Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Marina Del Rey, CA (LIVE 28 Jul 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m charging there at 1am. The valet guy was exasperated and was like this my first day. The hotel wants the drivers to hang out in the lobby or around the parking lot but not sit in the cars. He knew the rules were stupid and told me to just go ahead and charge myself.

He confirmed the one hr free parking which we have to be thankful for. Can you imagine if they charged us just to be here. I’ll still text the manager in the morning asking them to rethink the setup. The good news is it ramped up to 250kw as it should.

bb567286-579f-46e0-a97a-3fbef7f450c8-jpeg.834125

Attachments

• BB567286-579F-46E0-A97A-3FBEF7F450C8.jpeg
    BB567286-579F-46E0-A97A-3FBEF7F450C8.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 269
Reactions: rayluis1988
I would not trust someone to park my car, and to plug it for me.

- Can you stay inside the car (as passenger) when a valet will park your car, to be sure your can don't get scratched or your wheels get damaged?

- Can you access your car when the car is charging?

- Would the vallet disconnect the charger and move the car when the battery is full, so you don't get overcharged?

- What would happen if you park yourself? Would you get tow or get a fee?

Note: Best would be to boycot this location, so Tesla will certainly noticed that it is not used and may be do something with the hotel management.
Maybe the hotel should make the area only available for Tesla, so the valet company will not liable for any damages to other cars.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Willis
Bit of advice: For those of you who charge there, even if you disagree with the valet-only policy, please be nice and don't hassle the valet attendants. In all likelihood they had zero say in deciding the policy, but they have to work with it. And as someone wrote upthread, they're probably going to see a lot of unhappy Tesla drivers soon. It'd probably be best for all if Tesla owners left a collective impression as polite and reasonable people, even if dissatisfied.

Bruce.

Bit of advice: For those of you who charge there, even if you disagree with the valet-only policy, please be nice and don't hassle the valet attendants. In all likelihood they had zero say in deciding the policy, but they have to work with it. And as someone wrote upthread, they're probably going to see a lot of unhappy Tesla drivers soon. It'd probably be best for all if Tesla owners left a collective impression as polite and reasonable people, even if dissatisfied.

Bruce.
Exactly, I disagree with that arrangement but those valet attendants for sure had ZERO say on that, so they don't deserve the hassle; Hotel Management does.

Bruce.
Hi Bruce. I could not agree more about your reminder to be polite & reasonable when dealing with the valet parkers. They are not responsible for the hotel's misguided valet policy to park & charge & fetch your car.

Willis in MDR

AVOID this Supercharger and the silly valet rules. I understand Tesla destination chargers on a private property, but having Superchargers in valet set-ups is a stupid idea. I know of almost no Tesla owner that wants to hand over their key card, fob (or iPhone! - since newer Teslas are controlled by iPhones) and let some untrusted stranger park their car (and still not safe as the pandemic continues on). Tesla owners like to charge their own car, worry-free, and be inside the comfort of their car for 20-30 minutes. Avoid this BAD setup here at this hotel, that allegedly has BAD valet managers and rude hotel managers/staff. What are you going to do in a hotel lobby for 20 minutes anyway when most users are probably locals? There's nothing to do here. Use the Supercharger 5 minutes away in Playa Vista. This was a horrible choice by Tesla/this hotel to place chargers here (they should have leased or purchased a section of the MDR parking lots where the public can freely access location, or even next to the Trader Joes one street over). Bad decision :(

I have always been under the impression in my 10 years of driving a Tesla that the Superchargers were for the vehicle owners to use, not intended for valet. Why they put these chargers here is dumb. Owners DON'T want someone else getting in and driving/parking their car (and especially since we are still in a pandemic). If we have to pay in a lot, fine, but not let some stranger in to park the car. Tesla owners like to park their own car and stay inside for 20-30 minutes. Most newer Teslas are controlled by the iPhone, so I don't see how this is going to work. Nobody is going to hand over their iPhone to a valet for any amount of time. Avoid this Supercharger until they make it non-valet. Or just go 5 minutes away over to Playa Vista.

Reactions: JRP3
Thats a super great question. Do we have to keep an eye on our phones or will they do it? I dont think they will, that would be another responsibility for them and i wouldn't thing they are up to it.
1. You need to keep track on your phone.
2. A few minutes before you hit your SOC (State of Charge) limit, ask the valet for your car. No issue at 10:30pm as they're were not busy. I think this will be problematic when they are busy with Hotel Guests and shuffling Teslas.

⚠️ Make sure to bring your key card for valet.

Reactions: cruiserlarry
Came again to see what the hotel is doing late at night. The valet just let me park and plug in myself and wait in my car.

Something interesting is they have 4 cars plugged in with no owners inside. Probably people staying at the hotel. I wonder if these owners will be charged penalties if more visitors come to charge.

Reactions: Willis
I would think the Supercharger will charge idle fees to Tesla owner, no matter what. It will be hard to dispute these penalties as the phone app alerts you to move your car or face $1/min fees, and then after 5min grace period, that you getting charged $1/min.

Good to hear that valet let you self park and stay in your car late at night. That's my plan too. Arrive after 10pm for off-peak charging at 29¢/kW

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have always been under the impression in my 10 years of driving a Tesla that the Superchargers were for the vehicle owners to use, not intended for valet. Why they put these chargers here is dumb. Owners DON'T want someone else getting in and driving/parking their car (and especially since we are still in a pandemic). If we have to pay in a lot, fine, but not let some stranger in to park the car. Tesla owners like to park their own car and stay inside for 20-30 minutes. Most newer Teslas are controlled by the iPhone, so I don't see how this is going to work. Nobody is going to hand over their iPhone to a valet for any amount of time. Avoid this Supercharger until they make it non-valet. Or just go 5 minutes away over to Playa Vista.
There are quite a few valet locations. There's one in Brooklyn. At least three in Manhattan. I think there is another location in CA somewhere that is valet. You have a choice whether to use a location that requires Valet but I know of no stipulation that a supercharger location cannot be valet.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017