Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Clovis, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been watching supercharge.info for this location for close to a year. Still no progress.
Does anyone know why NM so slow on several of these sites that are listed as "permitting"? Are they facing local resistance?
I would really like this one to work, to allow Central Texas -> Colorado to be more direct.

Reactions: Cigar Man
I have been watching supercharge.info for this location for close to a year. Still no progress.
Does anyone know why NM so slow on several of these sites that are listed as "permitting"? Are they facing local resistance?
I would really like this one to work, to allow Central Texas -> Colorado to be more direct.
I think it's more of an issue of what counts as "permitted" in supercharge.info. In this case, it was based on a utility locate request for "proposed design." That may or may not mean that Tesla plans to actually build the site, only that they are considering it. You'll see these sites appear to move much more slowly (or not at all) compared sites where the "permitted" means that the site is already designed and they're about to start construction...

Any news on Clovis?
Plugshare is showing a new CCS install for Clovis as of recently. There is a photo of charging hardware and claims it will be working in March. Not exactly an answer for supercharging, but any kind of fast charging in Clovis will be welcome and a long time coming. Not sure what the issues there are, but seems like something must have been holding things up for a long time. Maybe Tesla wont be far behind if this one can actually get up and running.

Plugshare is showing a new CCS install for Clovis as of recently. There is a photo of charging hardware and claims it will be working in March. Not exactly an answer for supercharging, but any kind of fast charging in Clovis will be welcome and a long time coming. Not sure what the issues there are, but seems like something must have been holding things up for a long time. Maybe Tesla wont be far behind if this one can actually get up and running.
I saw that too. Looks like the CCS will be open in March. Fortunately, I upgraded my Y to the CCS chip last Summer. Still, I wish Tesla would get moving on these underserved parts of New Mexico and southern Colorado. Just a handful of superchargers in strategic locations would make a world of difference.

I did it in a MYP (with Gemini wheels installed) last summer with temps in the low 100s. Charged to 100% in Lubbock and the car was telling me to turn around as soon as I left Lubbock. Pressed on and made it to Santa Rosa with a little to spare. I did keep it at the speed limit and had AC set a little high until I was sure I would make it! This Clovis location sure would make it a lot less nerve-wracking.
We made the trip between Santa Rosa and Lubbock the 2nd and 3rd week of October 2023. We made it both ways but I did watch the speed and we had no significant headwinds. On the way back, after reaching around 90% SOC, Tesla navigation recommended we route to Tucumcari, NM instead of the more direct and shorter route to Santa Rosa. I checked the wind speed/direction using TeslaWaze and made the decision to charge to 100% and take the direct route. Since Lubbock only had four charging stalls and they were all in use (no one was waiting), the new over 90% SOC congestion charging policy might have forced us to choose the longer route or pay the penalty? The time it took to charge to 100% in Lubbock was probably no more than it would have been to travel the further distance let alone the additional charging cost to travel that distance. When we made a turn onto the last leg of the trip towards Santa Rosa, we had a tail wind. Sped up significantly on that leg and arrived at around 17% SOC.

Given all of the above, if there were a strong wind out of the northwest our 2023 Model 3 RWD with 266 miles of range probably would not have made it to either Santa Rosa or Tucumcari, NM. We really need a Supercharger in Clovis NM! I purchased a CCS adapter but have only tested it to see if it worked. Hopefully, the new CCS1 fast charger location in Clovis would not be too painful to use!

Last edited:
We made the trip between Santa Rosa and Lubbock the 2nd and 3rd week of October 2023. We made it both ways but I did watch the speed and we had no significant headwinds. On the way back, after reaching around 90% SOC, Tesla navigation recommended we route to Tucumcari, NM instead of the more direct and shorter route to Santa Rosa. I checked the wind speed/direction using TeslaWaze and made the decision to charge to 100% and take the direct route. Since Lubbock only had four charging stalls and they were all in use (no one was waiting), the new over 90% SOC congestion charging policy might have forced us to choose the longer route or pay the penalty? The time it took to charge to 100% in Lubbock was probably no more than it would have been to travel the further distance let alone the additional charging cost to travel that distance. When we made a turn onto the last leg of the trip towards. Santa Rosa, we had a tail wind. Sped up significantly on that leg and arrived at around 17% SOC.

Given all of the above, if there were a strong wind out of the northwest our 2023 Model 3 RWD with 266 miles of range probably would not have made it to either Santa Rosa or Tucumcari, NM. We really need a Supercharger in Clovis NM! I purchased a CCS adapter but have only tested it to see if it worked. Hopefully, the new CCS1 fast charger location in Clovis would not be too painful to use!
Even Muleshoe or Littlefield would work.

