Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking into getting on the sunroof tinted a light tint.
I have a few questions regarding the tint.

Which kind of tint would be safe. I heard the glass can crack with certain types of tint.

Also does anyone know of a good tint shop around So Cal?

I would like to go a little darker
Funny, I wish there was a way to remove the factory tint and make it lighter. Can't make everyone happy.

Or coud they? It would be super cool if Tesla used electrically adjustable tint. I think that is a real thing.

100% opaque when parked in the sun, totally transparent at night. And adjustable to whatever the driver likes when driving during the day!

I tinted the entire car (glass other than the windshield) with Llumar IRX ceramic at 40% (NC legal). The IR blocking is a noticeable reduction in heat from the sun.

B59A5D07-1B51-4C13-84D9-189A4BA6B7E0.jpeg

I tinted the sunroof and rear to 20% since I had noticed my head getting pretty hot here in Houston last September when I first got the car. While the ceramic tint works perfectly to reduce the heat, I wish I’d have tried the sunshade first. In the daytime, the visibility through the roof is still pretty good but it is severely degraded at night.

If you tint, don’t go too dark on the roof.

• Informative
Reactions: txwoodchuck
I tinted the sunroof and rear to 20% since I had noticed my head getting pretty hot here in Houston last September when I first got the car. While the ceramic tint works perfectly to reduce the heat, I wish I’d have tried the sunshade first. In the daytime, the visibility through the roof is still pretty good but it is severely degraded at night.

If you tint, don’t go too dark on the roof.

Oh yeah I won’t. I’m going to do a light tint. I heard the sun beats down on you. I live in So Cal, it gets pretty hot during the summer. Plus, at a later time I will be tinting the whole car minus the front windshield. I want the car to be all one tint

Any tint should be safe and shouldn't cause cracking. Cracking glass is caused by excessive heating during installation of the tint. If you want the sunroof to match the back glass, make sure you do both the windows in the same shade. You can go lighter if you want, but because the glass already comes dyed to be so dark, even doing something like 70-75% isn't as big of a difference as you may think.

With every state having different allowable tint % how do you ensure your tint is legal everywhere? Ive always been confused about this.

Is there a recommended tint% so that it is uniform all around including front driver/passenger windows but excluding windshield? With the roof being factory tinted, I don't want to make it too dark but would like it to be uniform with the back windshield- would it be dumb to just start the tint where roofline fades into the back?

I got one of the roof sun shades off amazon. Just installed it. It’s night now so I can’t tell how much of a difference it’ll make here in the hot Arizona sun, but it fits quite well. I used the clips but I’m not sure I had to.

With every state having different allowable tint % how do you ensure your tint is legal everywhere? Ive always been confused about this.

Is there a recommended tint% so that it is uniform all around including front driver/passenger windows but excluding windshield? With the roof being factory tinted, I don't want to make it too dark but would like it to be uniform with the back windshield- would it be dumb to just start the tint where roofline fades into the back?

The laws are different everywhere, but I believe for tint it has to be legal in the state in which you’re registered.

I got one of the roof sun shades off amazon. Just installed it. It’s night now so I can’t tell how much of a difference it’ll make here in the hot Arizona sun, but it fits quite well. I used the clips but I’m not sure I had to.

The laws are different everywhere, but I believe for tint it has to be legal in the state in which you’re registered.

Can you send me pictures of what it looks nice in the sun?

I thought sunroof factory tint was good enough - but car was in the sun on a 90 degree day and without preconditioning cabin the top of my head felt hot. I'm not particularly tall.

Maybe just need sunshade for the hot days.