Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Goldsboro, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah EVs have kinda worked out perfect for them. They bank on people going in for something while filling gas but not many people actually do that since it's so quick and most pay with card.

EVs on the other hand; they've got you pretty much stuck there for at least 10 minutes. More then enough time to think about getting a drink or something.

Or a whole meal. I'm still amazed sit-down restaurants along interstates haven't taken on EV charging. 50kW and up is perfect for an hour long meal. Could you imagine "urban" Superchargers at Chilis and Crackerbarrel?

With Kinston just opened, seems a bit weird that they're doing another one so close... but more is always better.
Hopefully there will be coverage in a few of the remaining big dead zones. (Rockingham area, Boone, Elizabeth City, and Roanoke Rapids)
This was my thought too. Not sure I understand this particular install but, as you stated, more is always better.

Keep them coming to eastern NC!

Reactions: SigNC
With Kinston just opened, seems a bit weird that they're doing another one so close... but more is always better.
Hopefully there will be coverage in a few of the remaining big dead zones. (Rockingham area, Boone, Elizabeth City, and Roanoke Rapids)

I feel like it has more do with Sheetz and less to do with Tesla. My guess would be that Sheetz and Tesla have some kind of arrangement where Sheetz just tells Tesla they need some Supercharger equipment at location X and then Sheetz does most of the 'heavy lifting' of paperwork and permits. It's in both companies best interests to get the chargers setup quickly.
  • Sheetz to get a SC setup on their property so people can shop while they charge and they can see the future where gas cars are a minority. (also my guess is that there is a certain minimum radius between these 'highway' SC locations in sparse population areas for now. So if the place down the street from a Sheetz got a SC location then Sheetz wouldn't be able to get one anytime soon..... just a guess)
  • Tesla to expand their network as quickly and easily as possible

I can't get the pics to show up for me. Are other people seeing them?
I think I figured out what the problem is. I think you have to be a member of the Carolina Owners group on TMC to be able to see the pics. Maybe @ncent (or someone else with ncent's permission) would be willing and able to repost them in this thread where they'll be viewable to everyone?

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I feel like it has more do with Sheetz and less to do with Tesla. My guess would be that Sheetz and Tesla have some kind of arrangement where Sheetz just tells Tesla they need some Supercharger equipment at location X and then Sheetz does most of the 'heavy lifting' of paperwork and permits. It's in both companies best interests to get the chargers setup quickly.
  • Sheetz to get a SC setup on their property so people can shop while they charge and they can see the future where gas cars are a minority. (also my guess is that there is a certain minimum radius between these 'highway' SC locations in sparse population areas for now. So if the place down the street from a Sheetz got a SC location then Sheetz wouldn't be able to get one anytime soon..... just a guess)
  • Tesla to expand their network as quickly and easily as possible
You're right about the location being more to do with Sheetz, but wrong about the process. Besides providing signed forms saying that Tesla has the property owner's permission to be applying for approvals, Sheetz is almost totally uninvolved in the process of construction or pre-construction development. Sheetz corporate plays a big part in determining which locations are chosen and when, and they okay the site designs that Tesla develops once plans are drawn up for any given location. But beyond that and providing the property owner's signature everything is done by Tesla.

You're right about the location being more to do with Sheetz, but wrong about the process....

Dang it, I thought i was going to go the whole 2020 without ever being wrong! :p Thanks for the insight/clarification, it was just a random uneducated guess.:D I do love the teamwork between the 2 companies and I love how Sheetz doesnt even consider themselves a 'gas station': talk about seeing the writing on the wall.

Definition of a Sheetz (Source)
Above all else, Sheetz is about providing kicked-up convenience while being more than just a convenience store. Sheetz is a mecca for people on the go. If you need to refuel your car or refresh your body, we have what you need to keep you moving on to whatever comes next.

Reactions: byeLT4 and mociaf9
As I recall when this Sheetz station was being built they may have installed the necessary conduit for EV chargers. In any event I couldn’t see any signs of digging to place the Supercharger cabinets. In any event here are the photographs. I will try to get by there in a few days to take more.

Attachments

• B858BD61-B0F9-463B-9313-524431529F31.jpeg
    B858BD61-B0F9-463B-9313-524431529F31.jpeg
    760.3 KB · Views: 96
  • AE5F73E2-FB9F-4787-ACC2-6767731FEA6C.jpeg
    AE5F73E2-FB9F-4787-ACC2-6767731FEA6C.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 42CF4603-AC3B-41C9-BC93-85DE579AF158.jpeg
    42CF4603-AC3B-41C9-BC93-85DE579AF158.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 74
  • D3DB9C30-377E-4250-8587-3AD4027FD0D9.jpeg
    D3DB9C30-377E-4250-8587-3AD4027FD0D9.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 80
Now we just need a charger in New Bern and Jacksonville and the vast majority of Eastern coastal NC will be covered. I’m honestly a bit surprised they built the Goldsboro location being that it’s so close between Smithfield and Kinston, but any new supercharger is great!

I’m still bummed there’s no Supercharger between Rocky Mount & suburbs of Richmond. Emporia is a perfect location because it’s where anyone going to Norfolk/VA Beach from areas south exits off I-95 onto Hwy 58. Electrify America has a station in Emporia, but I don’t own a Chademo adapter, nor do I really want to spend $450 for 50kW charging. If Tesla offered a CCS adapter that could do 150-250kW I may acquire one so long as it’s not ridiculously priced. Driving from Raleigh to VA Beach is about as much as my P3D+ can manage in winter. Emporia would allow me to bypass the dreadful Norfolk supercharger that I normally arrive to on “fumes”.

From Charlotte going to Wilmington (or vice versa), we need something along the US-74 route that allows for a more relaxed drive...
I agree. I also want one in Pinehurst or thereabout. US-1 is an interstate grade road for much of the distance between Raleigh and Pinehurst. I know many people that commute from Pinehurst to Raleigh everyday, and many people that go to Pinehurst to play golf for the day from Charlotte, Raleigh & Greensboro. It doesn’t have to be a huge station, 4 chargers would likely be enough, but we need something.

i posted a few months ago about an experience I had that really scared me. My grandfather was in a serious accident in Rockingham. I was driving home to Raleigh from Asheboro. I had maybe 40% SOC in my P3D at the time. The car projected arriving at the hospital with 2-3% left. I’d be stuck if I went there because there wasn’t even any AC charging nearby. I ended up having to call my aunts in Wilmington to drive to Rockingham to get him from the hospital. That was the first time I’d ever faced a situation of not being able to go somewhere because I was in an EV. I could’ve driven to the Cary Supercharger, but it would’ve been an extra 60+ minutes out of my way. That’s a huge issue when you’re trying to get somewhere as fast as possible. I personally think most major roadways (interstates, freeways, 4-lane US Highways, etc.) should have Superchargers at least every 60 miles, or at least we need a CCS adapter so we can start to use some of the CCS chargers being built all over. The State of NC is building many 50-100kW CCS chargers with their VW diesel gate money. I’ve been mortified to see on Plugshare where they say “we awarded a contract of $130,000 to build ONE 62kW CCS charger” in BF Nowhere. They’re getting taken to the cleaners on some of the stations they’re having built.

Reactions: mikes_fsd