Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Announcement 2013/05/30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do ever start to think we're being "played?" This is getting ridiculous.

I don't understand this comment. As far as I can see, the only ridiculous thing is the breathless daily anticipation on these forums of the announcements. People here generate their own impatience. I'm sure they'll announce things soon. Tesla talked about 2 and 5 year plans. I didn't expect monthly updates.

I don't understand this comment. As far as I can see, the only ridiculous thing is the breathless daily anticipation on these forums of the announcements. People here generate their own impatience. I'm sure they'll announce things soon. Tesla talked about 2 and 5 year plans. I didn't expect monthly updates.

Were it not for the breathless Tweets from our fearless leader, there would be far less impatience generated. Say what you're gonna do, then do it. If there are issues, then don't say we are going to have a major announcement in a week, 2 weeks ago.

Were it not for the breathless Tweets from our fearless leader, there would be far less impatience generated. Say what you're gonna do, then do it. If there are issues, then don't say we are going to have a major announcement in a week, 2 weeks ago.

Except what he actually said on 4/3 was:

The next one will be sometime next week. It could be as soon as Monday, but we haven’t decided on a firm date. Did I mention we’ll be focusing on service? The Monday announcement is going to be focused on service. And in the following week or two after that we’re going to have a big announcement on the supercharger network, and then following that we’re going to have a mystery announcement or two if people aren’t completely sick of hearing about us. Ha ha.

So less than 3 weeks ago he said there would be an announcement in the next 2-3 weeks. It has currently been a week and a half since the loaner car service announcement.

Except what he actually said on 4/3 was:

The next one will be sometime next week. It could be as soon as Monday, but we haven’t decided on a firm date. Did I mention we’ll be focusing on service? The Monday announcement is going to be focused on service. And in the following week or two after that we’re going to have a big announcement on the supercharger network, and then following that we’re going to have a mystery announcement or two if people aren’t completely sick of hearing about us. Ha ha.

So less than 3 weeks ago he said there would be an announcement in the next 2-3 weeks. It has currently been a week and a half since the loaner car service announcement.

He also tweeted "@batasrki Stay tuned for a big Supercharger announcement in a few weeks. Definitely have you covered." on 4/11/2013. An announcement in late April or early May would be consistent with this tweet.

What do we have now? 6? 7? 20 would definitely be a significant increase (~300%). This quarter ends in June, so if they announce them this week and roll out over the next 3 weeks or so, it would put them right in the middle. Then perhaps another 20 3 months later?

Nah, management gives the installation crew a sealed envelope and tells them not to open it until they're in the interstate.

This isn't far off. I was in the Menlo Park service center this morning and the folks in the show room do not know where the new ones are coming online and when the announcement would be made. There is apparently is a special engineering team devoted to this and they take feedback but only they have access to the secret black box with the final answers.

You folks in CA are funny. Several superchargers already, and anxious for more. Down here in Florida, our Model S sales are still pretty strong, but we're currently 1,100 miles from the closest supercharger. I hope that will change this quarter. Heck, even Disney World hasn't installed a single L2 charging station.

I heard a rumor today that a supercharger will be up and operational in Santa Barbara in 6 weeks. We need spies in Santa Barbara to find the location!!

Unless they are also opening one north of SLO, not sure how that helps anyone driving between Santa Barbara and the Bay Area. For anyone without twin chargers (I have them) and even with them, it's going to be a long stop somewhere between Gilroy and Santa Barbara.

I heard a rumor today that a supercharger will be up and operational in Santa Barbara in 6 weeks. We need spies in Santa Barbara to find the location!!
Hopefully with another one in Paso Robles, or some other half way-ish spot
247 miles from Gilroy to SB is too big of a stretch

Very excited!

Edit: I realize this makes us California folk seem extremely selfish to get two supercharger routes when many don't even have one!
But it will give those who travel between NorCal-SoCal another highway option, while also prepping for the future of certain stations not getting full of cars when more Model S's make the trip, since some might be taking the 101 and others the 5

Last edited:
Hopefully with another one in Paso Robles, or some other half way-ish spot
247 miles from Gilroy to SB is too big of a stretch

Very excited!

Edit: I realize this makes us California folk seem extremely selfish to get two supercharger routes when many don't even have one!
But it will give those who travel between NorCal-SoCal another highway option, while also prepping for the future of certain stations not getting full of cars when more Model S's make the trip, since some might be taking the 101 and others the 5

Agree. I fully sympathize with those in other states who want to see even one supercharger, but right now California has the highest density of deliveries by far, and adding only a few more here could basically complete one large piece of the puzzle.

That is true.
One day I hope we get to see the entire US covered, but right now as a California resident who loves to travel down south I'm happy about the possibility of a second route to relieve the congestion that would otherwise have been happening with a single route.
Although adding more bays can solve this problem in the future!