Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow guess I was a bit OT and have the thread side tracked asking if some one has done North Bay => Deep River with our brand new trans-route "mostly V3" SC that came on line for Christmas.

Weather permitting it would be nice to see the difference there and back.

upload_2019-12-30_7-57-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-30_7-27-22.png
    upload_2019-12-30_7-27-22.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Reactions: Manitoba Keith
Even though you start and end each cycle at river level the east side of the hills are steeper than the west side. I've driven Ottawa to Sudbury perhaps a hundred times in ICE cars and for equal weather conditions and car loads at the same speeds the westbound leg results in 8-10% higher fuel consumption EVERY SINGLE TRIP.
But ICE cars don't regen when you are going downhill. I thought that with a Tesla if you have no net change in elevation then temporary changes in altitude should not cause very significant increases in energy consumption. At least that is my experience in five years of driving my Model S.

^^^^ Weather, wind, hills, tire pressure, weight in the vehicle and on and on all play factors. The data has to be started somewhere and a few data points there and back and looking at actual vs theoretical (above based on 450 km range) could provide an initial bases to start talking about the regen. Mattawa elevation 157 m Deep River elevation 148 m 10 m difference and pretty close, however, not a horizontal line. As I mentioned you can roller coaster this stretch in a beater with an old transmission. It can be babied and get through it with a pretty quick average speed; but not consistent. I do not know regen yet? :(

Last edited:
But ICE cars don't regen when you are going downhill. I thought that with a Tesla if you have no net change in elevation then temporary changes in altitude should not cause very significant increases in energy consumption. At least that is my experience in five years of driving my Model S.

No kidding ICE cars don't regenerate! The reference to ICE fuel economy was as an indication of the energy requirement difference between eastbound and westbound trips. ICE fuel consumption is indeed another form of energy use. It is of course far more damped than we see in a BEV because of the inefficiency of the ICE. I also extrapolated a fuel economy difference over the Deep River to Mattawa stretch because that was the original question to which I was responding. When I drive westbound fuel consumption is more or less constant until I get to Deep River and then increases quite significantly peaking at Mattawa and thereafter starts to drop. Hence the reason I extrapolated a higher difference between westbound and eastbound over the Deep River to Mattawa segment.

Regenerating the amount of "extra" energy spent going up a hill on the downward side is a first order approximation only. Complete equalization would represent a perpetual motion machine which anyone with any engineering or physics acumen knows is an impossibility. But certainly for low hills with roughly equal slopes on each side we do tend to see something approaching 95% recovery so the "hill cycle" losses are barely, if at all, noticeable. If I recall correctly Deep River to Bisset Creek has a peak rise of 130 meters, Bisset Creek to Deux Riviere has a peak rise of 152 meters (that one I know for sure) and Deux Riviere to Mattawa has a peak rise of 140 meters (measured by GPS). And there are many local maxima and minima along each segment. There are several warning signs of steep descents at 8 and 11 percent for the east side (eastbound down and westbound uphill) but none on the west side of the hills. The only steep hill on the west side of the peaks is immediately east of Mattawa.

Actual numbers from the car's "Trip B odometer" will tell if my concerns are accurate or overblown. Until then I can only go on my experience of some 100 trips driving ICE cars over this route and "transposing" that to the Tesla. I have done the same on another frequent trip of mine and see a reasonable correlation that my Tesla indeed requires more energy in the same stretches that the ICE car fuel consumption increases and similar rate differences between the "uphill and downhill" directions. We'll see when I get to drive the Tesla to Sudbury.

^^^ "One gallon of gasoline contains approximately 33.7 kWh of energy. The 100 kWh battery pack in a Tesla Model S 100D contains the energy equivalent of less than 3 gallons of gasoline"

11.2 liters in 100 KWh pack 8.33 L in a model 3 . ICE is a complete different beast and no doubt you burn more one way. A BEV's input on the matter will be kool as that would be new to me.

^^^^ Weather, wind, hills, tire pressure, weight in the vehicle and on and on all play factors.
There are many complexities for sure. If you wanted to do a truly scientific study, you'd want to use the same car on the same day and you'd want it to be a day that had calm winds (like literally 0kph). You'd even want to pick a day that was overcast as these cars are basically green houses on wheels. Also overcast days usually have less temperature variation so you would be doing each leg at similar temperatures. You'd also want to give the car a rest before turning around and going back, which would allow the batteries to cool and the tires to revert to cold pressure.

Bottom line is one guy saying he uses 170wH/km and another guy saying he uses 160 is fairly worthless data out of context.

Reactions: XHabjab
There are many complexities for sure. If you wanted to do a truly scientific study, you'd want to use the same car on the same day and you'd want it to be a day that had calm winds (like literally 0kph). You'd even want to pick a day that was overcast as these cars are basically green houses on wheels. Also overcast days usually have less temperature variation so you would be doing each leg at similar temperatures. You'd also want to give the car a rest before turning around and going back, which would allow the batteries to cool and the tires to revert to cold pressure.

Bottom line is one guy saying he uses 170wH/km and another guy saying he uses 160 is fairly worthless data out of context.

Whatever order of magnitude engineering works for this one here; just wanted to know if anyone did the north bay - mattawa run and how much it ran down there pack through those hills. You are not running that 170 km/hr but assume 110 if they are coming from the north? Are you the OT guru? It appears that their are alway disinformation know it alls on every forum.

Whatever order of magnitude engineering works for this one here; just wanted to know if anyone did the north bay - mattawa run and how much it ran down there pack through those hills. You are not running that 170 km/hr but assume 110 if they are coming from the north? Are you the OT guru? It appears that their are alway disinformation know it alls on every forum.
This post was fairly unintelligible but I did want to point out that in my example I said 170wH/km as in how much energy the car uses per kilometer traveled. I was not referring to speed (kph). Obviously no one is averaging 170kph on this leg.

Does anyone in North Bay area know if the charging station is working? I was heading to Temagami a few weeks back and had to travel through Sudbury as the charger was "closed"

any help gratefully appreciated.

Laurie
I'm not from the area but Plugshare shows 2 checkins from May 22 and 23 both saying that they were able to charge even though it was indicated that they were temporarily out of service or closed.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Edit - I see from plugshare that there are 2 residences that appear to have home Tesla chargers on the outskirts of North Bay. I believe if you set yourself up a plugshare account that you may be able to contact those people to see if they can give you a status update on the Supercharger. If they don't show up for you, you may need to click the correct options for the map to show both private residences and Tesla chargers.

Last edited:
I'm not from the area but Plugshare shows 2 checkins from May 22 and 23 both saying that they were able to charge even though it was indicated that they were temporarily out of service or closed.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Edit - I see from plugshare that there are 2 residences that appear to have home Tesla chargers on the outskirts of North Bay. I believe if you set yourself up a plugshare account that you may be able to contact those people to see if they can give you a status update on the Supercharger. If they don't show up for you, you may need to click the correct options for the map to show both private residences and Tesla chargers.
Thank you, I shall. I am understandably concerned to travel to that area and be at the end of my distance and not have a functional charging station. The on-board Tesla car app routed me differently indicating onMay 24th it was not operational. I don’t recall the exact phrase.