Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Charging Speed SLOW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New issue, on the way home I clearly had to stop at a supercharging station again. And i'm only charging at 208 MPH currently, the photo is from about 10 minutes before posting this. I asked a Model S owner 4 stalls away what he was getting and he said 450.. I was there before him and getting the same if that matters.. Now is this normal too?? It took me over 3 hours to stopping to charge to make my first trip that was 2.5 hours (only 175 miles) of driving..

IMG_9725.jpg

The screenshot shows it is 40 outside. Did you have the navigation set to this supercharger so that It would precondition the battery?
What limit have you set charging the battery?
The battery looks to be at 60% or maybe a bit more. The charging rate tapers down once you get above a certain %.
I estimate about 30 miles for each 10%. So 60% would mean roughly 180 miles of range. 100% would be 300 miles. However, I have a LR AWD version. A Performance version would be less.
As a rough estimate it's close enough, since how fast you are driving and the conditions (outside temperature, cabin heating, headwind, uphill, downhill, etc...) all affects your range. The charge rate appears to be ok. Maybe not what we want, but it seems to be about what I get. I have not supercharged very often due to the lack of long road trips due to the pandemic.

Last edited:
It was 40 degrees, which in IL isn't cold, I can't wait to see how it does 10 degrees and under now.... THe battery was preconditioned as well..I started at 70 miles of range left and it was still well under 300 MPH when I started.

And once again, the Tesla right by me was charging at 450 MPH.. I've never come close to this, why???

This thread made me think of an idea for Tesla....when supercharging, if the battery is cold, a message should pop-up explaining why it's charging slowly and also how to precondition the battery. I would bet most owners are not aware of this. It could also explain the stall-sharing thing of which many owners are also not aware.

It was 40 degrees, which in IL isn't cold, I can't wait to see how it does 10 degrees and under now.... THe battery was preconditioned as well..I started at 70 miles of range left and it was still well under 300 MPH when I started.

And once again, the Tesla right by me was charging at 450 MPH.. I've never come close to this, why???
you have been explained too multiple times, but seems like you dont like the answers.

you have been explained too multiple times, but seems like you dont like the answers.
Really?? I've yet to see a answer specifically for my issue. I've gotten plenty of the generic answers but nothing for my specific situation, so please stop responding if you're going to give those halfass answers. I've yet to even get a definitive answer on why my max range is 273 now as well..

Real world highway driving 5-7 MPH over the speed limit at 40 degrees is around 160 mile max range is normal is what i'm gathering here.

- Battery was preconditioned
- 40 degrees
- Altoona IA supercharger
- I got there with 70 miles of range, no other cars charging and it never charged past 280 MPH
- Model S pulled 3-4 stalls over after 10 min and he was getting 450 MPH+
And today when I let off the gas there's a loud whine from the rear end that was never there before. I'm sure that's normal too.

Really?? I've yet to see a answer specifically for my issue. I've gotten plenty of the generic answers but nothing for my specific situation, so please stop responding if you're going to give those halfass answers. I've yet to even get a definitive answer on why my max range is 273 now as well..

Real world highway driving 5-7 MPH over the speed limit at 40 degrees is around 160 mile max range is normal is what i'm gathering here.

- 40 degrees
- I got there with 70 miles of range, no other cars charging and it never charged past 280 MPH
And today when I let off the gas there's a loud whine from the rear end that was never there before. I'm sure that's normal too.

then go to a damn service center if youre so concerned.

- 40 degrees

How do you know the battery was preconditioned and up to temperature? Was regen fully available? Were there dots on the regen bar showing it was limited? If so, then the battery was still too cold.

Also, it is possible that you had a defective supercharger. I have seen where a particular stall is slow and I move to another one and it's much faster.

Lastly, that whine sound happens when you navigate to a supercharger. It puts the motor in a state where it generates heat to warm the battery. It only does this when conditioning the battery for supercharging.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdumont
How do you know the battery was preconditioned and up to temperature? Was regen fully available? Were there dots on the regen bar showing it was limited? If so, then the battery was still too cold.

Also, it is possible that you had a defective supercharger. I have seen where a particular stall is slow and I move to another one and it's much faster.

Lastly, that whine sound happens when you navigate to a supercharger. It puts the motor in a state where it generates heat to warm the battery. It only does this when conditioning the battery for supercharging.

I hope this helps.
The supercharger was 20-25 minutes from where I stayed on thanksgiving. I set navigation to there right before I left, it said it was preconidining it right when I left.. I tried 3 different stations and they were all the same... So I take it that rate of charge I was getting is not normal???

The supercharger was 20-25 minutes from where I stayed on thanksgiving. I set navigation to there right before I left, it said it was preconidining it right when I left.. I tried 3 different stations and they were all the same... So I take it that rate of charge I was getting is not normal???

I would think 20 to 25 minutes of preconditioning at 40-degrees F should be sufficient. Was regen fully available?

img_0349.jpg

25 minutes of pre-conditioning will only get that battery up from 40F to about 60F-62F. You won't get optimal speeds until 100-125F, which in this weather, will take some time.

Reactions: Zoomit
I would think 20 to 25 minutes of preconditioning at 40-degrees F should be sufficient.
Definitely not.

25 minutes of pre-conditioning will only get that battery up from 40F to about 60F-62F. You won't get optimal speeds until 100-125F, which in this weather, will take some time.
Exactly. People think that the battery heats up like a ICE. It's nowhere near that fast. In fact, normal driving in cold weather doesn't do anything to heat it close to the temps needed for really fast Supercharging (100+F) . If there are any dots on the power bar, then the battery is definitely cold, but even if no dots are shown it can be too cold to charge fast.

Ok, so in complete optimal circumstances, what should a V3 charge at with under 100 miles or so?? I've never seen anything over 300..

Here's the chart. The crappy units of 100 miles and 300 mph convert to 30% SOC and 75 kW. Under very ideal conditions, it should charge at 230 kW at 30% SOC. In summer, I'd expect above about 170 kW briefly and tapering quickly. In winter, it depends on a variety of factors already discussed.

20190706-3lr-chrg-png.427140

Ref thread: V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3