Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers now charge per kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, I just got an email from BC Hydro stating their proposed new CCS1 fee structure:
On July 28, we filed an application with the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC) to increase our current rates for public electric vehicle charging service.

The new proposed rates are slightly higher than the current interim rates to help recover the costs of building and operating charging stations, and to better align with market rates.

If approved, the cost* to charge at our public charging stations effective September 1, 2023 will be:

• 3 cents per minute for Level 2 charging (currently free)
  • 13 cents per minute for 25 kW charging (currently 12.19 cents)
  • 25 cents per minute for 50 kW charging (currently 21.33 cents)
  • 33 cents per minute for 100 kW charging (currently 27.43 cents)

• Informative
Reactions: johnny_cakes
$0.48 / kwh seems expensive until you consider the benefit of charge speed and the peak demand utility charges that I assume Tesla has to pay. Residential rates increased from $0.22 to $0.34 / kwh at my home in Alberta over the last 4 months

$0.48 / kwh seems expensive until you consider the benefit of charge speed and the peak demand utility charges that I assume Tesla has to pay. Residential rates increased from $0.22 to $0.34 / kwh at my home in Alberta over the last 4 months
Wow, $0.34/kWh is high for a residential rate. BC is $9.59/kWh for the first bracket and $14.22 for the second bracket. Residential Rates

Wow, $0.34/kWh is high for a residential rate. BC is $9.59/kWh for the first bracket and $14.22 for the second bracket. Residential Rates

Alberta is majority natural gas generation and I believe they have retrospectivity in their rates, meaning that they are now paying for the previous natural gas price peaks.

In Maine our supply component is set in January and we've had two jumps because of the high natural gas prices. That should come down again to something more sane in January.

No offence but that sounds like an awful situation in Alberta. At those prices per kWh Alberta must have the highest electricity rates in Canada. I'm in Ontario and it costs me ~$0.939/kWh between 7 pm - 7 am to charge at home.

With that said Tesla is paying commercial rates not residential. I would imagine the rate they pay since they pay for so much power would be less than what a residential connection would cost.

I'm also not a fan of making excuses for Tesla when it comes to what they charge for their supercharger. $0.48/kWh is extremely expensive. It's around double to triple the price of competitors. This past weekend I charged at Electrify Canada and the end cost ended up being $0.17/kWh. Peak speeds were 115 kW since I didn't precondition the battery and my initial state of charge was 42% (in other words it was an excellent experience). I'm fine with Tesla making a profit on their charging speeds but they need to be at least competitive with Electrify Canda, IVY, Petro Canada EV charging, Shell recharge, etc. I have a CCS adapter so if there's a well reviewed competing charger/network close to a supercharger and they charge 1/3 of the price, why would I use Tesla's Supercharger?

No offence but that sounds like an awful situation in Alberta. At those prices per kWh Alberta must have the highest electricity rates in Canada. I'm in Ontario and it costs me ~$0.939/kWh between 7 pm - 7 am to charge at home.
Up until ~18 months ago, you could sign a multi year $0.059/kWh fixed rate agreement with Enmax in Calgary. There are all sorts of bullsh|t variable fees that make it closer to $0.15 and no doubt those are going to go up, even for those of us who got lucky and did sign. That being said, natural gas is back down to near dirt cheap territory, so things should get better, even for those on variable rate.

With that said Tesla is paying commercial rates not residential. I would imagine the rate they pay since they pay for so much power would be less than what a residential connection would cost.

I'm also not a fan of making excuses for Tesla when it comes to what they charge for their supercharger. $0.48/kWh is extremely expensive. It's around double to triple the price of competitors. This past weekend I charged at Electrify Canada and the end cost ended up being $0.17/kWh. Peak speeds were 115 kW since I didn't precondition the battery and my initial state of charge was 42% (in other words it was an excellent experience). I'm fine with Tesla making a profit on their charging speeds but they need to be at least competitive with Electrify Canda, IVY, Petro Canada EV charging, Shell recharge, etc. I have a CCS adapter so if there's a well reviewed competing charger/network close to a supercharger and they charge 1/3 of the price, why would I use Tesla's Supercharger?
I think Electrify Canada EV charging rates are a scam essentially - I tried them once but will not use them again - connected at 91 kW for literally less than 3 sec and then charging dropped to 40-60 kW - and they charged for the 1-350 kW rate ($0.57 per min) as it started at over 90 kW. Avoid such unscrupulous pricing EV charging companies.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I think Electrify Canada EV charging rates are a scam essentially - I tried them once but will not use them again - connected at 91 kW for literally less than 3 sec and then charging dropped to 40-60 kW - and they charged for the 1-350 kW rate ($0.57 per min) as it started at over 90 kW. Avoid such unscrupulous pricing EV charging companies.
Often per-minute pricing has happened because of utility law that bans electricity resale. Sometimes it's partial as an incentive to get people to charge in the sweet spot and then leave.

