Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger not there; 6 miles away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and daughter drove our Model S from North Carolina to Maine, hopping from supercharger to supercharger. The gps directed them to one in Glen Allen, VA and they followed the car's directions to it. However, there was no supercharger at this location; the guy in the garage at those coordinates told them that this happens from time to time. The supercharger was 6 miles away which they found using their iPads. Same problem in Newburg, NY. Anyone know why?

• Love
Reactions: ION eDRV
Were you navigating to the Glen Allen SC, or were you using trip planner and it selected Glen Allen as a charge stop?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I've navigated to Glen Allen many times and have not had this issue.

I have used both of those super chargers in the past and never had an issue finding them.

One thing to note:

I don't really trust the onboard nav directions so I always have google maps running on my smartphone as a cross check. In case of discrepancy, I always follow google maps on the smart phone.

The two systems will eventually be In accord.

Also, if u must, mute the onboard Nav and listen to google maps on the smartphone as she directs you turn-by-turn.

I hope u did not run out of range bc of this 6 mile discrepancy u encountered.

I would look at the navigation history and see if they entered it in correctly.

If I recall correctly there was one incident where for some reason the search didn't come up with the correct supercharger and directed me to something that had the same name, and I wasn't paying attention. Luckily I realized my mistake well before it was too late.

I'm betting it's that, but it could also be outdated maps. Tesla doesn't show the map version so we can't compare.

The only problem I've ever had finding a Supercharger was the Petaluma, CA Supercharger, which is in a mall adjacent to the road, but with very limited access from the road. My Tesla got confused by the proximity of the mall to the road and couldn't find the access to the mall. It sent me in circles, which was very frustrating since it was rush hour in Petaluma, and it took me a half-hour before I finally made it to the Supercharger.

I never use the Trip function, only setting the next Supercharger location as my nav destination. In 18 months in which I have made four trips of 600+ miles, the only problem I've had finding a Supercharger was the Petaluma location (above).