Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbia, SC - Harbison Blvd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope it can be completed before my trip in the first week of October. I've noted some installs go very fast but get delayed due lack of transformer availability. Being near the substation might help.
I think this will be done by end of August at the latest IMO. Most of these installs in the area seem to be around 2 weeks for a transformer to show up after the site is prepped and ready to go, like the new Thomasville, NC SuC for example.

Orangeburg is slammed these days. They probably need another in Charleston too...but I'm happy now with this one going in. Likely will see one in Spartanburg in the next year or so also as it is another splitter for I-26 and I-85 at the same time.
It should be significant relief for Orangeburg, SC. It's a 180 mile gap to Asheville, NC.

But if they also relieved Columbia, SC with somewhere on I-77 like Blythewood, SC or even further north in Richburg, SC, that should take additional load off, whichever part of Ohio the Charleston tourists come from.

Spartanburg, SC would obviously also help. Density spreads the load.

I-26/I-385 is for sure a great spot for a SuC, but the options are very limited. I drive that corridor quite frequently; there isn't much in the way of a spot for a SuC. Would have to be a local business as there are no national partners anywhere.
Just down the freeway at SC-72 exit (only 2.5 miles from the split) has a lot of gas stations and a Hampton Inn. You would think that Hampton Inn would be happy to put it in the back of their parking lot.

Just down the freeway at SC-72 exit (only 2.5 miles from the split) has a lot of gas stations and a Hampton Inn. You would think that Hampton Inn would be happy to put it in the back of their parking lot.
Maybe but Tesla really hasn't had any new hotel installs in a long time that I've seen. The gas stations (if not a local business owner) are national chains that don't do business with Tesla currently, like QT or the new 7 Eleven near Newberry. A lot of the local gas stations are also tiny and not really likely to know or care anything about Tesla. I've taken time to peruse these exits many times hunting for new SuC and have always arrived at the same conclusion: convince a local business owner to let you put it in or it's not happening on that stretch of I-26; it's pretty barren. There is hope though as the new Piedmont, SC SuC is a local gas station owner!

I think this site has more than 12 stalls. I count 10 in the photo below (which I think @SouthernEV took) and then at least another 3 on the other side in the next photo below. There could be a few hiding elsewhere also if you look at the parking lot layout.

069F8B69-4C0D-4362-B608-12D291921ACD.jpeg

ACEF207E-A7D3-40DF-8E0E-DA6A4BAE0D9B.jpeg

Last edited: