Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Leesburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally think this would be a good location for 4 to 6 SX

I think it would be a decent location for a small set of Superchargers - perhaps four.

US-15 is a well-traveled corridor for both commuters and weekend travelers. While the location offers an alternative to the usual mall or shopping center, it isn’t convenient enough or large enough to serve travelers and residents outside of the immediate US-15 corridor.

I don’t think this should get priority over Leesburg and Frederick unless Tesla is having trouble finding suitable sites/partners, so my “support” for this site is only in addition to Superchargers for Loudon and Frederick.
Yeah, and that's the problem. So far, Tesla has indicated one site planned in Loudoun. And even that is next year. (Frederick is actually 2018!) And we know how the 'next year' sites fare! :D

And I don't think I ever got a response to the infrastructure inquiry. Some places it's not a problem. But I would assume way up 15 towards the border, it's not trivial to drop in power for Superchargers, no? Or is it already there because of this building and the one across the street? I'm not up on commercial power supply....

Yeah, and that's the problem. So far, Tesla has indicated one site planned in Loudoun. And even that is next year. (Frederick is actually 2018!) And we know how the 'next year' sites fare! :D

And I don't think I ever got a response to the infrastructure inquiry. Some places it's not a problem. But I would assume way up 15 towards the border, it's not trivial to drop in power for Superchargers, no? Or is it already there because of this building and the one across the street? I'm not up on commercial power supply....

I’d have to look along that route to see how the utilities are configured. There might be enough power for a small Supercharger installation.

So, I had another response on Facebook, and the owner has said he's reaching out to Tesla to 'request Superchargers' and wondered if I/we would support their request:
I want to be pragmatic about this, as Tesla doesn't have definite plans yet.
If the owners are willing to allow a 6-8 stall config on their property then I say sure, I support it.
If they're thinking of only a 1-2 bay config, then it's far less palatable to support.
And if THEY'RE shouldering some or all of the install cost since it's a brand new build, especially with the solar possibility, then it's even more attractive. For me, the key point is what the owners are willing to allow because a cosmetic installation isn't really what we want.
And I agree, the Outlet is more convenient to Route 7 than up by Point of Rocks, but if you're making THAT argument, then One Loudoun is a better location than the Outlet, from both a traffic and amenity perspective.
Can we set up a lunch or dinner with the owner and get all the cards on the table?

I want to be pragmatic about this, as Tesla doesn't have definite plans yet.
If the owners are willing to allow a 6-8 stall config on their property then I say sure, I support it.
If they're thinking of only a 1-2 bay config, then it's far less palatable to support.
And if THEY'RE shouldering some or all of the install cost since it's a brand new build, especially with the solar possibility, then it's even more attractive. For me, the key point is what the owners are willing to allow because a cosmetic installation isn't really what we want.
And I agree, the Outlet is more convenient to Route 7 than up by Point of Rocks, but if you're making THAT argument, then One Loudoun is a better location than the Outlet, from both a traffic and amenity perspective.
Can we set up a lunch or dinner with the owner and get all the cards on the table?
If someone wants to respond to the FB page, it’s above, but I think they may need more info from Tesla before deciding how invested to get. Do we even know if this is an option for a Superchsrger installation? For a site owner to pay for part of the install? I thought all that was the option was how much land (dedicated parking for example) to donate.

• Disagree
Reactions: MXFan
If someone wants to respond to the FB page, it’s above, but I think they may need more info from Tesla before deciding how invested to get. Do we even know if this is an option for a Superchsrger installation? For a site owner to pay for part of the install? I thought all that was the option was how much land (dedicated parking for example) to donate.
Tesla doesn't own the supercharger sites (Fremont's probably the exception); they're leasing them from the property owner so ultimately it's the owner at each site that determines how big it is.
I'm not a Bookface user but I'd be more than happy to be part of any in-person discussion. While I don't have supercharger negotiating experience, I have helped with a destination charger site in PA. Just need someone to take point to suggest a meeting. The more Tesla owners that attend the better.
There's no supercharger site that stands empty, so the motto "If you build it, they will come" is appropriate. The worst that comes of the meeting is that the owners realize that they don't want to part with that much parking and decide on a couple of slow chargers for show. The best is that they were thinking small and we convince them to go big.

• Informative
Reactions: MXFan
I’d have to look along that route to see how the utilities are configured. There might be enough power for a small Supercharger installation.

You know now that you mention this. isnt that area only single phase power, if so they may not have enough power to provide.

I'm heading up 15 in the morning and will look. I thought the 3 phase ends near the volaro station.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
You know now that you mention this. isnt that area only single phase power, if so they may not have enough power to provide.

I'm heading up 15 in the morning and will look. I thought the 3 phase ends near the volaro station.

