Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Charging Speed SLOW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so in complete optimal circumstances, what should a V3 charge at with under 100 miles or so?? I've never seen anything over 300..

Bit lower charge (16%) as far as I remember started slowing down around 30-40%. BTW: this was in Las Vegas with over 100F ambient.

IMG_20200617_170417.jpg

So after driving 20-25 minutes the battery is still too cold and the charging speed will be < 300 MPH?
Yes!!

Driving at highway speeds only requires about 20kW. The batteries and motors are in total about 90% efficient (+/- but close enough). That produces about 2 kW of thermal energy to heat 1000 lbs of battery while fighting the cooling effects of the airflow below the car. That doesn’t heat the battery up much at all. When On Route Battery Warmup is used, that can produce up to 4 kW of heat, but it’s also fighting the cooling effect and is only initiated about 20 min before arrival.

If you really want to heat the battery, do what Bjorn Nyland calls yo-yo driving. Accelerate rapidly up to as fast as you are comfortable and then full regen to a slow speed. Do that about 20 times. It’s hard on the battery and car but it’ll heat up the battery because the heat generated is a squared function of discharge and regen power (Joule’s Law, P=I^2*R)

Last edited:
Yes!!

Driving at highway speeds only requires about 20kW. The batteries and motors are in total about 90% efficient (+/- but close enough). That produces about 2 kW of thermal energy to heat 1000 lbs of battery while fighting the cooling effects of the airflow below the car. That doesn’t heat the battery up much at all. When On Route Battery Warmup is used, that can produce up to 4 kW of heat, but it’s also fighting the cooling effect and is only initiated about 20 min before arrival.

If you really want to heat the battery, do what Bjorn Nyland calls yo-yo driving. Accelerate rapidly up to as fast as you are comfortable and then full regen to a slow speed. Do that about 20 times. It’s hard on the battery and car but it’ll heat up the battery because the heat generated is a squared function of discharge and regen power (Joule’s Law, P=I^2*R)
I never got over 300 MPH even on the way there, after driving for 1.5 hours... What would cause that?? I wouldn't be so upset if I was getting 500 MPH+ on the SC.. Stopping for 5-10 minutes isn't so bad.

I’m averaging 242mi range (309Wh/mi) with cruise set at 78 mph, 49* ambient in a Model Y performance with 19in snow tires. Here’s my charging speed / taper for reference yesterday, started at 41% SoC and ended at 82%. Temp was 48*. Battery pre-conditioned for 28 min during the route to the supercharger.

started at 450 mi/hr (126kW) ended at 200 mi/hr (58 kW).

571B55DC-99C1-448E-8221-907DCB52831F.jpeg
9E70C0A2-7472-404A-82C9-76380208BC2D.jpeg
DA463B9B-699E-47B1-A23E-D814FBAEBF23.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Picasso
Read right above your post man.. I see plenty of reviews of people getting 260+ miles plus going 70. I still do not understand how going 76 in 40 degree weather dropped me 100 miles under that..

My point was, there are many variables that will cause charge rate to vary, most of the them out of your control. If you feel you have a fault in the car, you can get it checked at an SC, but I doubt you will anywhere.

If you want to try for "ideal" charging to see if the car can indeed charge faster, try the following:

1. Research SCs in your area, and check for ones that are 150k or more, and are preferably quiet.
2. Wait until the weather is decent (not freezing cold, which is hard where you are atm I would guess).
3. Park the car in the warmest place you can find (garage etc) and leave it there as long as possible.
4. Drive around preferably at middle speeds (40-50mph), not as fast as you can.
5. Time how long it gets to recover full regen, then drive at least as long as it took the car to get to full regen, preferably longer.
6. Make sure you are at least 25 miles from one of your target SCs and the SoC is 20-30%, then navigate to it so the car will precondition, make sure you drive with precondition for at least 20 mins, preferably longer.
7. At the SC, make sure you do NOT park next to another Tesla (avoid twinned SCs).

Then see how well the car charges after it has ramped up.

Or, just relax and wait until summer to see how fast it charges then :)

Last edited:
It was 40 degrees, which in IL isn't cold, I can't wait to see how it does 10 degrees and under now.... THe battery was preconditioned as well..I started at 70 miles of range left and it was still well under 300 MPH when I started.

And once again, the Tesla right by me was charging at 450 MPH.. I've never come close to this, why???

As others have already mentioned, you did not allow for enough time to precondition the battery..

Here’s a short clip of the max charge rate I had during a supercharging session from today where I arrived with 14% SoC, with outdoor air temps at 39F. This is a new v3 station and I did what was necessary to ensure I arrived with ideal conditions, including battery temperature.

10:01 14% - 132 kW
10:02 15% - 147 kW
10:02 16% - 180 kW
10:02 17% - 187 kW
10:03 18% - 175 kW
10:03 19% - 171 kW
10:03 20% - 167 kW
10:04 22% - 161 kW
10:06 27% - 148 kW
10:13 47% - 109 kW
10:16 53% - 101 kW
69% - 75 kW
77% - 55 kW

New issue, on the way home I clearly had to stop at a supercharging station again. And i'm only charging at 208 MPH currently, the photo is from about 10 minutes before posting this. I asked a Model S owner 4 stalls away what he was getting and he said 450.. I was there before him and getting the same if that matters.. Now is this normal too?? It took me over 3 hours to stopping to charge to make my first trip that was 2.5 hours (only 175 miles) of driving..

View attachment 612341

Are you saying you had to charge 3 hours for 175 miles trip?

New issue, on the way home I clearly had to stop at a supercharging station again. And i'm only charging at 208 MPH currently, the photo is from about 10 minutes before posting this. I asked a Model S owner 4 stalls away what he was getting and he said 450.. I was there before him and getting the same if that matters.. Now is this normal too?? It took me over 3 hours to stopping to charge to make my first trip that was 2.5 hours (only 175 miles) of driving..

View attachment 612341

I’ve experienced this before.

1) First you want to make sure you’re not sharing with someone else so if you’re parked at 1A, make sure there’s no one in 1B. Otherwise, you’ll be sharing so it’ll be lower charge
2) If you didn’t put the supercharger location in your navigation, it won’t precondition the battery before arrival. That slows down your charge levels as well. So next time put it in.
3) For reasons unknown to me, some chargers are slower than others in the same location. I typically switch chargers when it’s that low and most times I end up with one that charges 400+ so I know it was the other charger that’s slow.
4) Some locations are set at a lower charge level because of the high activity there. I believe I saw a notification that told me that. Don’t quote me, my brain is fuzzy this year.
5) Also the charge level reduces once you’re at a certain level. That’s why I like to charge when I’m super low. If you’re pulling in at 10/20% , it charges very high...but as you fill up 50% or higher, it reduces.

If I were you, I’ll switch over to the S guy’s charger if he finished before me and not sharing with another car.