Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Atascadero, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@CharleyBC Atascadero is definitely one of the older installations, and seems to becoming problematic. I haven’t had issues there as yet, but rarely stop there. I do recall they have a couple J1772’s back there, but that nets you 6+ kW, so, not helpful.

As far as stories go, I like to think our (bad) experience was one of the better outcomes for TM.

Shortly after Mojave, CA SC opened, March of ‘15, I was excited to be able to reduce a normal 10 hr drive from the Bay to Vegas (sis in law lives there, but they have Craps too ;-) in an ICE.

Rolled into Mojave as we looked around us at overturned empty Semi’s and hearing about high winds on the radio.
50 mile radius w/o power. I had 8 Rated when we rolled in.

We spent the next couple hours directing a handful of other LA owners south to other charging, whilst we awaited a tow truck from Tehachapi for the next couple hours. They, TM, flatbedded us on their dime to Barstow so we could continue our trip.

What I tell ICE folks, is, that if they showed up with an eighth of a tank, they would have been as screwed as me.

@CharleyBC Atascadero is definitely one of the older installations, and seems to becoming problematic. I haven’t had issues there as yet, but rarely stop there. I do recall they have a couple J1772’s back there, but that nets you 6+ kW, so, not helpful.

As far as stories go, I like to think our (bad) experience was one of the better outcomes for TM.

Shortly after Mojave, CA SC opened, March of ‘15, I was excited to be able to reduce a normal 10 hr drive from the Bay to Vegas (sis in law lives there, but they have Craps too ;-) in an ICE.

Rolled into Mojave as we looked around us at overturned empty Semi’s and hearing about high winds on the radio.
50 mile radius w/o power. I had 8 Rated when we rolled in.

We spent the next couple hours directing a handful of other LA owners south to other charging, whilst we awaited a tow truck from Tehachapi for the next couple hours. They, TM, flatbedded us on their dime to Barstow so we could continue our trip.

What I tell ICE folks, is, that if they showed up with an eighth of a tank, they would have been as screwed as me.
Wow! I’ll take my Atascadero story. I hope I never have one like yours. Glad they rescued you!

Atascadero local here, the SC does get pretty full on holidays and weekends but the new charger in Paso Robles about 20 minutes north is much larger (28 stalls, some V3) has taken off some of the pressure. The big advantage for A-town is the places to eat within walking distance and a quicker on/off for Hwy 101 unless you are heading east/west on Hwy 46.
I’ll stop here if I can just for SloDoCo. :)

Reactions: Bigtanuki
I actually like to stop here for the restaurants down the street even though the SCs have sometimes been hit or miss (slower charging, not all working sometimes or stalls close to full and pairing not ideal). One of the “drawbacks” to v3 is that it gets you in and out much quicker and you don’t have as much time to enjoy your meal :).

Another favorite stop for me is to drop by Bob’s Well Bread Bakery in Los Alamos for a bite on the way further south on 101 (between Pismo and Buelton). They have a HPWC in the back so a slow touch and go if needed but just enjoy the food. Love when we’re not pressed to arrive by a certain time and can enjoy the local eateries along the way. Might not have found these places if we didn’t have a Tesla and stopping for a charge. Pleasure comes experiencing the journey we take along the way.

Last edited:
Local Tesla owner here. A couple of other alternatives for food and drink within about a half mile.

Malibu Brew (Yelp review) - by the park (north) across El Camino Real. Shaded patio. Doc Burnstein's ice cream (local favorite), smoothies, burritos. Park available for kids to burn off some energy. No playground but lots of grassy area for frisbee or chasing the dog.
Byblos Mediterranean food - north to the Carlton hotel and right on Traffic Way about a half block. Small indoor dining areal. Shaded outdoor tables, nice in summer.
Streetside Ale House - A couple doors south of Carlton Hotel. Lots of variety. Nice outdoor patio. Dogs allowed on patio. Can get noisy inside
Central Coast Cafe (Yelp review) - Across the street from Byblos. Good size menu and seating area. Quiet. Breakfast and lunch
Sylvester's Burgers - Good old fashioned big juicy (greasy) burgers. Dog friendly patio. Bring a bib!
Kuma - A food truck next door to Sylvester's selling asian fusion is there most days too - Never eaten at the food truck so YMMV.
SLODOCO - SLO Donut Company. Opened recently. Open 5 a.m to 10 p.m. KIller donuts and coffee. Nice patio (dog friendly?) with a fireplace. Right across the street from the charger. Good and good for ya!

As a side note, the charger appears busy on weekdays after work hours. Looks like mostly after work folks, but still stalls available. Google's site for the charger has some information on busy times that looks pretty accurate. Not live information like the Tesla information but some good history.

Enjoy
Adding some new eateries in Atascadero. The ones within walking distance are noted as such. There are a few that are in the "get it to go and eat while charging category" and will be noted as such.

Sadly, some of the places above didn't survive COVID. Central Coast Cafe and Kuma are no longer around.

Malu's Kitchen (Yelp Review) Good Mexican food. Malu is from Chihuahua and the food reflects her recipes. A bit more of a homemade vibe to the food. Get anything with the red sauce (OMG). Also has a reasonable selection of American favorites like burgers and sandwiches. Nice little patio with umbrellas but only a few tables inside. Very reasonable prices. Recommend ordering to go and eat while charging.
La Parilla Walking distance to the charger. Another very good Mexican restaurant. Menu is exclusively Mexican and very large and the food is good.
Moe's Pizza Up the road a ways but the pizza gets good reviews. They have a selection of Greek food too. The Baklava is to die for. To go and eat while charging.
Back Porch Bakery - Great little bakery in the Carlton Hotel building. Opens at 7 am and they have some killer breakfast sandos as well as lots of baked goodies. The morning buns are incredible. Eat them outside the car otherwise you'll have cinnamon and pastry flakes EVERYWHERE. Online menu wasn't working when I checked but hey, why pass up the opportunity to go smell all that fresh baked bread.
Cielo Atascadero's first real upscale restaurant. Save this place for when you are ending your trip in A Town after wine tasting. Good food, great bar. They have a rooftop bar too.

To go back to the 'old' days, I purchased my Roadster in 2011. When driving from Santa Barbara to SF, I would look at the movie times in Atascadero and time a charge at the then 'fast charger' (70 amps--all the Roadster could take) at Rabobank. The movie would last 2 hours and that charge would get me to Salinas to charge for 30 minutes again at Rabobank. Then off to SF. One just took their chances as there not a whole lot of chargers and you couldn't tell if they were going to be empty or not. A total crap shoot. But little competition for chargers in those days. And, fortunately, I am still driving that car--my favorite of all time!