Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Columbus, OH - East Campus View Blvd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swung by yesterday and still not powered, but I LOVE this layout. I hope we start seeing more stations like this!

Attachments

• IMG_3742.JPG
    IMG_3742.JPG
    771.1 KB · Views: 154
Don't understand why there is a charger at that location when we already have Dublin and Polaris. There is nothing on the Eastside. A location off I70 in Reynoldsburg would suffice or even something at Easton.
The East Campus View Blvd one? I was thinking the same thing at first, but here’s something I found out.

Originally I was surprised with how close these look, but I needed to stop at Polaris on my way back from Kettering / Dayton and I would've benefited from the new one. The 2.6 mile drive from 270 is more like 10-15 minutes depending on traffic (not sure if it's worse during rush hour). There are a lot of intersections and stoplights.
It's not a huge deal, but quickly getting off of 270 and back on will save some time in my experience. (Overall I like the options in Columbus, being in Carroll County, the closest ones are well over 50 - 60 miles away (over an hour drive) haha 😄)
Post in thread 'Supercharger - Columbus, OH - East Campus View Blvd'
Supercharger - Columbus, OH - East Campus View Blvd

I feel your pain, if you look at the map for STL, it’s like Columbus. Nothing on the east side (and there’s an Air Force base with many visitors that could benefit in the area). Definitely could use more, happy to have a V3 close to the highway though.

Reactions: jrreno
Don't understand why there is a charger at that location when we already have Dublin and Polaris. There is nothing on the Eastside. A location off I70 in Reynoldsburg would suffice or even something at Easton.
Polaris is probably one of the busiest superchargers in Columbus up to the point they built Campus View. Most of the time it sat 80% used. Dublin is also quite busy. Campus View helps as it's near the intersection of 4 major routes (23, 71, 270, 315) and fairly easy to get on/off highway from there.

East side does need something. They are building one in New Albany at Sheetz.

Charging infrastructure is fun, takes a lot of coordination to build, Utility has to say there's enough capacity, they have to negotiate site leases, design, install. It can take over a year just to get to ground breaking. We were shocked when we heard they finally were building something between Columbus and Lima/Findlay because it was a charging wasteland. Upper Sandusky just opened.

I see a lot of expansion in the next year and a half now that Tesla has agreements with most of the auto manufacturers to use the NACS connection and the supercharger network.

Because the Polaris one sucks and is usually 62kwh max speed. Basically that renders it unusable. Might as well call it a destination charger

Reactions: Tezla041
Because the Polaris one sucks and is usually 62kwh max speed. Basically that renders it unusable. Might as well call it a destination charger
Polaris is a V2, meaning the paired pedestals (i.e. 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b) share power. V3s do not share power, other than the maximum allowed by the transformer.

This new location is a V3 and will remove a lot of pressure. It should improve the overall experience at Polaris as well.

Because the Polaris one sucks and is usually 62kwh max speed. Basically that renders it unusable. Might as well call it a destination

Another Westside charger coming, this is pretty much in London, weird location with Both CCS and Tesla at Hilliard Rome. Why so much neglect for the East side?

Ohio First in the U.S. to Begin EV Fast Charger Construction Under NEVI Plan

(COLUMBUS, Ohio)— Ohio Governor Mike DeWine and Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) Director Jack Marchbanks announced today that Ohio is now the first state in the nation to break ground on an electric vehicle (EV) charging station built as part of the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program.
This milestone is the latest in a series of major EV advancements made by the state in recent years. Ohio was the first state in the nation to release a request for charging station proposals last year, which was a strategic move to put Ohio ahead of other states for sought-after equipment and specialized technicians to install the stations. Showing a continued urgency to give Ohioans an advantage in the shift to electric, Ohio was also the first state in the country to announce the future sites of its first round of EV charging stations.
“Ohio continues to lead in this rising sector," said Governor DeWine. "From securing investments by manufacturers to building key infrastructure, we are truly positioning Ohioans for the electric future. This groundbreaking further demonstrates the state’s commitment to installing chargers as quickly as possible for the benefit of Ohio drivers."
“As more Ohioans adopt electric vehicles and the mix of automobiles on the road changes, we must ensure that our infrastructure is ready,” said Marchbanks. “Providing more fast chargers that are convenient and reliable ultimately improves customer service for Ohio drivers and bolsters equitable access to the latest transportation technology.”
The nation's first NEVI charging station is being built at the Pilot Travel Center along Interstate 70 at U.S. Route 42, west of Columbus. Once complete, the station will be equipped with fast chargers installed by EVgo, capable of providing up to 350 kW when charging a single vehicle. When four vehicles are charging simultaneously, each port will receive up to 175 kW, which is enough power to charge an EV up to 80% in 20-40 minutes, depending on the vehicle’s battery.

While charging, customers will have 24/7 access to restrooms, Wi-Fi, food, beverages, and other convenience items for purchase. Additionally, an overhead canopy will shield drivers from inclement weather like rain or snow, just like gas pumps.
“When we talked with electric vehicle drivers throughout our public engagement process, we heard that user experience is key,” said DriveOhio Executive Director Preeti Choudhary. “It’s not enough to just add chargers at the required increments – recognizing that drivers will spend a bit of time at these locations, we need to ensure users feel safe and comfortable while charging their vehicles.”
In addition to this first site along I-70, construction is expected to begin soon on more than two dozen fast charging stations funded by NEVI across the state. All chargers installed as part of the first round are anticipated to be operational by the end of 2024.
Ohio’s second round of charging infrastructure will include 25 additional locations along interstates, U.S. routes, and state routes. In the coming months, ODOT will solicit proposals from companies to build the next round of stations. In total, Ohio will receive $140 million in NEVI funds over the next five years to support the installation of EV charging stations across the state.
Separate from the NEVI program, Ohio is taking steps to incorporate EVs into the state-owned vehicle fleet. The Ohio Department of Administrative Services will install six EV charging stations at three state-owned office buildings to support expanded fleet options. Sites include the James A. Rhodes State Office Tower, 4200 Surface Road, and the North High Complex.