Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah that's a long one, but they're the same elevation and it's about 180 miles. Should be no sweat so long as you get a full charge before departing ABQ or SF. I have a 180 mile stint on one of my regular routes and so long as I'm over 90% at departure I arrive with more than 10%, even driving 75+mph.
As long as you don’t encounter high headwinds or inclement weather it’s certainly doable in most variants of Tesla models.

Yeah that's a long one, but they're the same elevation and it's about 180 miles. Should be no sweat so long as you get a full charge before departing ABQ or SF. I have a 180 mile stint on one of my regular routes and so long as I'm over 90% at departure I arrive with more than 10%, even driving 75+mph.
I agree that the 182 mile Albuquerque to Farmington trip leg should be fairly easy in any large battery car. I have done it in both directions numerous times in my S-60 (178 EPA miles range at 100%) and it is a struggle, requiring driving well below the speed limit and constant monitoring of the estimated %SOC at destination; I usually arrive at about 3% SOC. If I can do it, with difficulty, longer range cars shouldn't have much trouble, assuming reasonable care.

I wish Tesla would do this more often, like putting only a single cabinet in places where there is a lot less road traffic, but are still essential to fill in gaps.
V3 cabinets are probably too much for rural or power grid limited areas, so I'd be happy if Tesla just took the temporary 'two urban chargers on a pallet' idea and used it to fill in some of those routes.

V3 cabinets are probably too much for rural or power grid limited areas, so I'd be happy if Tesla just took the temporary 'two urban chargers on a pallet' idea and used it to fill in some of those routes.

Even transmission lines feeding rural areas have capacity in the 10s of MW. When you're dealing with >10MW 50kW vs 500kW is a rounding error.

Honestly, anything that's higher than lv2 charging is perfect, im not complaining lol. 72kw compared to 7(sr+) is a big difference.

And at 5,000 - 7,000 feet elevation
Just so. Reduced drag at high elevation makes a BIG difference on the Albuquerque to Farmington route.

Hey, DPG, I would not like to do that ABQ to Farmington route at all in a MS-60. Three percent charge? YOW! That is just hair-raising! I would have torn out all my hair. Oh, I don't HAVE any hair. Is your car silver? Have a great day! Mac
I try to keep my estimated %SOC at destination above 5% when driving any route, which is when the warnings start in my car. Tesla's real time updates to estimated %SOC at destination are what make difficult routes possible. If the estimate is flat or rising, I'm ok. If the estimate is falling I need to slow down right away. Took a few road trips to get the hang of it. Now, after more than 60k miles of road trips, it is old hat.

I used to drive a 2012 LEAF with a range of 70 miles. Over the mountains. In winter. By comparison, my S-60, with real time nav %SOC updates, is easy.

Tesla drivers who can Supercharge in twenty to thirty minutes and keep a "buffer" of 20% or more on any trip leg don't realize how easy they have it!

I used to drive a 2012 LEAF with a range of 70 miles. Over the mountains. In winter. By comparison, my S-60, with real time nav %SOC updates, is easy.

Tesla drivers who can Supercharge in twenty to thirty minutes and keep a "buffer" of 20% or more on any trip leg don't realize how easy they have it!
My story is the same.

Driving up a Colorado mountain in the winter in a LEAF takes some haggling and cold feet. The first time I tried it I forgot to pre-charge the car to 100% SoC. About 3/4 of the way up my wife demanded that I turn around, and in a rare fit of common sense I agreed.

Last edited:
Since the Clayton NM Supercharger Station is finally under construction, I thought I'd post some elevation profiles, just for fun.

The route from Amarillo TX Supercharger Station to Trinidad CO Supercharger Station, as it has been until now:

Amarillo TX to Trinidad CO-profile.png

The route to and from the coming Clayton NM Supercharger Station:

Amarillo TX to Clayton NM-profile.png

Clayton NM to Trinidad CO-profile.png

I just purchased an X long range; and will be driving to Colorado in March. Hope the charger is active by then.
We regularly make the Austin - Colorado trip, this will be the first time in an electric.

Disclaimer: I have a Y long range and have never driven that route. However! I'd expect an X to be able to make that with not much concern. The Clayton stop would definitely ease your mind, though.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC