Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers now charge per kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today that the Tesla app shows charging fees as per kWh now. Most of the ones in the GTA are 0.47-0.48 cents per kWh. I was planning a trip the other day, looking at the cost of supercharging along the way and I'm sure it was still per min. Can anyone confirm the change?

• Informative
Reactions: Tz00
Someone on a Facebook group I follow made a graph that shows the price per kWh of Tesla and Circuit Electrique (in Quebec) based on the power you're pulling. Credit to that person, not me, but I don't know if I should name there here not knowing if they are on this forum. This was when there were 4 pricing steps per minute:
362253151_10162584645597835_7462554714078777279_n.jpg

In the higher power range, 48c is lower than the average you'd pay in your charging session before. It's when charging at lower than 60kW that we now pay more. Maybe that will incite people to stop charging when they reach 70-80% SOC :p
EDIT: Yes, Circuit Electrique went bonkers and added a boatload of per-minute prices depending on the power range. They're trying to approximate a line I guess, which they could do with per kWh pricing ...

• Informative
Reactions: Canada_dude
So on Monday I used a V3 SC in Kelowna and added 62% to the car (17-80). That cost me $20.29 under the old pricing structure.
Today I used the V3 SC in Nanaimo ($0.47/kWh) and added 63% to the car (7-70). That cost me a whopping $24.87.

So this is not an improvement but rather an almost 25% increase in cost to charge.

Reactions: cdswm3
$0.48 per kWh in Ontario is a rip off. Last time I charged at a Petro Canada EV charger the cost came out to $0.24/kWh. In BC the Supercharger cost is $0.29 kWh which is much more inline with competing L3 DC chargers.
It is $0.47/kWh at Nanaimo SC where I just charged. Maybe some as screenshot shows above are 0.29 but not here.

Checking more sites it seems only Vancouver is "cheap". As soon as you get to Chilliwak and beyond it is $0.45-0.48 at all ones I checked. Victoria is 29c but those are urban 72kW chargers only.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: johnny_cakes
If anyone is curious, this is what a typical Power bill for a Tesla supercharger is structured.

A
Previous Balance: Balance carried forward from previous bill.
Payment: Payment applied to your account since your previous bill.

B
Electricity Charge: This is the cost of the electricity supplied to you during a billing period. The electricity consumed is multiplied by the adjustment factor. Hydro Ottawa collects this money and pays this amount directly to our suppliers.
Global Adjustment: Most electricity generating companies receive a guaranteed price for the electricity that they produce. The GA accounts for differences between the spot market price and the rates paid to regulated and contracted generators as well as conservation and demand management programs.

C
The delivery charge covers the costs of delivering electricity from generating stations across the province to your home or business through high voltage (transmission) and low voltage (distribution) power lines. It includes the costs to build and maintain transmission and distribution lines, towers and poles and to operate provincial and local electricity systems.
A portion of these charges are fixed and do not change from month to month. The rest are variable and increase or decrease depending on the amount of electricity that you use.
Regulatory Charges are the costs of administering the wholesale electricity system and maintaining the reliability of the provincial grid.
HST: Charges on the bill are subject to Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).

D
Billing Multiplier, kW Demand, kVa Demand: As a business customer, the price for the electricity commodity is based on two components.
One part is the energy charge, which is calculated by multiplying your electricity rate (either a fixed or spot market price) by your consumption, measured in kilowatts (kW).
The second part is based on your highest power demand reached in a specified period, usually a month, regardless of the quantity of energy used. This billing demand is calculated using the measure kilowatts (kW) or 90% of the kilovolt-amps (kVa), whichever is greater.

E
Meter Reading (Current): To calculate total consumption, Hydro Ottawa subtracts the previous meter reading from the current reading.
Meter Reading (Previous): This is the previous meter reading to calculate the electricity used (the end reading of the previous service period)
kWh Consumption: This is the amount of electricity you used in kilowatt-hours (kWh).

F
Account History: Your most recent account consumption history showing each meter-reading date, total kWh used, number of days accounted for and the average daily kWh usage.

G
Bill Date: The date when your bill was generated.

H
Due Date: To avoid interest charges, Hydro Ottawa must receive your payment on or before the due date on your bill. It is important to allow sufficient time for your payment to be received and processed, by taking into account the time required for payment to be transferred from your financial institution or to be delivered by mail.

I
Amount Due: This box will tell you what amount needs to be paid.

J
For your information: It is very important to read the messaging that appears in this box. For example, it may include information about rate changes or the result of a recent security deposit review.

Last edited:
I just did a trip through Minnesota and most super chargers were 0.35 - 0.40 per kw. Assuming that's USD that's about 0.45-0.52/kw Canadian.

That being said I did a trip across Northern Ontario last weekend and upsala, Ignace, dryden were all still charging $0.32-$1.07/minute.
Wow, If you peak at 250kW that could be 100 USD per charge. :p

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and wayner