I think they just don't take charging problems into account in their software. Good companies will show when it's limited by the car or limited by the charger. In that instance I'd suggest complaining to the company that you were overcharged due to a charger problem. They should be able to tell from the log.

Fortunately, governments are now allowing and some requiring a shift to pricing per kWh, which is much better for the consumer. I suspect the future will have per kWh pricing with caps on percentage at busy locations so that they can maximize utilization.

Often per-minute pricing has happened because of utility law that bans electricity resale. Sometimes it's partial as an incentive to get people to charge in the sweet spot and then leave.

I think they just don't take charging problems into account in their software. Good companies will show when it's limited by the car or limited by the charger. In that instance I'd suggest complaining to the company that you were overcharged due to a charger problem. They should be able to tell from the log.

Fortunately, governments are now allowing and some requiring a shift to pricing per kWh, which is much better for the consumer. I suspect the future will have per kWh pricing with caps on percentage at busy locations so that they can maximize utilization.
I agree; however per minute pricing needs to be tiered (as Tesla does or did until recently) and not the way Electrify Canada does it where you get charged for the 1-350 kW tier (CAD $ 0.57/min) for the whole charging session if the car started charging at >90kW if only for a few seconds and the charging kW drops off thereafter. The price does not drop to the 1-90 kW tier rate (CAD $ 0.27/min). i.e. The power level set at the start of your session determines the per-minute price, which stays the same throughout the session - this is what is unfair. I don't know if it is the same in the US with Electrify America.

AIUI the EC/EA rate is based upon the car's possible peak rate, and not upon any rate achieved or not during the charging session; I could be wrong though. I've used EC/EA quite often and the fee per Kwh was the same regardless of the initial rate. when we spend the winter in SE Arizona I've paid the monthly $4 fee for their best rates and used them, as convenient. I really hate the fact that free EA charging is included for many new EVs and in some locations (Bellingham WA being a prime example and it has no Tesla SCs) you have local drivers queuing up for free charging even when they have access to home charging!
EA is changing their rate structure:

Beginning August 17, 2023, we’ll shift from uniform energy or time based pricing nationwide to a station-specific pricing model and resume charging for idle fees at most nationwide charging stations. Electrify America's mobile app will have pricing information for a given charger, but you should check the pricing of a charging station at the charger when you start charging.

The Electrify America Terms of Use are changing to reflect these changes. To view Electrify America's new Terms of Use, including a number of important changes, click here. These new terms will be applied when using our mobile app or chargers after August 17, 2023.

I think you missed a 0 - as in $0.0939 rather than $0.939. And if you switch to the Ultra Low price in Ontario you can charge for $0.024/kWh, but your peak prices go up. Note that these prices also do not include various other surcharges for distribution, transmission, etc, that are generally not dependent on time of usage.

I agree; however per minute pricing needs to be tiered (as Tesla does or did until recently) and not the way Electrify Canada does it where you get charged for the 1-350 kW tier (CAD $ 0.57/min) for the whole charging session if the car started charging at >90kW if only for a few seconds and the charging kW drops off thereafter. The price does not drop to the 1-90 kW tier rate (CAD $ 0.27/min). i.e. The power level set at the start of your session determines the per-minute price, which stays the same throughout the session - this is what is unfair. I don't know if it is the same in the US with Electrify America.

Same way

Electrify America said:
When you plug in to charge, your vehicle tells the charger the maximum power it can accept. Based on that communication, your vehicle will be assigned to the corresponding power level offered by the charger.

Your charging speed may fluctuate due to factors like weather, age of your battery, and how full your battery is (your state of charge). The per-minute price stays the same for the entire session, regardless of how the charging speed may vary.

There are demand charges which have to be paid for, so in _some_ ways charging by peak is OK, but I certainly agree that the higher per-minute pricing shouldn't be applied if the charger screws up. They know from logs if it was a charger problem.

What was your cost per kWh? My charge went over 90kW and I was for sure not charged over $0.27/min. According to Teslamate, I charged 19 minutes and according to the Electrify Canada app it cost $5.01.

And max power was 115 kWh (battery wasn't pre conditioned):

That just be a typo
For sure a typo. I meant $0.0939/kWh.
I think you missed a 0 - as in $0.0939 rather than $0.939. And if you switch to the Ultra Low price in Ontario you can charge for $0.024/kWh, but your peak prices go up. Note that these prices also do not include various other surcharges for distribution, transmission, etc, that are generally not dependent on time of usage.
I sure did, it's $0.0939 and that includes delivery and other per kWh charges. It doesn't include the flat monthly charges since I'd be paying those with or without owning a Tesla.

Oof. So glad I locked in 12 months ago when it was low.
Alberta needs to build a few nuclear generators and make utilities public again. The privatized the deregulated profiteer system it has at the moment is bull crap.

Thanks UCP! Shockingly they suppressed the rate increased until after the election. They've also paused renewal energy projects to ensure they're environmentally safe. Drill baby drill!

Reactions: DuncanM