Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How has a adapter not been working? There are a few that are faulty, and Tesla will replace them if it is a bad one.
It doesn't work in that it hasn't worked anywhere I've tried to use it yet - not once. I've tried at the Ivy station in Huntsville, the Tim Hortons in North Bay and the TH in New Liskeard. Tesla logged into my car and re-pushed an update, Tesla Ranger met with me in Barrie a couple weeks ago and gave me a replacement, it hasn't worked so far either (tho I only tried it once so far).
I'm told the EVRoute chargers are undependable, and the Ivy network is not compatible with Tesla even with an adapter, and I haven't found a local Petro Canada charger yet for a final test. I have no idea if it's the charger, the car, the adapter, or the operator ;) , at fault.
Hence my suggestion for folks to log into the Tesla site to suggest locations - SCs are still the only dependable option for fast charging, at least for me.

It doesn't work in that it hasn't worked anywhere I've tried to use it yet - not once. I've tried at the Ivy station in Huntsville, the Tim Hortons in North Bay and the TH in New Liskeard. Tesla logged into my car and re-pushed an update, Tesla Ranger met with me in Barrie a couple weeks ago and gave me a replacement, it hasn't worked so far either (tho I only tried it once so far).
I'm told the EVRoute chargers are undependable, and the Ivy network is not compatible with Tesla even with an adapter, and I haven't found a local Petro Canada charger yet for a final test. I have no idea if it's the charger, the car, the adapter, or the operator ;) , at fault.
Hence my suggestion for folks to log into the Tesla site to suggest locations - SCs are still the only dependable option for fast charging, at least for me.

Try the Circuit Electrique in Ville-Marie or any others around that area. This past October, my Chademo adapter wouldn't work at any of the myEVRoute chargers (e.g., TH in North Bay, ScotiaBank in Spanish, etc., and many other people are reporting similar problems). But the Circuit Electrique chargers worked just fine for me, although the ones I was using were NE of Montreal. Also, the Petro Can chargers seem to work well with the Chademo adapter (but you'd have to go farther west to get to those).

Try the Circuit Electrique in Ville-Marie or any others around that area. This past October, my Chademo adapter wouldn't work at any of the myEVRoute chargers (e.g., TH in North Bay, ScotiaBank in Spanish, etc., and many other people are reporting similar problems). But the Circuit Electrique chargers worked just fine for me, although the ones I was using were NE of Montreal. Also, the Petro Can chargers seem to work well with the Chademo adapter (but you'd have to go farther west to get to those).

do you need an app to use them? That seems like quite a side trip just to pick up some sparks, but next year I may not have a choice.

do you need an app to use them? That seems like quite a side trip just to pick up some sparks, but next year I may not have a choice.
Yes you need an app and/or an rfid card. Both are available through FLO (www.flo.com and select the Canadian English or French site). Once you've registered, you put some money into your FLO account through your credit card. I've found FLO to be very handy as it is an umbrella service that covers FLO branded chargers, Circuit Electrique / Electric Circuit chargers and Chargepoint (handy in the USA although I've never tried them out yet). Every FLO charger I've had to use has always worked properly either J1772 or with my Chademo adapter for my M3.

Yes you need an app and/or an rfid card. Both are available through FLO (www.flo.com and select the Canadian English or French site). Once you've registered, you put some money into your FLO account through your credit card. I've found FLO to be very handy as it is an umbrella service that covers FLO branded chargers, Circuit Electrique / Electric Circuit chargers and Chargepoint (handy in the USA although I've never tried them out yet). Every FLO charger I've had to use has always worked properly either J1772 or with my Chademo adapter for my M3.

ok, thanks. do you recommend getting their access card, or has the phone app worked for you? How much is the card/

Here is hoping the opg hydro one venture is Tesla compatible as we assume they will run up to kap

I've seen the preliminary list, they will have them in more rural areas (New Liskeard is the only one I remember as that is where I want it ;) ) , but, like you say, hopefully they will eventually be compatible with Tesla...They seem to be going in near or at existing Hydro One service centres.

ok, thanks. do you recommend getting their access card, or has the phone app worked for you? How much is the card/
I recommend getting the access card. The current cost (which I think is what I paid as well) is $CDN 15. The phone app has always worked for me, but the benefit of the access card, especially in remote areas, is that it isn't dependent on internet service being available. Thus it's a good backup if for whatever reason your cell phone can't get a signal where you are trying to charge.

