Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boise, ID - N. Orchard St. (8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The existing Boise location is old, slow and inadequate.

08954E06-9DBE-41B9-BD9E-0D445359FED0.jpeg

Reactions: bruce4000 and KJD
Two posts above, the guy says that they are near capacity on the only v2 supercharger in a medium-sized city and it isn't even summer travel season yet. How is this an odd choice?
SR+ vehicles need to fully charge in even mildly cold weather to make the gap, so they end up sitting there drawing <35kW for 10-15 minutes. A splitter at Mountain Home would bypass Boise completely.

Edit: 3 stalls out of order... maybe they should start with fixing that?

Last edited:
SR+ vehicles need to fully charge in even mildly cold weather to make the gap, so they end up sitting there drawing <35kW for 10-15 minutes. A splitter at Mountain Home would bypass Boise completely.

Edit: 3 stalls out of order... maybe they should start with fixing that?
This seems to be the "either/or" fallacy which often gets repeated here on TMC. Just because a supercharger may be needed (or at least wanted) in Mountain Home, does not mean that one is not also needed in Boise. There's no reason that Tesla can't build both, and in fact, I'm sure they will.

This is the thread for the new v3 supercharger in Boise so that's what we should discuss here.

This seems to be the "either/or" fallacy which often gets repeated here on TMC. Just because a supercharger may be needed (or at least wanted) in Mountain Home, does not mean that one is not also needed in Boise. There's no reason that Tesla can't build both, and in fact, I'm sure they will.

This is the thread for the new v3 supercharger in Boise so that's what we should discuss here.
I ran the math. The existing setup can move 2.86 cars (3 SR+) per stall, per hour. Adding an 8 stall splitter in Mountain Home (not an ideal split, Glenn's Ferry would be better) would increase that to 6.67 per stall per hour (2.33X increase). Adding 8 stalls on either side of the gap is only a 2x, takes double the stalls and pre-heatpump SR+ cars still can't make the gap in extreme cold. Idaho had 3500 EVs total at the end of 2021, so I don't think local demand is that high.

Reactions: bruce4000
I'm not sure about your math for Boise. If the site is busy and cars are getting a max of 72 kW (which is generous), it's going to take an SR+ at least 45 minutes to get enough charge to continue its trip. ABRP suggests a 30 minute charge from 10% to 82% in normal conditions for the Boise to Twin Falls leg, arriving at 10%. Not to say that a splitter in Mountain Home wouldn't be great - it would. Pilot Travel Center, please.

I thought that the first to get there would get a higher charge rate until a certain SOC and then it would flip to favor the paired connection?

As @PLUS EV said, that ended a while ago. The current arrangement is that each car gets 72 kW (1/2) when a second car plugs in. When the first car drops below 36 kW (1/4) charging speed, the second car will get allocated up to 108 kW (3/4).

I ran the math. The existing setup can move 2.86 cars (3 SR+) per stall, per hour. Adding an 8 stall splitter in Mountain Home (not an ideal split, Glenn's Ferry would be better) would increase that to 6.67 per stall per hour (2.33X increase). Adding 8 stalls on either side of the gap is only a 2x, takes double the stalls and pre-heatpump SR+ cars still can't make the gap in extreme cold. Idaho had 3500 EVs total at the end of 2021, so I don't think local demand is that high.
So you're just assuming that everybody drives an SR+ 3? That's nuts.

I'm not sure about your math for Boise. If the site is busy and cars are getting a max of 72 kW (which is generous), it's going to take an SR+ at least 45 minutes to get enough charge to continue its trip. ABRP suggests a 30 minute charge from 10% to 82% in normal conditions for the Boise to Twin Falls leg, arriving at 10%. Not to say that a splitter in Mountain Home wouldn't be great - it would. Pilot Travel Center, please.
Yes, I made a lot of assumptions that would only work if the v2 sites were 50% full or perfect pairings were made (someone drawing 20kW is paired with someone who just arrived at 5% SoC). Part of the reason I picked the SR+ is that it spends so little time above 130kW that it might actually be plausible.

It's always great to see new Superchargers. Idaho is a bit lacking in general, especially if you want to go somewhere off the Interstate. McCall would be great. Ketchum could certainly use one. A small one in Arco for Craters of the Moon would be awesome. But as others have said, adding a better one in Boise doesn't take any of those off the table. It may even mean more attention in the area, making those more likely.

This is spot on, also, Tesla oftentimes has a hard time sourcing a host for superchargers in these less traveled regions. Tesla has been trying to find a host in Mountain Home for years at this point. If they have a 8 stall V3 supercharger sitting on a truck with the label "Mountain Home". That's equipment that they're spending money and resources to have lay around in wait. So instead start replacing old worn out V2 infrastructure with the spare equipment until they can source a host for a supercharger in Mountain Home. Sometimes they find a host but they can't get permits, or they can't secure the rights to the power. Many, and I mean MANY variables lead to these weird placements. There are tons of places across the US where a better supercharger could have gone. But holding up equipment for a location that doesn't have a host makes no sense. Instead enjoy getting a new V3 next to an old V2. Idaho has been neglected for a very long time. Any additional stalls across the state are nothing but a blessing at this point.

It's always great to see new Superchargers. Idaho is a bit lacking in general, especially if you want to go somewhere off the Interstate. McCall would be great. Ketchum could certainly use one. A small one in Arco for Craters of the Moon would be awesome. But as others have said, adding a better one in Boise doesn't take any of those off the table. It may even mean more attention in the area, making those more likely.
Oftentimes areas get looked at all at once, take Montana for example. So don't hold out hope that there aren't more waiting to be found!

Reactions: PLUS EV and pcrow