TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summer Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Meng, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Meng

Meng Member

Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or Michelin Super Sport on a Tesla Model S with 19 in wheels? I just tried to buy the new Pilot Sport 4S but TireRack says they are not available for OEM wheel sizes. :(

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

what is wrong with the OEM michellin tires that come with many of the cars? I have found them to be very good.

3. Meng

Meng Member

My car came with Goodyear Touring. I don't plan to stick with them much longer.

4. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Several people here have tried the Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S and are quite happy with it. It isn't a full performance summer tire, it's an ultra high-performance all-season. Note that the model is the 3 plus, not just the 3. A couple people have tried the plain 3 and were not happy with it.

I and others have used the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, they're incredible tires. However, they are not available in the 245/45/R19. Mine are 255/40R20, they are also available in 245/40R20. The Pilot Sport 4 is also available in these sizes.

If you really want a max performance summer tire in a 19, see if you can get a hold of some Continental ExtremeContact DW's. They're no longer in production so they're hard to find, but they're great tires and available in 245/45R19.

You can also look at the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, it's also very highly rated, and available in 245/45R19.

• Like x 1
  5. Meng

Meng Member

Thanks for taking the time. That was a very helpful response. What rims did you use with the PSS 255/40R20?

6. SomeJoe7777

I'm using the T-Sportline 20x9 turbine-style wheels. They look exactly like the Tesla turbine wheels, but are 20" vice 21".

Be aware that on 20" rims the 255/40R20 wheels will rub the wheel wells in the front when traveling in reverse and turning the steering wheel more than about 1/2 turn. It doesn't cause problems, but does make noise. If this is bothersome, use the 245/40R20.

7. stan23

stan23 Member

I have Michelin Pilot Supor Sports on staggered 21" Turbines. The handling is unreal.

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm a huge fan of the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 tires for my 21" rims. I'm not sure if they are available in the OEM 19" size though.

9. unihappytime

unihappytime Member

I got the PILOT SPORT 3 - SIZE: 245/45R19 MO spec with the car new, so I guess these are OEM spec for 19 as well.

Michelin Pilot Sport 3

• Like x 1
  10. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

Do you think that's the best compromise in looks and durability with the 20's?

11. SomeJoe7777

Yes, that's exactly why I got them. I wanted a lower profile look than 19's, but didn't want the pothole vulnerability of 21's.

See 19" vs 20" pics thread.

12. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

Thanks !!!!!

13. Meng

Meng Member

Thanks everyone. I was very tempted to go with 20in rims but in the end decided to keep my 19in OE wheels and upgrade to Michelin Pilot Sports 3 A/S due to the range of temperatures in Northern California. No perceptible difference in road noise and so far enjoying better grip. Maybe one day I'll get a separate set of summer (only) wheels (20in) with Michelin Pilot Sports 4S.