Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Between Denton and Amarillo on US 287

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In planning a trip from New Orleans to Colorado, I was quite surprised to find there was no Supercharger along this route to split the 325 mile distance between these cities. US 287 is a most popular route for crossing through Texas for Santa Fe and the parks north into Colorado. Perhaps someone more familiar with the selection process could offer some insight.

In planning a trip from New Orleans to Colorado, I was quite surprised to find there was no Supercharger along this route to split the 325 mile distance between these cities. US 287 is a most popular route for crossing through Texas for Santa Fe and the parks north into Colorado. Perhaps someone more familiar with the selection process could offer some insight.
having done that trip recently the only insight that I can offer is that for now you'll have to suck it up and stick to the SC route. I don't see them filling this in before they fill in the many other glaring gaps in SC coverage.
maybe a putting note on the SC site suggestion page would help.

having done that trip recently the only insight that I can offer is that for now you'll have to suck it up and stick to the SC route. I don't see them filling this in before they fill in the many other glaring gaps in SC coverage.
maybe a putting note on the SC site suggestion page would help.
I would love to see a SpC in Wichita Falls. Wichita Falls and Childress used to be part of the plan, but apparently they've been postponed until past 2016.

It's 264 miles from the Denton SpC to the Shamrock SpC, via highways 287 and 83. It might be possible in a Tesla with 85 or 90 pack if you take it easy, and if you can get some level 2 charging for an hour or two somewhere in between. Check Plugshare. The Nissan dealer in Wichita Falls is said to be accommodating, and there are several RV parks along the way.

But as of now the only way to really be sure is to detour through Oklahoma. That's what I did on my recent road trip. Ardmore and Weatherford can be quick 15 minute stops, the distances aren't that far. Oklahoma City is at an outlet mall and there are several dining options within walking distance; not so many hotels though.

At least we can get there, even if we have to drive north to Oklahoma City and turn left. There are lots of places we can't get to yet by superchargers, such as south Texas and west Texas. I would think that comes first, then they'll fill in some secondary routes such as DFW to Amarillo and I-40 west using 287 shortcut as the hypotenuse of the triangle.

Reactions: bollar
I was quite surprised to find there was no Supercharger along this route

I know things can come across differently than intended when written in text format, but you were really "surprised"? "Would be nice if there was a Supercharger" I would understand.. but given there are many locations which are completely inaccessible by SCs - and the fact Tesla have three other routes across (or out of) Texas in development - this route would be way down the priority list.

It might be worth contacting businesses along the route to see if they would be willing to host a destination charger though?

Reactions: bollar
It might be worth contacting businesses along the route to see if they would be willing to host a destination charger though?
there are L2s along the route and a "destination" charger doesn't really add anything. it will still take a couple of hours to charge whereas a SpC would do the same in minutes. we'll just have to wait for the SpC network to fill in.