can still get the 'NEW' car in two weeks. It is just personal choice.

Thanks again guys!

Reactions: P85_DA and hcdavis3
all,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Here is the update:
- Tesla told me the car was used for test drives for a while, and now up for sale. It was made in mid March with AP2.5.
- They did mention the upgrade to AP3 is free with FSD package.
- They also tried to match me with another VIN, but need to wait 2-3 days to get the final confirmation (~5/14).

So I decided to wait 2-3 days to see whether I can still get the 'NEW' car in two weeks. It is just personal choice.

Thanks again guys!
Good luck. You’re gonna love the car when it arrives.

I'd do it. HW3 only affects FSD, and if at some point you upgrade to FSD, they'll comp the hardware change for free. Of course, my numbers are going to be different, because I drop over $400 per month in fuel. So I'd be looking at saving about $1200 (2mosX$400 + $400 incentive).

In spite of what Elon may have tweeted about this, I have a hard time believing that the software team won’t ever take advantage of HW3 to improve the functionality of basic AP, as well as the emergency braking, collision avoidance and lane departure warnings. Who knows what else they may develop that nobody has ever thought of that will only be available with HW3. People who bought cars with AP2 did not get Sentry or Dashcam. Why would anyone buy a car with 2.5 at this point unless they are definitely buying FSD? I’d rather just have a car with HW3 and skip the AP/FSD options completely until Tesla fully develops them and proves they are reliable enough to be worth while using.