Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer tires in the middle on winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you will use 2 sets of tires, I would recommend you tell the Tesla store you want all season tires and have them replaced before / at delivery. If this is a performance model, it likely comes with summer tires for max performance, and you would buy another winter set.

Thanks for the responses. Just kind of annoying since the closest delivery location is 4 hours away which means I can’t drive home till I find a place nearby to change the wheels for me. Just seems silly that they can’t just deliver the car with winter tires on it since they sell a winter wheel package in their shop. I’m not asking for both sets. Just put winters on so I can safely drive home and I’ll buy summers when the weather changes. Apparently Tesla thinks this is unreasonable since they won’t do that. Oh well.

I’ve heard that the Plaids are put on the summer tires due to the higher speed rating on the car (not sure if true). I likewise tried to have them switch to all season tires and got a firm no. Being in UT, I had the same issue as I got the car in November so have a few months of cold temperatures and snow.That being said, when I got my Plaid, I drove it for a couple weeks (~1,000 miles) on the Summer Tires until my new rims and tires came in and no driving if it snowed. Definitely not ideal but I didn’t have much option. I decided to go with the Martian Wheel MW05’s after seeing on OutofSpec and went with All Seasons to run full time and think they look great. They are currently doing a decent deal right now (I’m debating ordering a set of 21’s) so might be a good option (I’m not affiliated with them in any way, just love the rims and the car feels a lot better on the 20’s versus the 21’s) if you want a second set for the winter.

1707792750763.png

I’ve heard that the Plaids are put on the summer tires due to the higher speed rating on the car (not sure if true). I likewise tried to have them switch to all season tires and got a firm no. Being in UT, I had the same issue as I got the car in November so have a few months of cold temperatures and snow.That being said, when I got my Plaid, I drove it for a couple weeks (~1,000 miles) on the Summer Tires until my new rims and tires came in and no driving if it snowed. Definitely not ideal but I didn’t have much option. I decided to go with the Martian Wheel MW05’s after seeing on OutofSpec and went with All Seasons to run full time and think they look great. They are currently doing a decent deal right now (I’m debating ordering a set of 21’s) so might be a good option (I’m not affiliated with them in any way, just love the rims and the car feels a lot better on the 20’s versus the 21’s) if you want a second set for the winter.

View attachment 1017823

Strange as Tesla will happily sell you a second set of wheels with winter tires and they'll even install them for you.

Thanks for the responses. Just kind of annoying since the closest delivery location is 4 hours away which means I can’t drive home till I find a place nearby to change the wheels for me. Just seems silly that they can’t just deliver the car with winter tires on it since they sell a winter wheel package in their shop. I’m not asking for both sets. Just put winters on so I can safely drive home and I’ll buy summers when the weather changes. Apparently Tesla thinks this is unreasonable since they won’t do that. Oh well.
They have no use for a set of “used” wheels with summer tires. They can’t sell them as new and they aren’t going to deal with trying to sell them used.

So you either will have to buy the winter package for them to install and take both sets at delivery or drive very carefully home on summer tires.

Strange as Tesla will happily sell you a second set of wheels with winter tires and they'll even install them for you.
Hope was they would just switch the tires and they could keep the summers since the LR comes on all seasons per the Tesla website. That was what I was referencing and I expected a “no”, but figured I might as well inquire even though I knew it was an extreme long shot.

Yes, that was an option but I didn’t want another set of the 21” arachnids and personal preference, I really dislike the 19” Aeros. For me, I decide to go aftermarket.

Hope was they would just switch the tires and they could keep the summers since the LR comes on all seasons per the Tesla website. That was what I was referencing and I expected a “no”, but figured I might as well inquire even though I knew it was an extreme long shot.

Yes, that was an option but I didn’t want another set of the 21” arachnids and personal preference, I really dislike the 19” Aeros. For me, I decide to go aftermarket.

Typical lead times on the winter tire package on teslas site are 8 weeks, so not an option to get the OPs car home.

