Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clayton, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V3 cabinets are probably too much for rural or power grid limited areas, so I'd be happy if Tesla just took the temporary 'two urban chargers on a pallet' idea and used it to fill in some of those routes.

There is some irony in making this argument in a thread about Clayton, NM, where they are almost certainly building an 8-stall V3 supercharger as we speak (type). I looked up "rural" in the dictionary and found a picture of Clayton, NM. :)

There is some irony in making this argument in a thread about Clayton, NM, where they are almost certainly building an 8-stall V3 supercharger as we speak (type). I looked up "rural" in the dictionary and found a picture of Clayton, NM. :)
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the delay getting this built was due to utilities upgrades that needed to be completed. Due to how busy this route is, it really needed to be 8 v3's, rural or not.

Edit: Looks the the Ranch market is 2 blocks from the Clayton substation. Coincidence?

Last edited:
Just because you can do something dumb because nobody is looking, doesn't mean you should.

It would appear to not be that 'dumb'. It's a cost-benefit analysis the utilities do. If a conductor is 'rated' for 275A and the resistance increases 400% from ~6% loss to 24% loss 5% of the time does it make economic sense to re-conductor that line? With the NEC the ampacity limits are based on safety. Hot wires can cause fires. With overhead conductors it's almost purely economic. An overhead that's 200C because it's pushing 2000A but it's only rated for 300A is unlikely to cause a fire. They're un-insulated so there's no insulation to burn.

I have a friend that recently got 400A service at his home. 400A service is easily good for 76kW.... the utility installed a 25kW (25kVA) transformer. I'm not sure what that 25kW rating is based on but it's sure not the peak throughput of the transformer... Utilities just accept that sometimes their equipment will run hot and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
I guess there really isn't much in the way of trees for sagging conductors to contact in your part of the world, so maybe it's not a big issue.

Yep. That's why there's so much emphasis on vegetation management. Hot wires sag. Cheaper to trim trees than run new wires. I was reading one article that some of those lines can exceed 600C.... that's crazy. I guess it helps keep birds off :)

I have a friend that recently got 400A service at his home. 400A service is easily good for 76kW.... the utility installed a 25kW (25kVA) transformer. I'm not sure what that 25kW rating is based on but it's sure not the peak throughput of the transformer... Utilities just accept that sometimes their equipment will run hot and adjust accordingly.
I asked a utility tech that question some time ago. I doubt he is an expert on the matter but he said time to failure.

So it follows along with your money explanation.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Disclaimer: I have a Y long range and have never driven that route. However! I'd expect an X to be able to make that with not much concern. The Clayton stop would definitely ease your mind, though.
That's what I hoped, but I have a history of driving the route in a snowstorm with high winds. Once with 6" of hail on the ground, had to stop until it melted

That's what I hoped, but I have a history of driving the route in a snowstorm with high winds. Once with 6" of hail on the ground, had to stop until it melted

Remind me to check with you before I hit the road next and make sure you're not going where I'm going ... sheesh!

In related news, we've nicknamed our sailboat "Storm Bringer" because everywhere we've tried to run and hide for hurricane season has brought a hurricane there. Three years in a row.

For those that make the Austin to CO trip regularly I'm curious what your preferred route is (or will be assuming the Clayton Supercharger is online). It still feels like there are gaps along the way that ought to be filled at Brownwood and Lubbock.

Last edited:
Reactions: rafacq
For those that make the Austin to CO trip regularly I'm curious what you're preferred route is (or will be assuming the Clayton Supercharger is online). It still feels like there are gaps along the way that ought to be filled at Brownwood and Lubbock.
Going through Fort Worth is best in a Tesla because you stay on the supercharger highway. Google maps says it's only 8 minutes longer than the much more difficult charging route through Sweetwater and Lubbock anyway.

For those that make the Austin to CO trip regularly I'm curious what you're preferred route is (or will be assuming the Clayton Supercharger is online). It still feels like there are gaps along the way that ought to be filled at Brownwood and Lubbock.

ABRP suggests going through Fort Worth (and then crossing your fingers on the Clayton route).

But I think I'd go Junction -> Sweetwater -> Childress just for something different to look at. It'd cost you another hour of travel, but you get to avoid DFW and ... I don't need to explain that one ;)

Going through Fort Worth is best in a Tesla because you stay on the supercharger highway. Google maps says it's only 8 minutes longer than the much more difficult charging route through Sweetwater and Lubbock anyway.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I've a strict "never drive on 35 if any other viable option exists" policy!

We are hoping to drive the Albuquerque to Farmington route on our 2015 S85D sometime this spring (COVID permitting as we are seniors). We currently get 239-240 miles out of a 90% charge and hope to make theater leg without issues.

We will be enroute to Portland but plan to spend at least 2 nights in/around Farmington and get to drive around Monument Valley (assuming it’s open). Any recommendations for planning our visit?

Last edited: