Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No details on how long the hold might be just yet...

Hi Liam,

It has been suggested that the difficulties in the lack of retail zoning at the service center is responsible for this delay. In other words, Tesla may be looking for another site that is zoned for retail sales. What isn't clear is why would this have any bearing on the "Tampa" Supercharger. Do you have any insights?

Larry

Hi Liam,

It has been suggested that the difficulties in the lack of retail zoning at the service center is responsible for this delay. In other words, Tesla may be looking for another site that is zoned for retail sales. What isn't clear is why would this have any bearing on the "Tampa" Supercharger. Do you have any insights?

Correct.

There could be an attempt from Tesla to keep SC's and SC's (hehehe... service centers and super charges) near each other for servicing purposes.

IMO every service center should have some kind of supercharger, even if it is limited power, for testing.

Some service centers have what I like to call mini-Superchargers. That is, a single Supercharger that can accommodate two charging connections. These are useful to support service center operations, but they absolutely do not support the intent of the Supercharger network. A typical real Supercharger station has 4 Superchargers that can accommodate 8 charging stalls and it is strategically located off of a major highway. It goes without saying that typical Supercharger Stations are located at host locations with lots of amenities. At most service centers all you can count on is a rest room and maybe a complimentary soft drink.

Although I seriously question the logic I can appreciate locating a service center near a legitimate Supercharger Station. I can not envision locating a Supercharger Station AT a service center. Again, what I mean by a Supercharger Station is a collection of Superchargers that support many Model S owners taking road trips.

Larry

Last edited:
Some service centers have what I like to call mini-Superchargers. That is, a single Supercharger that can accommodate two charging connections.

They have one of those "mini-superchargers" at Bethesda, MD in a shopping mall car lot. They say it's a temporary location and was activated just before the Washington DC meet earlier this year. I used it a couple of times while up there. It runs about 120 mile-an-hour charge rate. There is a Tesla store in the mall which is probably why they located it there.

IMG_20140217_105020.jpg

Really hope this gets headed back in the right direction; in the process of debating between the 60 and 85, wouldn't be able to quite make it from Fort Myers to Orlando in the 60. Not that I even drive to Orlando that much but its nice to be able to just go without pre-planning.

Really hope this gets headed back in the right direction; in the process of debating between the 60 and 85, wouldn't be able to quite make it from Fort Myers to Orlando in the 60. Not that I even drive to Orlando that much but its nice to be able to just go without pre-planning.
You could make it to Orlando from Ft Myers in a 60 if you took 31... And depending on where in Orlando you're headed.

I took the superchargers down from NJ to St. Petersburg last weekend. No issues getting there. In St. Petersburg I used public charging near my hotel to get a range charge overnight. I left St. Pete and stopped in Orlando for a few days (parked, moving only once to run to a local store for snacks) without any charging. On my return trip up I-4 to I-95 I actually skipped the Port Orange supercharger and headed straight for St. Augustine. Arrived there with 11 rated miles. Also skipped Deleware and Woodbridge after topping off at Glen Allen (234 miles from Glen Allen to home).

Larry,

I was told by Mark LaPlant on 5/13 that the Tampa Supercharger would be build across the Brandon Mall. If you look at mapquest.com and search for Starbucks in Brandon, you see South of the 11021/29 Causeway Blvd 2 Starbucks locations and I assume the Superchargers are South of Starbucks.

I was also told that final papers had to be submitted for the permit but Mark assumed that July would be a safe date.

Mike

Larry,

I was told by Mark LaPlant on 5/13 that the Tampa Supercharger would be build across the Brandon Mall. If you look at mapquest.com and search for Starbucks in Brandon, you see South of the 11021/29 Causeway Blvd 2 Starbucks locations and I assume the Superchargers are South of Starbucks.

I was also told that final papers had to be submitted for the permit but Mark assumed that July would be a safe date.

Mike

Take your pick.
attachment.php?attachmentid=50522&stc=1&d=1401477577.png

Mike,

If you check out Garrett's map (which was obtained from the Starbuck's store locator) you'll see four possible locations and some are not shown on either Mapquest or Google maps. One of them is across from of the Brandon Mall in Regency Square Mall. If you recall Dan has had a continuing conversation with the property manager of the Regency Square Mall and she has stated that they were near an agreement with Tesla.

Larry

Last edited:
Mike,

If you check out Garrett's map (which was obtained from the Starbuck's store locator) you'll see four possible locations and some are not shown on either Mapquest or Google maps. One of them is across from of the Brandon Mall in Regency Square Mall. If you recall Dan has had a continuing conversation with the property manager of the Regency Square Mall and she has stated that they were near an agreement with Tesla.

Larry

i took a quick ride around there today. The Starbucks at Regency Square has lots of parking nearby. Didn't see any pavement markings or other signs of any development. It's in an area of the plaza that doesn't look as busy as the other areas. Unfortunately, even today at 3:30 pm the traffic to get out of the plaza was backed up. Rather than being able to take a left turn and then moving into the right lane to be able to turn back towards I75, I actually had to turn right, make a u-turn about 100 feet up the road, and then move to the right lane to be able to make the right turn onto Rt 60 to head back towards the interstate.

If this is the spot, it is very close to the Interstate (and not too far from the I-4 intersection), and the available areas for supercharger parking is good. There also is plenty of shopping and dining within walking distance. The biggest negative will be traffic access into and out of the location.

My 'inside intel' also reported that the supercharger site will be in the Regency Square Mall parking lot across from the Brandon Mall- though I was told that the area that intended area would be closer to the AMC movie theater rather than Starbucks. Either way, this is a PERFECT area for me, as I drive down that part of I-75 on a daily basis, and have been struggling with finding places to charge (limited charging ability in my rental domicile).

btw, @Lawsteve- the easiest way to get out of that shopping area when it is busy- is to drive toward Moes and follow the road to the east end of the parking lot- then you just have a short right hand turn toward SR 60 and make another right hand turn onto 60. You will be back to I-75 before anybody going through the main entrance/exit. :)

Angel