Do we think this is getting built??

The Tucumcari Blake's Supercharger permit turned out to not be the final location since Tesla got NEVI funding to upgrade their existing V2 at the Holiday Inn to V4 by 2025.

NEVI funding in Moriarty went to Pilot/Flying J.

I guess Tesla didn't end up partnering with Blake's Lotaburger after all? That's such a shame, there are many Blake's across the state in good locations for DCFCs.

The Tucumcari Blake's Supercharger permit turned out to not be the final location since Tesla got NEVI funding to upgrade their existing V2 at the Holiday Inn to V4 by 2025.

I guess Tesla didn't end up partnering with Blake's Lotaburger after all? That's such a shame, there are many Blake's across the state in good locations for DCFCs.
I share your skepticism but I really wish it would. The drive from Santa Rosa to lubbock is very tight at the moment, especially if winds are unfavorable and they often are in the Lubbock-> Santa Rosa direction in addition to some elevation gain. I check plugshare daily on the Clovis and Fort Sumner sites. Not sure why that’s such a dead zone and other parts of SE NM are getting filled out.

Reactions: ArtiePenguin1

Tesla may have held back on installations, waiting to see the outcome of NEVI bids.
If it's a NEVI site, they'd install V4, otherwise they'd install V3.

Reactions: ArtiePenguin1
Oh I guess I can, now that I created a Tesla account for Supercharger access.
Tesla may have held back on installations, waiting to see the outcome of NEVI bids.
If it's a NEVI site, they'd install V4, otherwise they'd install V3.
Isn't V3 going to be phased out anyways? So it would just be V4 going forward. But yes, there was about a year delay while Tesla was seeking NEVI funds.

That still doesn't address Clovis since that's not going to be NEVI eligible for at least another 2 years. It appears Tesla's partnership with site host Blake's Lotaburgers fell through or just never happened.

If Tesla doesn't want to build in Southeast New Mexico, then I hope Xcel Energy steps up. Because we all know the stations Francis Energy installed were junk, especially Hobbs.

Oh I guess I can, now that I created a Tesla account for Supercharger access.

Isn't V3 going to be phased out anyways? So it would just be V4 going forward. But yes, there was about a year delay while Tesla was seeking NEVI funds.

That still doesn't address Clovis since that's not going to be NEVI eligible for at least another 2 years. It appears Tesla's partnership with site host Blake's Lotaburgers fell through or just never happened.

If Tesla doesn't want to build in Southeast New Mexico, then I hope Xcel Energy steps up. Because we all know the stations Francis Energy installed were junk, especially Hobbs.
I got stuck in Hobbs a few weeks ago because the CCS wouldn’t initiate. 2h40m later after charging at a NEMA plug in town I got from 9% to 35% and hobbled to Midlands TX at 50mph. I’ll go Santa Rosa - Lubbock next time and just drive slower for range. All that energy in SE NM and west Texas and so few charging options. 😢

I got stuck in Hobbs a few weeks ago because the CCS wouldn’t initiate. 2h40m later after charging at a NEMA plug in town I got from 9% to 35% and hobbled to Midlands TX at 50mph. I’ll go Santa Rosa - Lubbock next time and just drive slower for range. All that energy in SE NM and west Texas and so few charging options. 😢
I used to live there. I hate to judge but it’s pathetic that it’s taken this long to get any DCFC in SE NM and it’s not even reliable. I don’t understand why, just a few good 150kw chargers scattered around would make a huge difference for traveling. I avoid the area now like the black hole that it is.

I told my superintendent we should put a DCFC outside our office powered by a natural gas fired generator. Ya know the optics work both ways? 😂.

I used to live there. I hate to judge but it’s pathetic that it’s taken this long to get any DCFC in SE NM and it’s not even reliable. I don’t understand why, just a few good 150kw chargers scattered around would make a huge difference for traveling. I avoid the area now like the black hole that it is.

I told my superintendent we should put a DCFC outside our office powered by a natural gas fired generator. Ya know the optics work both ways? 😂.
At great risk of taking what was intended as a joke seriously: my understanding is running a gas generator to charge an EV is more efficient (carbon per mile wise) than burning that same amount of gas to drive a combustion engine vehicle. I believe that comparison holds for natural gas and gasoline engines alike.
In some ways, your theoretical charger (with appropriate signage!) might open a few minds as to the massive inefficiency of combustion.