Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cost, per minute vs per kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished my first long trip with my Model 3. It was great and supercharging was very fast. My stops were usually about 20 minutes with a couple 30 minutes and some just 10 minutes. I found that whenever I stopped, I barely had time to take a restroom break or a quick snack or lunch. Overall pricing for my charging was very good.

One thing I did notice is the cost difference between when I was being charged per minute or per kilowatt. In Georgia the cost was $0.12 or $0.24 per minute depending on how fast your car charges, but in Florida the cost was $0.24 per kilowatt. If you do the math that turns out to be twice as expensive in Florida that is charged per kilowatt. I did a quick search on residential electricity prices in Georgia and Florida and found that they are about the same. I am at a bit of a loss of why I was charged twice as much for my charging in the State of Florida as in the state of Georgia.

Reactions: jsmay311
I’ve also noticed that the per minute (KS, NE, SD, IA, WI, TN, OK) pricing I have encountered is typically better than the per kWh (IL, CO) prices that I have encountered by about 2:1 on cost for the miles added to the battery.

That’s the case if you do quick charges and keep the kW rate high. If you’re the type of person that tries charging to 100%, the kWh rates may come out better as the kW drops really low as the battery approaches full, but you continue to pay the same per minute rate that you would if you were getting 60 kW.

Either way, it’s still relatively low per mile costs, so charge at whatever style you fine most convenient and enjoy the road trips!

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Quick correction the cost is Florida was 24¢ per kWh. kW is a measure of power like Horse Power and kWh is a measure of quantity like gallons. in Georgia you can't resale electricity and I think this is the same in many other states and why it is based on time and not kWh.

Quick correction the cost is Florida was 24¢ per kWh. kW is a measure of power like Horse Power and kWh is a measure of quantity like gallons. in Georgia you can't resale electricity and I think this is the same in many other states and why it is based on time and not kWh.

Yes, I will update my post to kwh to be more precise. I understand that some states allow them to sell per kwh and some do not, but my question is why one is twice as expensive as the other. Even if HOW they charge is different, I would think that the total final cost for what you are buying would be similar, not double.

... Even if HOW they charge is different, I would think that the total final cost for what you are buying would be similar, not double.
Because almost ANY amount can come through in xx:xx time and kWh is an absolute amount it is very difficult to compare them. Had your charging speed been slower in GA you would have paid more or the same amount of charge. While you have a fair question it is still an apples and oranges comparison.

Also other things could be involved like what the state regulations are (how strong are big oil or convenience store lobbies) and not just the residential cost of electricity. Could be (just guessing) in Florida that EV stations may be REQUIRED to charge a higher price.

I just went to my first supercharger located in Issaquah, WA, to charge my M3 SR+. The amount charged was 11 kWh @ $0.25/kWh. In WA, we have some of the lowest electricity rates in the nation at about $0.08/kwh. I assumed the extra charge (no pun intended) was to pay for the infrastructure costs and maintenance of the supercharger station.

Electric costs can vary widely, especially peak demand charges which can be pegged to the highest 15 minute period in a year. So think of the one afternoon before Thanksgiving. I feel for Tesla here as even here in NE TN I see rates vary between $.055 to over $.15/kWh depending on business and particular rate structure. Even though my particular residential rate is $.095/kWh. My former employer and our Church have widely differing rates and structures. And I believe other areas are worse.

Last edited:
The per minute rate is for states that do not allow energy sales by non energy companies (monopolies).

It was an estimate to roughy match in price at the charging rates that were typical at the time.

As the charging rates are going up due to newer tech in the cars and charging the conversions they used are becoming outdated.

It will be a challenge to handle this equitably with many different car models on the road.