Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Athens, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like seeing new SCs in East Texas, but it's shocking that the recent additions haven't landed on I-20. I doubt this will take much pressure off of Lindale.

I personally haven't been to the Lindale site (yet), but there are quite a few people asking Tesla to add SCs to non-interstate routes. One of my main paths is Little Rock to Austin (and back). I'd prefer to go diagonal across east Texas from Texarkana to Austin rather than go through Dallas. This particular site will help me with that by providing more options, and potentially eliminate a stop in Lindale. Similar could be true for others. Just because Lindale serves the I-20 routes doesn't mean all Lindale users are making an I-20 route. It's probably a small percentage, but often times that's all it takes to get a service back to being speedy.

That said, yeah why aren't there more I-20 sites? Canton, Kilgore/Longview, Marshall? Same can be said for I-40 between OKC and Fort Smith, Arkansas. Still one of the longest unserved interstate routes.

I like seeing new SCs in East Texas, but it's shocking that the recent additions haven't landed on I-20. I doubt this will take much pressure off of Lindale.
Personally, I think I'll use this charger instead of Lindale for Austin-Shreveport trips. Having a V3/250KWh option will make this a preferable stop to Lindale. It also lessens the need to take the Hwy 49 toll road from the west side of Tyler up to the Lindale SC. While that route shaves about 3 minutes off the trip according to google maps, taking the loop around Tyler to get up to I-20 instead reduces the milage of the total trip by ~8 miles.

I am curious of the amenities that will be at this location. Does anyone know what they are building here?

I would miss the stop at Collin Street Bakery in Lindale but there are other options for that in Corsicana and Waco along the route.

Reactions: plumazul
Athens, TX

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Gateway
Interstates: None
US Numbered Highways: US-175
Auxiliary Interstates: None
State Highways: TX-19, TX-31

US-175:
To: End (US-69 Jacksonville, TX) - 40.2 miles
Diversion: 1.6 miles

Another 1st Supercharger on a short, Texas US Highway.

Reactions: CarlS and Kewmpie1
That said, yeah why aren't there more I-20 sites? Canton, Kilgore/Longview, Marshall? Same can be said for I-40 between OKC and Fort Smith, Arkansas. Still one of the longest unserved interstate routes.
I-20 at 259 in Longview or 42 in Kilgore seem like great locations for Superchargers.

There are Red E CCS chargers off I-20 in Longview, but they haven't been very reliable and are about 50¢/kWh!

I emailed the RAS for this project asking if he had an updated completion date. He said no then asked who I was. :)

Hello, Jeff!

I was wondering if you knew the status of this project and an updated completion date?

Kind regards,

Roger ****

I do not. Who are you?

Jeff ****

I posted in an Athens, TX Facebook community group asking for an update and got laughed at. :)

1704399323895.png

Since I can't remember the last time I was in Athens and couldn't get answers any other way, I decided to take little road trip there today to eat lunch and see how much progress, if any, has been made with the new travel center where the Superchargers will be located. I'll report back with my findings.

Google shows construction just beginning for Taco Casa / Gateway / Shell in April 2023 where the Superchargers are planned. I suspect those stores may be nearing completion, but they aren't listed yet on their respective websites.

Also, there's no guarantee the date and/or imagery shown by Google is correct.

Check out that "tandem axle" van courtesy of an image stitching error in Google Street View. ;)

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 08.53.58.png
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 08.53.45.png
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 08.53.18.png

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS and doeandjon
As of today, the outside of the building and concrete work are mostly complete, but the interior looks like it still needs a lot of work. There are no gas pumps or Superchargers on site. The permit for the Superchargers shows a December completion date, but I didn't not see any signs of prep work for them. Based on the rate of progress from April 2023 to today, I'd guess it will be at least 2-3 more months before these Superchargers are ready for use.

tempImageWBonag.jpg
tempImageclq0PY.jpg
tempImageGzJ84F.jpg
tempImage1ZvlN7.jpg
tempImagekpQSzO.jpg

I stopped at a small sandwich/sub shop called Shenanigans Deli while I was there. Good sandwich and soup and reasonably priced. They have lots of homemade cakes and cookies, too.

tempImagevf80xS.jpg
tempImagew2ZESk.jpg

As of today, the outside of the building and concrete work are mostly complete, but the interior looks like it still needs a lot of work. There are no gas pumps or Superchargers on site. The permit for the Superchargers shows a December completion date, but I didn't not see any signs of prep work for them. Based on the rate of progress from April 2023 to today, I'd guess it will be at least 2-3 more months before these Superchargers are ready for use.

View attachment 1006711View attachment 1006712View attachment 1006713View attachment 1006714View attachment 1006715

I stopped at a small sandwich/sub shop called Shenanigans Deli while I was there. Good sandwich and soup and reasonably priced. They have lots of homemade cakes and cookies, too.

View attachment 1006720View attachment 1006721

Any updates on this site?

Wow. That was FAST - twice as fast as my shortest estimate based on what I saw exactly one month ago. Thanks for the update!

That looks like a security camera in the middle by the trash can. I can't say I've ever seen a camera at Superchargers before, but I've only been to about a half-dozen Supercharger locations. If so, that's good idea - people here in East Texas don't take too kindly to EVs and there are a lot of crackheads here - I can see vandalism and copper theft being an issue.

Reactions: CarlS
Wow. That was FAST - twice as fast as my shortest estimate based on what I saw exactly one month ago. Thanks for the update!

That looks like a security camera in the middle by the trash can. I can't say I've ever seen a camera at Superchargers before, but I've only been to about a half-dozen Supercharger locations. If so, that's good idea - people here in East Texas don't take too kindly to EVs and there are a lot of crackheads here - I can see vandalism and copper theft being an issue.
Great idea to add the camera. I've been to over 100 superchargers and can't recall seeing a dedicated security camera for the chargers. Having grown up in the area there are a lot of people who believe that EV's are a liberal agenda out to take away their beloved diesel trucks....many in this group are great people and would never consider committing a crime but there are always outliers. No doubt we will see icing at this location.

Reactions: zroger73