Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon will pull out of my garage, but won't pull in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3LR; I've tried summon many, many times.

It pulls out of the garage just fine (even though sometimes I have to press it a few times before it finally commits).

It will not pull into the garage backwards or forwards, from the app or with auto park. It just will not attempt to go in that wide open door. It's pretty tight, but I obviously pull into it every day.

I've even pulled it in some, then summoned it. In this situation, it stops ~3 feet from the back and won't pull all the way in even though I've adjusted the settings to the lowest clearance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, give up on summon...unfortunately it's a piece of garbage.

Okay, to be fair, I haven't tried it in years because for some unknown reason even though my current garage is significantly wider than my previous home's, the car insisted on steering towards my wife's car (I suppose to avoid the side of the garage door opening) at which point it would just give up. So I took my own advice and haven't bothered with it after the first several attempts.

Possibly it may work in a single car garage where it has both the left and right sides of the opening to avoid (and can perhaps center itself), but in my two car garage setup, it has never worked.

I even have trouble getting it out of the garage. Occasionally I need to pull the car out to get the garbage cans out to the curb, but summon usually refuses to budge the car. And even if it does work, it takes so long for the app to come up and connect to the car, etc. that it's just not worth it.

Before I bought the car, I dreamt of being able to get out of my car in the driveway and then effortlessly have the car back into the garage at the push of a button so I could charge (just like the promotional videos showed). The reality, however, is that it really doesn't work.

Reactions: Kimmi
Upvote 0
In my MS, in the Summons menu, there is a setting for side clearance. My manual says:

Side Clearance: Choose an option to specify how much side clearance you want to allow. Tight allows Model S to enter and exit very narrow parking spaces.

WARNING: Parking in a narrow space limits the ability of the sensors to accurately detect the location of obstacles, increasing the risk of damage to Model S and/or surrounding objects.

Upvote 0