Reactions: Vawlkus and Can37
First post but a little PSA for the community regarding MyEVRoute. I do not currently own a Tesla so I rely on 3rd party charging. DO NOT rely on MyEvRoute, they’re either having a network issue, or it’s the beginning of the end. None of their chargers has worked since late October early November.

hope that clears up that issue with the adapters at TH.

• Informative
Reactions: GarthG and mociaf9

I use the app, and it just bills my credit card. I did not have to put any money into an account beforehand (which I would not have done because I dislike those kind of systems). I think I tried to order the access card, but they wouldn't send it to the US. In the US, many third party chargers (i.e., non-Tesla) use the Greenlots app, and I've always had good luck with that.

• Informative
Reactions: GarthG
I've seen the preliminary list, they will have them in more rural areas (New Liskeard is the only one I remember as that is where I want it ;) ) , but, like you say, hopefully they will eventually be compatible with Tesla...They seem to be going in near or at existing Hydro One service centres.

Hoping for a charger virus in Northern Ontario as it should help adoption. Saw a tesla heading out of ottawa on the way back and wondered if it was working towards deep river. Anyone that has ran the mattawa - deep river stretch I would be interested in temp, road conditions, pack size and percent drop on that stretch. North Bay - Deep River would give the same info and would give me an idea of EPA under Ontario highway winter conditions.

Hoping for a charger virus in Northern Ontario as it should help adoption. Saw a tesla heading out of ottawa on the way back and wondered if it was working towards deep river. Anyone that has ran the mattawa - deep river stretch I would be interested in temp, road conditions, pack size and percent drop on that stretch. North Bay - Deep River would give the same info and would give me an idea of EPA under Ontario highway winter conditions.

For round trips, Ottawa to North Bay you really need the energy consumption numbers westbound between Deep River and Mattawa. It is the Deep River to Mattawa direction that consumes the most energy over the three main hill cycles - Deep River to Bisset Creek, Bisset Creek to Deux Riviere and Deux Riviere to Mattawa because of the geology of the area. Even though you start and end each cycle at river level the east side of the hills are steeper than the west side. I've driven Ottawa to Sudbury perhaps a hundred times in ICE cars and for equal weather conditions and car loads at the same speeds the westbound leg results in 8-10% higher fuel consumption EVERY SINGLE TRIP. That number is an average over the entire trip so the actual Deep River to Mattawa section will reflect a higher variance, I'd estimate something in the amount of 13% higher. I will be heading to Sudbury sometime in Jan 20 and I'll use the Trip B data to monitor energy consumption over the Deep River to Mattawa segment each direction and report back. Hopefully others will have made the trip before then and done the same monitoring so we can build up a small dataset that can give a reasonably trustworthy indication of energy use for this trip.

• Informative
For round trips, Ottawa to North Bay you really need the energy consumption numbers westbound between Deep River and Mattawa. It is the Deep River to Mattawa direction that consumes the most energy over the three main hill cycles - Deep River to Bisset Creek, Bisset Creek to Deux Riviere and Deux Riviere to Mattawa because of the geology of the area. Even though you start and end each cycle at river level the east side of the hills are steeper than the west side. I've driven Ottawa to Sudbury perhaps a hundred times in ICE cars and for equal weather conditions and car loads at the same speeds the westbound leg results in 8-10% higher fuel consumption EVERY SINGLE TRIP. That number is an average over the entire trip so the actual Deep River to Mattawa section will reflect a higher variance, I'd estimate something in the amount of 13% higher. I will be heading to Sudbury sometime in Jan 20 and I'll use the Trip B data to monitor energy consumption over the Deep River to Mattawa segment each direction and report back. Hopefully others will have made the trip before then and done the same monitoring so we can build up a small dataset that can give a reasonably trustworthy indication of energy use for this trip.
The prevailing winds are probably a bigger factor than the steepness of the hills. Also, Sudbury is 200m higher in elevation than Ottawa so it's no surprise that the uphill leg uses more energy than the downhill leg.

The prevailing winds are probably a bigger factor than the steepness of the hills. Also, Sudbury is 200m higher in elevation than Ottawa so it's no surprise that the uphill leg uses more energy than the downhill leg.

So how long have you lived in or even visited this area of Ontario? How many times have you driven this route? How often have you experienced our weather? But from 4000+ kms away and probably with little experience driving and living this area you can spout off telling us what the predominant factors are when driving this route. And I suppose when I report actual readings from the car after my next trip you will explain how I am wrong with those as well... Absolutely un-freaking-believable. :eek::eek::eek: So @EVPlus, Yadi-Yadi-Ya... Whatever .... Oh and I almost forgot... I am calm

So how long have you lived in or even visited this area of Ontario? How many times have you driven this route? How often have you experienced our weather? But from 4000+ kms away and probably with little experience driving and living this area you can spout off telling us what the predominant factors are when driving this route. And I suppose when I report actual readings from the car after my next trip you will explain how I am wrong with those as well... Absolutely un-freaking-believable. :eek::eek::eek: So @EVPlus, Yadi-Yadi-Ya... Whatever .... Oh and I almost forgot... I am calm
You do not come across as calm on this forum.

