Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer in Revere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the report. Just out of curiosity, what model Mercedes are you comparing your Model 3 trip to?

Also, I've driven as far south as DC in my Model 3. My son may be in school in Miami in the fall, and I'd forgotten about the Autotrain - might be a nice way to take his sisters down for an extended visit next year. How was the Autotrain experience and cost?

My wife's Mercedes is a 2018 CLK 350. It has always been a great road car, but it is getting "long in the tooth", so we took my new T3. I couldn't to believe how much better the T3 ran than the Mercedes, in every respect It not only handled much better, but it ran more smoothly and tracked very well in all weather conditions, including a hard rain. With Tesla charging stations every 100 miles or less, there was no stress.
Do take the Autotrain. It will greatly reduce the stress on mind and body. It is a 9.5 hour drive from the North Shore to Lorton, VA, and you have to be there by 2:30 at the latest. Going South, that means you must either leave very early in the am, or split the trip into two days and spend a night in NJ. The train gets into Sanford, Fl about 10 the next morning and it is a 3 1/2 hour ride to Miami.

I plan on going back to Miami, taking the train on Sept 5. Maybe I will see you then

btw: Having lived in Miami for many years, if I can help, let me know

Thanks, @Dk2943. Impressed how much better you found the 3 vs. the CLK - though considering the "long in the tooth" comment is 2018 a typo?

My son's plans are still up in the air, and I wouldn't be visiting until winter or spring in any event, but I appreciate the info re: Autotrain and will definitely plan to do that if we're making the trip. Thanks!