Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the using all 7 seats out on public roads which is the significant bit, a first as far as I know, and a topic for a different thread.

I'm not sure if that needs pointing out, but I posted it not because of the 7 seats used (that was just an additional interesting point), but because it is one of the initial uses of the Supercharger, after its launch, for a real-world trip (as opposed to a pre-release test-drive or -charge).

And actually, someone could argue that DrComputer's trip wasn't a real-world long trip, since he could have taken delivery at home, or close to home, and his trip was to pick up the car at the factory, as opposed to making a trip in the first place. (Not to diminish the significance of DrComputer's trip, though). :)

Last edited:
And actually, someone could argue that DrComputer's trip wasn't a real-world long trip, since he could have taken delivery at home, or close to home, and his trip was to pick up the car at the factory, as opposed to making a trip in the first place. (Not to diminish the significance of DrComputer's trip, though). :)
Someone could make a better argument that a trip made by a company executive isn't a "real-world long trip." DrComputer is an actual non-insider customer (doesn't matter where he took delivery, he made real world use of the network), and actual customers have yet to be able to use the rear jump seats.

Someone could make a better argument that a trip made by a company executive isn't a "real-world long trip." DrComputer is an actual non-insider customer (doesn't matter where he took delivery, he made real world use of the network), and actual customers have yet to be able to use the rear jump seats.

Yes, I agree one could argue both ways. DrComputer definitely gets the "first known long-trip use following official launch" award. However, in any case, in my view, the Supercharger network is not properly launched until we have maybe a handful or so reports of successful use for long trips. One singular use case does't feel sufficient to say it is operating 'in public service'. Might just have worked by coincidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I'm sure Elon made his tweet in relation to the recent launch. He isn't like Kevin who seems to tweet every time he uses a public charger.

A few of the Founders Series did. I don't believe all the Founders had the P85 badging or any of the Performance Signatures have it.

Larry

I asked this guy with initials E.M. (He seemed like he'd be a good source) if the P85 badge would be on performance sedans and he answered with an emphatic "Yes!". I take it that as meaning that we'll see the option for placement in the future.