Nope it would be the hills; google drive it. But if the wind is against you no doubt it would be a factor but it would not be pushing you through those hills if it was at your back. 1" of freezing rain iced the highway this season when we went through west bound. There are now a couple more tales.

Yes when you go past deep river things change; after Deep River it feels like home ;). You can definitely roller coaster the stretch but yes going west bound you are going up (not into Mattawa). Must be getting up to 100's of times after 30 years and will be trying the feel good drive hopefully soon if reports on production are right. North Bay - Deep River 170 km Deep River - “Rideau Centre” 195 KM; fits a pattern.

It would be good to get some comments from any of the model 3 owners: Mattawa - Deep River? Any tales? Either way as cpwl has the variance. Who was or will be the first.

Kool times. Best of the season to of both you; stay frosty.

So how long have you lived in or even visited this area of Ontario? How many times have you driven this route? How often have you experienced our weather? But from 4000+ kms away and probably with little experience driving and living this area you can spout off telling us what the predominant factors are when driving this route.
Ad hominem attacks are not typically the sign of a strong argument. It's not as if simply being from Gatineau makes you some type of expert on the topic.

Anyways, this is way off-topic, but I'll answer your questions anyway. I've never lived in Ontario. I have driven across Ontario in my Model S 4 times (I think... might have lost count). The last time I was there was for game 1 of the NBA Finals in May. I also attended both MLS Cups in Toronto, but I flew for those. I drove the entire length of the TCH in an ICE in 2009, all the way to St. John's, NL. Here is a link to a few posts describing the Ottawa to Sudbury leg that I drove on one charge back in April of 2018:

2nd Unofficial Ontario Supercharger Opening Tour

More importantly than any of that, I have a ton of experience driving a Tesla in the Rockies. And I can absolutely assure you that net elevation gain and prevailing wind are the key factors beyond the obvious ones (driving speed and temperature). Certainly much more important than the steepness of the hills in one direction or the other. These can even be huge factors in the Plains (and presumably the Prairies as well though I have not yet driven my Tesla there). Just look at the threads on the Texas forum discussing driving from Dallas to Colorado via Amarillo.

These factors will be more subtle for a stretch like Ottawa to Sudbury but they still exist. A 200m elevation gain is not insignificant, especially in comparison with the reverse direction where you will get a 200m drop. The prevailing winds are also out of the west at an average of about 8kph. Here's a link for weather in Deep River:

Average Weather in Deep River, Canada, Year Round - Weather Spark

You can scroll down to the Wind section and you'll see this relevant text: "The wind is most often from the west for 9.7 months, from May 10 to March 1."

An average of 8kph may not sound like much, but the net difference between having that at your back or as a headwind is 16kph and that's basically like driving 16kph faster which of course hurts range. So by all means, continue to gather data. But I would encourage you to also collect data on the wind speed and direction and of course keep in mind the 200m elevation difference. I think you might see that those factors are more important than you previously realized. Happy driving!

An average of 8kph may not sound like much, but the net difference between having that at your back or as a headwind is 16kph and that's basically like driving 16kph faster which of course hurts range. So by all means, continue to gather data. But I would encourage you to also collect data on the wind speed and direction and of course keep in mind the 200m elevation difference. I think you might see that those factors are more important than you previously realized. Happy driving!

Great point here...

Wind speed is an underrated factor in vehicle efficiency. The aerodynamic drag on a moving body is proportional to velocity squared, which means that any increase in wind speed has a punishing impact on efficiency, and therefore range.

In practical terms, it works out roughly as follows. Note that “speed increase” here can also mean “headwind” for those times you’re bucking a breeze:

5% speed increase = 10% increase in energy consumption
10% speed increase = 21% increase in energy consumption
15% speed increase = 32% increase in energy consumption
20% speed increase = 40% increase in energy consumption

Obviously aero drag isn’t the only factor, but uphill/downhill sections with low net elevation change aren’t going to matter nearly as much.
Possibly the best advice I’ve seen on these forums was @SammichLover ’s throwaway comment “... faster just to drive slower.”

Or alternatively, “Speed kills... batteries!” :)