Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Possibly a very stupid question but how do you pay at a supercharger? When I picked my Model 3 up a couple of weeks ago there wasn't much charge so I went via Hopwood Park to charge on my way home - I asked the guys in the Tesla delivery centre before I left how I set up payment and they said just to plug in and the instructions would come up on screen. Anyway, charged successfuly but nothing came up re payment.

Same story at Gordano this week. I don't have a card set up on my account to my knowledge (lease car so Tesla don't have my bank details).

Any ideas?

Reactions: house9
Tesla will advance you some credit. That’s really helpful when you’re on a long road trip and forget that your card on file expired last week. When you go to your account and click History, you’ll see your Supercharger transactions, and if they haven’t been paid, it says so. You can pay right there. And as mentioned above, add a credit card to your Tesla account and future Supercharger visits will pay automatically.

I see that you are in he UK, here in the US, some Superchargers are free because the business it is associated with wants you to do business with them. In that case, you will not see a charge on your account.

I travel to Dallas from time to time, I will stop at the Collins Street Bakery along I-45. They provide free Supercharging and a free cup of coffee. I will usually get a sandwich with my coffee, free won't be free for long if you don't at least buy something every once in a while.

On a side note, does anyone know of a list of Superchargers/business that offer free charging in hopes of you purchasing something?

I see that you are in he UK, here in the US, some Superchargers are free because the business it is associated with wants you to do business with them. In that case, you will not see a charge on your account.

I travel to Dallas from time to time, I will stop at the Collins Street Bakery along I-45. They provide free Supercharging and a free cup of coffee. I will usually get a sandwich with my coffee, free won't be free for long if you don't at least buy something every once in a while.

On a side note, does anyone know of a list of Superchargers/business that offer free charging in hopes of you purchasing something?
Do you mean Destination charger rather than Supercharger?

Hi,

Possibly a very stupid question but how do you pay at a supercharger? When I picked my Model 3 up a couple of weeks ago there wasn't much charge so I went via Hopwood Park to charge on my way home - I asked the guys in the Tesla delivery centre before I left how I set up payment and they said just to plug in and the instructions would come up on screen. Anyway, charged successfuly but nothing came up re payment.

Same story at Gordano this week. I don't have a card set up on my account to my knowledge (lease car so Tesla don't have my bank details).

Any ideas?
As others have said, you pay by associating a credit card with your Tesla account. This can be done through the app. As for how you've gotten by without doing this so far, well, there are a few possible things that could be happening. 1) You are still using up free supercharging miles that were earned by using a referral code when you ordered your car. If this is the case and you haven't associated a card already, then you'll probably get the expected message about how to pay once your free miles run out or expire (6 months from purchase) 2) Tesla will let people carry a bit of a tab for unpaid supercharging. I'm not sure what the dollar (pound) amount they'll let you get by on is, but I know that they will cut you off eventually if you charge enough and haven't paid. But you should be seeing a message about payment even if you're running a tab.

Reactions: Rocky_H

That's a destination charger, surely?