Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harrisburg, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged here last night. Was a little worried when the Tesla nav said 7 of 8 stalls in use. Arrived to find only 1 stall in use. Pulled into 3b. First attempt to start was a no go (forgot about this thread). Second attempt at 3b worked fine for a while. It did stop once and I had to remove and reinsert the plug to get it going again. Met several other nice owners there while charging. The other pull in spot (maybe 1A?) was not working.

C1678602-6A54-485F-94A0-3F44D954D7F6.jpeg
FD16C250-473E-443E-9535-54D11F16DD81.jpeg
Nice to see the locals finally being converted. I talked to Alan, the owner. He’s had the car for two months and is having a blast. Great that the plate makes sense for both the car and the franchise.

This charger is currently listed as “Temporary Closure” as of today. The last few times I’ve been up there my charging speeds have been sub-par when having the stalls to myself. Also, one of the stalls (2A I think) hasn’t been working either.

This charger is currently listed as “Temporary Closure” as of today. The last few times I’ve been up there my charging speeds have been sub-par when having the stalls to myself. Also, one of the stalls (2A I think) hasn’t been working either.
Carlisle had temporary closure yesterday but that is over. I checked it out and a Model S was charging. Must be a rolling maintenance thing.

This charging station is regularly at capacity on Sunday, especially on holiday weekends. Yesterday being a case in point. I pushed my range to charge in Lancaster. The charging station under construction in Mechanicsburg may help but it is only 8 stalls. Fortunately it is 250 kW while Harrisburg and Carlisle are only 150 kW. Any rumored new charging stations nearer the confluence of I81, I83 and Rt 322?

Had a strange experience at the Carlisle Supercharger yesterday. I plugged in (to an almost full site) and a guy drives up in an ICE vehicle and asks me (rhetorically) why everyone is coming to this (Carlisle) Supercharger when the "one at Weis" has "a crap ton" of stations and a solar canopy, etc. Now it's been since July since I've been to Harrisburg, but I certainly am not aware of any such expansion! I tried to confirm that he was in fact talking about a TESLA Supercharger site (and not some level 2 complex), and he was insistent that it was a Supercharger site. He implied that he drove a Tesla, but that he didn't often have an opportunity to use that site (but his wife sometimes does because she doesn't like to take the car below 25% (maybe even 50%) SOC, but he's fine running it right down to "turtle mode", and that one time he even ran out of juice and had to call a buddy to push the car to his driveway (?)

I continued to push him on whether the site he was talking about was the Harrisburg SC, and he kept saying yeah, the one by the Weis off Union Deposit Rd.

So who knows what he was actually talking about (unless something really has changed at this site recently!)

As for me, traveling along I-81, diverting to the Harrisburg SC was not really an attractive option anyway (not sure why he thought it would be, even if the Harrisburg site was expanded). The way he was talking to me (assuming I was familiar with the area), maybe he just assumed that most Tesla drivers were local and could just freely chose whatever charging station in the area they wished?) Like I said, very strange interaction!

I will say that I-81 north of Maryland really needs some Supercharger love. From the new site in Syracuse (Destiny Mall) to Hagerstown, there are no V3's, and the sites along that route are getting a bit crowded. With the lousy weather yesterday, I had to stop at all 3 sites on that route: Binghamton, Moosic and Carlisle (in better weather I've had no problem making that stretch only stopping at Moosic). I never had to wait to plug in, but Moosic and Carlisle were pretty much full, meaning slower charging.