Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Durango, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest issue with the Trinidad location is the folks who pull up next to me at the V2 chargers and nerf my sweet, sweet 85 kW charging when there are plenty of available V3 chargers. It's amazing how many people still don't know the difference (it doesn't matter for me in my 2015 MS - I can't pull a peak charge rate above 128 kW regardless of battery level, temperature, charger version or current Tesla Supercharger Team employment levels).
I have a more current S, 2019, I don't know older like yours but I'd reach out to Tesla and have them do a over the air check or - going to your preferred Service Center is a better first decision. It's hard for anyone to say NO to your face.

My biggest issue with the Trinidad location is the folks who pull up next to me at the V2 chargers and nerf my sweet, sweet 85 kW charging when there are plenty of available V3 chargers. It's amazing how many people still don't know the difference (it doesn't matter for me in my 2015 MS - I can't pull a peak charge rate above 128 kW regardless of battery level, temperature, charger version or current Tesla Supercharger Team employment levels).
Youl could easily solve this problem by plugging into a v3 stall yourself.

This site is kind of unusual in that it is now 9 stalls. I guess they didn't have room for 4 more stalls when they added the v3 cabinet, so they only added 3.

Yup, I could take the V3, but in general and if I have a choice, I'll burn up one of the V2 slots as I can't take advantage of the V3 speeds anyway. Also remember that if I'm pulling 85 kW, I'm only going to get throttled down to 70-ish kW when someone pulls in after me, so this is more of a humorous rant than a real issue (for me). The huge difference is to the other user as they're pulling far less than the 250 kW they would conceivably pull at the V3. If they're up for a conversation I'll usually let them know.

Also, I spent an embarrassing amount of time looking for the "missing" 10th stall in Trinidad. I thought there had to be a pull through space somewhere...

Yup, I could take the V3, but in general and if I have a choice, I'll burn up one of the V2 slots as I can't take advantage of the V3 speeds anyway. Also remember that if I'm pulling 85 kW, I'm only going to get throttled down to 70-ish kW when someone pulls in after me, so this is more of a humorous rant than a real issue (for me). The huge difference is to the other user as they're pulling far less than the 250 kW they would conceivably pull at the V3. If they're up for a conversation I'll usually let them know.

Also, I spent an embarrassing amount of time looking for the "missing" 10th stall in Trinidad. I thought there had to be a pull through space somewhere...
So refreshing to see when someone considers others.

You sure this location is still a go? I was shocked to find out that a V3 Supercharger is finally opening soon in Kayenta, AZ. I looked at Tesla's map, and sure enough, 'Targeted opening in 2024'. Passerby reports stalls in the ground. Meanwhile, nothing showing for Durango on that map.

You sure this location is still a go? I was shocked to find out that a V3 Supercharger is finally opening soon in Kayenta, AZ. I looked at Tesla's map, and sure enough, 'Targeted opening in 2024'. Passerby reports stalls in the ground. Meanwhile, nothing showing for Durango on that map.
I'm curious as well. I'd like to do a trip to Durango but want to wait until this 'planned' SC opens...

I'm curious as well. I'd like to do a trip to Durango but want to wait until this 'planned' SC opens...
I may have uncovered a clue earlier when I looked at Colorado's NEVI funding plans for 'by 2025'. A bunch of grants were listed for various locations and the owners as well. Tesla got several sites, including Cortez (yay!), Durango (hmm), Pagosa Springs and Poncha Springs. Plus some in the eastern plains. NEVI funding in general isn't setting any speed records for getting things in the ground, but hopefully the pace will pick up. Perhaps the Durango site would have been done by now if it weren't NEVI-funded.

These were all listed for the 2025 plan, which I interpreted to mean 'get construction done' by then. My 'hmm' above for Durango is because I didn't know the earlier plans for one involved NEVI funding, and I had expected more progress to date..