Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn, CA (LIVE 3 Feb 2022, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...ref. the photo in the previous post...I'd normally assume the empty pad with bollards and conduit, front and center, is the transformer pad. But it looks pretty small to hold a utility transformer. Does that seem odd to anyone else? Thoughts?

Bruce.

Reactions: Acps110
**UPDATE 10/18/2021**
I didn't see anything else, other than a separate concrete pad with multiple poles around it. Here's the latest
20211018_124436.jpg

20211018_124429.jpg

20211018_124327.jpg

20211018_124346.jpg

20211018_124315.jpg

20211018_124256.jpg

20211018_124242.jpg

Attachments

• 20211018_124253.jpg
    20211018_124253.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 49
If I had to guess, this is the pad I would keep an eye out for the transformer placement.

View attachment 723024
The circled pad above is almost certainly for the utility transformer. Assuming the single conduit is for the high voltage (distribution voltage) conductors and the 4 clustered conduits are for the low voltage (277Y480V) conductors, the smaller pad could be for a HV distribution box.

Reactions: mociaf9 and DWdrum
It may be 75 actual miles, but my experience is that it is nearly twice that in battery drain due to the uphill .. maybe 140 to 150 miles of charge or so. The opposite direction is more fun when I use about 50 miles of charge for a 95 mile trip. For those who have enough charge to easily make it to Auburn, it may be a better choice than Rocklin, especially if they are heading as far as the Reno/Sparks area.

Yes, that's my experience also. Lifting a 5000 lb car from 500 feet elevation to 7400 feet to get over Donner Pass is a lot of work (in the physics sense of m * g * h). It takes me 70% of battery capacity (75 kwh S) to drive the 140 miles from Palo Alto to Loomis and then another 60% to drive the 75 odd miles to Truckee. The new SC at the Raleys in Loomis is great! It takes some of the load off Rocklin and it's way easier access from I-80 than either of the Roseville SCs or the Rocklin one at the dealership. Also you've got Raleys (with integral Peet's), Subway and Starbucks within easy walk. I don't now the area in Auburn where they are building the new SC. We spotted it from the highway last time we made the drive. It's on the other side of 80 from Raleys. As one of the earlier commenters said, the Raleys parking lot would have been perfect, so I'm a little puzzled they didn't go that route. But maybe once I've tasted the tacos on the other side, it will all become clear! ;^) ...

Yes, that's my experience also. Lifting a 5000 lb car from 500 feet elevation to 7400 feet to get over Donner Pass is a lot of work (in the physics sense of m * g * h). It takes me 70% of battery capacity (75 kwh S) to drive the 140 miles from Palo Alto to Loomis and then another 60% to drive the 75 odd miles to Truckee. The new SC at the Raleys in Loomis is great! It takes some of the load off Rocklin and it's way easier access from I-80 than either of the Roseville SCs or the Rocklin one at the dealership. Also you've got Raleys (with integral Peet's), Subway and Starbucks within easy walk. I don't now the area in Auburn where they are building the new SC. We spotted it from the highway last time we made the drive. It's on the other side of 80 from Raleys. As one of the earlier commenters said, the Raleys parking lot would have been perfect, so I'm a little puzzled they didn't go that route. But maybe once I've tasted the tacos on the other side, it will all become clear! ;^) ...
Loomis is the best, but I've definitely pulled into the last open spot a couple times. I'm usually traveling with 2 mtbs on the back and that definitely requires more joose going up the hill. Just need more right-off-the-80 v3s since it all tends to just about fill up.