Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Encinitas, CA - Encinitas Blvd (under construction Oct 2023, 8 V3 stalls and service center)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s in an urban area. Paging @RandyS what say you?
It looks like the earlier original materials (dated 4/15/22) are for the service center renovation, and the 8 SC stalls are stated in Note 3 to be part of a future permit, separate service and separate meter. That's what I think the second set of drawings are for, dated 2/27/23).

It looks to me that Tesla is taking the most expeditious path to get things up and running as quickly as possible, given the various power and schedule constraints. Eight 250kW SC stalls are nothing to sneeze at, power-wise, and will require a 1 MW (1,000 kVA) transformer. A typical circuit from a utility substation is anywhere from 4 to 6 MW, so my guess is that they are going with a design that will allow them to move forward more quickly and use existing spare capacity on the distribution circuit without having to worry about utility backend upgrades (which can delay the project and cost a lot of $$$)...That would be my back-of-the-napkin analysis as to why there's "only" 8 SC stalls in this location...

I keep driving by there every couple of weeks and pull into the circle to see if there's progress (I think the contractors think I'm nuts, "oh there's that weird Tesla car again"). Anyways, still no progress on Supercharger construction, but they now have a new Tesla sign on the road!

IMG_5826.jpg

Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr
Not too much progress in the last week. You can see the two big conduits heading up the left wall for the two stalls on the upper level. The grid connection conduit kinda stops at a random location and that trench is partially back filled with slurry.
IMG_5991.jpeg

IMG_5990.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
There was a lot progress in one day! The site was a hive of activity when I checked it out around 1:30pm. I did confirm as best as I could visually that the stalls do not have magic docks. The two white cabinets we saw yesterday appear to be switchgear cabinets, and the two supercharger cabinets were in place today, along with six v3 stalls.

IMG_6055.jpeg
IMG_6057.jpeg
IMG_6059.jpeg

Reactions: Dave EV and scotteh
Latest pics. Almost complete. I believe they already pulled wire. Even the upper two stalls have been installed. Just needs some paving and a transformer. Nonetheless I suspect won’t be open until 2024 since the rest of the building needs to get done too.

IMG_6097.jpeg
IMG_6098.jpeg

Reactions: gaswalla
FWIW, SDGE trucks have been out working at night along Encinitas Blvd from the Ford dealership going towards the Tesla Superchargers store for the last couple weeks - wonder if they're doing work related to getting enough power for the Superchargers...

It's only 2 V3 cabinets, so around 387 kVA max per cabinet or 774 kVA for both. I wonder what the typical power demands for the area are, there is a decent amount of commercial space at that intersection.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Swung by there today. Looks like they’ve run conduit to the HV by the street. Presumably they’ll pull the actual wire later.

They’ve taken down the green construction fence around the front of the building, so that’s coming along too. You can see destination chargers at the front of the building, 2 superchargers, and then 6 in the parking lot below. The superchargers might be for store/service use only the way it configured? Not sure.

My guess is this location is a couple of months from opening.

IMG_6309.jpeg
IMG_6308.jpeg
IMG_6307.jpeg