They have no use for a set of “used” wheels with summer tires. They can’t sell them as new and they aren’t going to deal with trying to sell them used.

So you either will have to buy the winter package for them to install and take both sets at delivery or drive very carefully home on summer tires.
What would be used about it? Are you telling me they can’t have a mechanism in place to put winter wheels which they sell in their store at the factory instead of the summers? They already have the option to put on 19” or 21” wheels. They can’t have an option for winter wheels too? Seems kind of sad for such a large company.

I assume it's a Plaid?
Yes it’s a Plaid. I think it’s silly to deliver it in the middle of winter to a place covered in snow and ice with summer tires. I understand that’s what you need for maximum performance in warm weather but it seems stupid to not give the option to deliver it with winter wheels so I can drive it home from the middle of nowhere delivery center they are forcing me to pick it up from and then leave it to me to get summer wheels on my own.

Yes it’s a Plaid. I think it’s silly to deliver it in the middle of winter to a place covered in snow and ice with summer tires. I understand that’s what you need for maximum performance in warm weather but it seems stupid to not give the option to deliver it with winter wheels so I can drive it home from the middle of nowhere delivery center they are forcing me to pick it up from and then leave it to me to get summer wheels on my own.

The problem is they can't sell the car with tires that have a speed rating less than the maximum vehicle speed.

The problem is they can't sell the car with tires that have a speed rating less than the maximum vehicle speed.
Well that’s unfortunate. Sounds like a rule that makes sense in some circumstances while possibly causing death and destruction in others. Maybe a little melodramatic but it’s definitely stupid and dangerous in my situation. But I appreciate the info.

What would be used about it? Are you telling me they can’t have a mechanism in place to put winter wheels which they sell in their store at the factory instead of the summers? They already have the option to put on 19” or 21” wheels. They can’t have an option for winter wheels too? Seems kind of sad for such a large company.
Tires that have been mounted on a wheel and driven on = used. Yes maybe only used for a couple miles but still used.

The stores don’t usually have a stock of winter wires and wheels on hand. They are shipped to the stores after being ordered.

No other automakers have a winter tire option you can factory order that I know of. Winter wheel/tire package is considered an accessory or dealer installed option.

Tires that have been mounted on a wheel and driven on = used. Yes maybe only used for a couple miles but still used.

The stores don’t usually have a stock of winter wires and wheels on hand. They are shipped to the stores after being ordered.

No other automakers have a winter tire option you can factory order that I know of. Winter wheel/tire package is considered an accessory or dealer installed option.
One of the reasons I like Tesla because they tend to try things differently from other automakers. It makes zero sense to deliver a car with summer wheels to a delivery center hours away in the middle of winter with the ground covered in snow and ice. It’s irresponsible and dangerous when they can simply offer an option to deliver the car with winter wheels already on it. This should not be a difficult problem to solve for a brilliant company like Tesla.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
One of the reasons I like Tesla because they tend to try things differently from other automakers. It makes zero sense to deliver a car with summer wheels to a delivery center hours away in the middle of winter with the ground covered in snow and ice. It’s irresponsible and dangerous when they can simply offer an option to deliver the car with winter wheels already on it. This should not be a difficult problem to solve for a brilliant company like Tesla.
If you buy a new BMW M5, or high performance Mercedes, it will come with summer tires.

Reactions: mm9351 and E90alex
Why do you recommended not getting the Tesla option?

I don't like staggered setups -- ESPECIALLY in winter wheels/tires where a staggered setup offers zero additional benefit. None. In fact it's worse if you're driving in snow -- wide tires are awful for snow.

I've argued before that even in staggered summer setups are only for machismo bragging rights and offer no additional handling benefits unless you are on a track pushing the car to the limits of adhesion. For regular street driving, staggered wheels make no difference whatsoever and also come with the added headache that you can't even rotate them. With a square setup, at least you can rotate front to back.

Reactions: AMPd and dsm363