TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Summon suddenly appeared on my iPhone app from inside my hotel

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Babasnoopy, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Babasnoopy

Babasnoopy Member

I'm not anywhere near my car. 2 floors up in a hotel, and on the main screen Summon has appeared. I'm afraid to touch it. :scared: What if my car tries to drive through a wall to find me??? But wouldn't it be nice if it could pick me up a the front door. :love: Has anyone else seen this? I thought you had to be within 10 feet of the car.

image.png

2. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

This happens to me (and presumably everyone else). The phone's geo-location is only so precise. It certainly has no way of knowing it is within 10 feet of the car. Even if the car's location is known to a high degree of precision, your phone's location could be off by hundreds of feet depending upon the mix of signals it is receiving (GPS, Wi-Fi, GLONASS, etc.) As a result, we can presume that the option to enable summon has a fairly relaxed fence. Otherwise, the summon option would not come up when you were in fact near the car.

On a related note, the key-fob's summon feature appears to work any time the fob is within range - you certainly don't have to be within 10 feet either. I have successfully used it from more than 200 feet away. (Before anyone admonishes me, I was on the eighth floor of a building, my car was in an empty parking lot, and it was clearly visible.).

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I haven't able to get the summons icon to show on my 6s+

4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Actually you have this backwards. When this pops up on your iPhone it just means the car is summoning you:smile: since it is anxious to get going

5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

"Excuse me, sir/ma'am.. but apparently your car has parked itself in the middle of Main Street."

6. msnow

msnow Active Member