Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger for the Roadster (Elon said "No")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL I agree, Tesla isn't concerned about that. Tesla wants the length of the time of charging to drop, if the difference between 90kw and 135kw is about 5-10 minutes- not really a big deal. ALSO, the amount of Model S's that are limited is about 3,000-4,000.

The other laughable part of this is that a roadster charging at 60 kW will add miles about as fast as a MS charging at 90kW.

But no liquid cooling for the PEM. The Roadster already screams like a jet engine when charging at 16.8 kW. I can't see that little compressor keeping up at 120kW.

The PEM isn't used for DC charging so no additional PEM cooling would be needed. As spaceballs and others have pointed out, The existing HVAC system might be adequate because the newer cells have less internal resistance. They heat up less when charging, requiring less cooling per kW. And they can handle more heat, so less cooling is necessary. 60kW would add miles at about the same rate as a Model S at 90kW. It's still a big jump from 17 to 40 or 60kW!

The roadster would need some additional circuitry for charge management. Supercharging requires that the car communicate with the external charger via serial communication. It would also need an additional contactor. The one already in the ESS is the wrong kind. There's a lot more engineering and testing than meets the eye. Not saying they won't do it.

Roadster future - is supercharging feasible?

We're aware of the 400 mile battery upgrade, but currently the Tesla supercharger network only works for the Model S. Is it feasible that, along with the new battery technology, it would be possible to retrofit the Roadster for use on the supercharger network?

Dear Daniel, this matter has been long debated on TMC. According to many TMC Members Supercharging will never be allowed for the Roadster even with the new battery technology, but I hope (may I hope?) that at the very last moment Elon will announce "Supercharging also for the Roadster with the new battery technology". :wink:

I didn't see anything in that article that connected supercharging to the battery, other than the author asking if it meant there would be supercharging. There was nothing about Elon mentioning supercharging for Roadsters. Nothing. Please don't start rumors.

Interesting article! :cool: So Elon already mentioned Supercharging for the Roadster with the new battery pack. Supercool! :cool:
I imagine that the reason Tesla hasn't released the new battery pack yet is there are quite a few challenges to overcome with retro-adding new battery technology and supercharging capability. Just a guess...

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see anything in that article that connected supercharging to the battery, other than the author asking if it meant there would be supercharging. There was nothing about Elon mentioning supercharging for Roadsters. Nothing. Please don't start rumors.
This is true. We know nothing for certain.

@bonnie

Of course your English is much better than mine but that article mentions Elon saying: Musk said it will be “new generation” so what else would you expect? Would Tesla not give it Supercharger access?

Doesn't this mean that Elon says that Supercharging will be allowed also for the Roadster with the new battery pack?

I imagine that the reason Tesla hasn't released the new battery pack yet is there are quite a few challenges to overcome with retro-adding new battery technology and supercharging capability. Just a guess...

Because I really just can't hold this same conversation again, this is the last time ... engineers first learned that this upgrade would be offered when Elon announced it. That's why it isn't released yet. Not because there is a bunch of other work going on. The engineers are working on stuff like future cars. (Thx, Elon!) So people are scrambling and we'll probably see it in a couple years. And who knows if it will be 400 miles or 385 or whatever. They'll put the new battery cells in the current case and we'll all be happy. Tesla won't have to track down old cells, we'll have better range, it's a win for everyone with minimal investment.

One of the issues with supercharging a Roadster battery, new or old, is keeping it cool. I think the poor AC compressor would be working in overdrive anything above 40kW or so. What Tesla can do is possibly offer Chademo support. They will not want to enable Supercharging support as it would clog up the superchargers with slowly charging Roadsters.

Elon stated quite emphatically during his keynote at Teslive 2013 that Roadster is incompatible with Supercharging and it will NOT be offered. It lacks the bypass switch and wiring to bring the DC power into the battery pack. Obviously changing just the battery will not change that.

Also I found FOUR threads on this same topic, and just merged all of them.

Elon stated quite emphatically during his keynote at Teslive 2013 that Roadster is incompatible with Supercharging and it will NOT be offered. It lacks the bypass switch and wiring to bring the DC power into the battery pack. Obviously changing just the battery will not change that.

Also I found FOUR threads on this same topic, and just merged all of them.

So, that's a maybe? :)