Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - King City, CA (LIVE 15 Sep 2023, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, judging from the street view pictures, where they are putting the supercharges seems to be the favorite place for people to park in that parking lot. It is the only place with shade in that parking lot. This is likely to cause a lot of ICEing there.

• Informative
Reactions: goldengate
Drove by yesterday
IMG_4877.jpeg
IMG_4876.jpeg
IMG_4878.jpeg

Nope, no Magic Dock at this install. Perhaps never again, it's been a while since any of those were installed and Tesla has since announced that tech will go into adapters for Ford and GM and potentially others yet to be announced.

If you let just any old car Supercharge using Magic Docks you just encourage bad parking to reach the inlet of random cars and potentially people plugging in non-approved vehicles like homebuilts.

If you let just any old car Supercharge using Magic Docks you just encourage bad parking to reach the inlet of random cars and potentially people plugging in non-approved vehicles like homebuilts.
If the reports that Tesla/GM/Ford will sell an adapter for existing Ford/GM EV's to use existing Superchargers this will happen anyways. Unless Tesla also implements plug to charge and less onerous non-Tesla EV pricing, its unlikely many non Tesla EVs will choose superchargers if nearby (relatively reliable) CCS chargers are available. Since most of my long distance trips there are Supercharges/CCS in close proximity - I choose based on the nearby amenities available. Since I got the CCS adapter I've used CCS 80% of the time. Although this may mean fiddling with the adapter and phone app along with sometimes slower charger speeds, if it enables eating the correct tacos while charging I'll go CCS.

If that is really where the transformer should go where are the conduits and concrete pad? Tesla needs to install this for the utility to connect to so I am suspect that this is the location of the transformer.

Not saying that's the case here, but in some other locations the local utility has brought in a prefab concrete pad (thinking specifically of San Rafael, CA). No idea how the conduits get installed in that scenario though.

Bruce.

Not saying that's the case here, but in some other locations the local utility has brought in a prefab concrete pad (thinking specifically of San Rafael, CA). No idea how the conduits get installed in that scenario though.

Bruce.
They probably have conduit stubbed to the edge of the dirt and capped underground and once they dig out for the prefab transformer pad, they bring it over and up out of the dirt. Saves it being in the wrong location for the pad and having to excavate for the pad. The transformer and pad is the utility’s responsibility, not teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy and bmah
They probably have conduit stubbed to the edge of the dirt and capped underground and once they dig out for the prefab transformer pad, they bring it over and up out of the dirt. Saves it being in the wrong location for the pad and having to excavate for the pad. The transformer and pad is the utility’s responsibility, not teslas.
Not saying it definitely can't go here but also remember the utility will typically require bollards in front of any equipment and it looks like the asphalt was already put down without any location for bollards to be placed. We will see in a few weeks time what occurs here.

Not saying it definitely can't go here but also remember the utility will typically require bollards in front of any equipment and it looks like the asphalt was already put down without any location for bollards to be placed. We will see in a few weeks time what occurs here.
There’s a big dirt patch, plenty of space for a pad and bollards without disrupting the new asphalt which likely has conduit underneath. There is not a rule that says the transformer pad has to go all the way to the blacktop.

IMG_0400.JPGIMG_0402.JPGIMG_0403.JPG
To clarify the arrangement:
1. 8 on the left as you drive in; back in
2. 6 at the back as your drive in; nose in
3. 2 adjacent to the building; back in. These lack tire stops; they use some kind of bollards. (These bollards are also in use at the new San Ardo site.)