The three phase appears to cut across a field to the north of the Valero and then crosses at the intersection of 15 and 664 (Wilt Store Road) and then takes a turn down 664. It looks like single phase power at the Sunoco station on the VA side of the bridge. It isn’t a terribly far run to extend to the gas station site if they were really interested in doing it.

A little more recon would be helpful since you can only glean so much from Google Streetview.

Last edited:
The three phase appears to cut across a field to the north of the Valero and then crosses at the intersection of 15 and 664 (Wilt Store Road) and then takes a turn down 664. It looks like single phase power at the Sunoco station on the VA side of the bridge. It isn’t a terribly far run to extend to the gas station site if they were really interested in doing it.

A little more recon would be helpful since you can only glean so much from Google Streetview.
This is what I was thinking about and the fact that they might have to pay for part of the actual infrastructure. The parking investment is the least of the problem, I believe. :D

Drove by the site this AM.The street power 3 phase ends just north of Luckets. They drop to a single conductor. Near Valaro. It’s not much more than a farm circuit from that point. I can not see Tesla even considering that site for a SC it would cost a fortune to upgarade that feed. The 3 phase that crosses at the last straw farm could be a “Private” dedicated feeder. I would have to get on google to see if it crosses the river and heads over to Buzzards Point plant.

Sigh... what are you disagreeing about? Please don’t disagree and not post a comment. I’m perfectly willing to discuss an opinion or new fact you have but this is useless.

Do you think other Superchargers *have* had land owners pay toward infrastructure costs? What?

Reactions: jthompson
Does anyone actually know for sure what the usual relationship is between Tesla and the parking lot owners where the superchargers are installed?

-Physical Space: Does Tesla lease the parking spaces? I'm thinking no as then Tesla would be able to prevent icing
-Install: Do they pay for the install? I'm thinking yes as supercharger install is usually a line item in the financials each quarter.
-Physical Hardware: Does Tesla own the hardware after install? I'm thinking yes as all superchargers look identical and are occasionally upgraded.
-Electric Bill: Who pays for the electricity? Tesla collects from owners who don't have free supercharging but do they then pay the local electricity company? Do they pay the parking lot owner a portion of their bill? Or perhaps the parking lot owner foots the electricity bill (unlikely)?

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Does anyone actually know for sure what the usual relationship is between Tesla and the parking lot owners where the superchargers are installed?

-Physical Space: Does Tesla lease the parking spaces? I'm thinking no as then Tesla would be able to prevent icing
-Install: Do they pay for the install? I'm thinking yes as supercharger install is usually a line item in the financials each quarter.
-Physical Hardware: Does Tesla own the hardware after install? I'm thinking yes as all superchargers look identical and are occasionally upgraded.
-Electric Bill: Who pays for the electricity? Tesla collects from owners who don't have free supercharging but do they then pay the local electricity company? Do they pay the parking lot owner a portion of their bill? Or perhaps the parking lot owner foots the electricity bill (unlikely)?
It certainly isn't a sale, as the lot owners maintain control over maintenance like plowing, towing and signage. It's a lease.
Tesla identifies and hires the contractors that do the work. That's why they were signing NDA's about not disclosing where they go to nest and when the site opens.
It's Tesla's hardware and Tesla's employees that are dispatched to perform maintenance on the sites. I've bumped into many and they've all specified they were Tesla employees. And since it's their equipment, that's why they can do things like swap out hoses and fix broken cabinets.
Tesla pays the electric bill. There have been a few instances where a site has gone offline due to a mixup in getting the bill paid. Most notably Newark DE. Anybody that pays for supercharging is paying Tesla directly; I thought it was a line item on the bill for Service Center visits.

I just spotted some cabinets that look like super chargers on the second level of the parking garage at the Village at Leesburg (Google Maps) near the movie theater. The corresponding section on the first level is also fenced off. I suspect this is it. The pictures are kinda bad, but I think you can read super charger stenciled on the pallet.

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_173244.jpg
    IMG_20190217_173244.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20190217_173323.jpg
    IMG_20190217_173323.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 224
I just spotted some cabinets that look like super chargers on the second level of the parking garage at the Village at Leesburg (Google Maps) near the movie theater. The corresponding section on the first level is also fenced off. I suspect this is it. The pictures are kinda bad, but I think you can read super charger stenciled on the pallet.
That’s a Supercharger cabinet if I’ve ever seen one. Great catch!

Here’s a new one for you, @Chuq

Awesome! Great find!

Very interesting and great detective work! I seldom am down route 7 that way (using 15 to get north if needed) but that’s an easy detour if a charge is needed on the way home to the south.

Guess that puts paid to the idea of one closer to the river crossing?