Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portsmouth, NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdreamer

Plaid Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
Just found a plan for a new c-store + charging station at the site of a former Burger King with the address of 2255 Lafayette Rd, Portsmouth NH.

There is a pay-walled story about it here:

A one page-site plan is attached illustrating a future 7-stall (7?) Tesla Charging Station and future 4 universal charging station setup.

This is not the first Common Man Roadside Market proposal I've found. There is (or was?) one proposed for Concord NH as well as part of a larger development project that's been stalled there for some time.

Attachments

• LafayetteRd_2255_CC_WS_101321.pdf
    855.2 KB · Views: 124
A June 8th, 2022 presentation to the conservation commission shows an updated plan with 8 Tesla superchargers...

And minutes from the June 23rd, 2022 planning board meeting. The board asked why the plans show the Tesla supercharger and ChargePoint stations as "future use" - the applicant responded that they have agreements in place to build them during construction.

Unanimous approval:

It looks like this project will move forward and should show up as permitted on the supercharge.info map

@tes-s @corywright

"They also have an agreement with Chargepoint and they are waiting for DES to release the funds for that". The Epsom site specifies "High Speed Chargepoint charging stations" while Portsmouth just says "Universal" charging stations in addition to SC.

Thoughts on if Portsmouth will be J1772 or CCS?

"They also have an agreement with Chargepoint and they are waiting for DES to release the funds for that". The Epsom site specifies "High Speed Chargepoint charging stations" while Portsmouth just says "Universal" charging stations in addition to SC.

Thoughts on if Portsmouth will be J1772 or CCS?
CCS more likely - but only time will tell.

With this showing up today, shall we consider this a match and put a pin on supercharge.info? @tes-s @corywright

1659763213882.png

New Hampshire really needs more superchargers along I-89 or Level 3 chargers. The EV infrastructure grant seems like they're wasting time on studies. What is there to study, really? Put those chargers in the Park & Ride sites (places off the exit where people park to carpool).

I'm very upset how NH is not moving quickly on using the infrastructure grant to place the EV chargers along I-89 corridor. I-93 has plenty. Please move to I-89 and I-91!

I am sending letters to my representative to keep pushing it.

New Hampshire really needs more superchargers along I-89 or Level 3 chargers. The EV infrastructure grant seems like they're wasting time on studies. What is there to study, really? Put those chargers in the Park & Ride sites (places off the exit where people park to carpool).

I'm very upset how NH is not moving quickly on using the infrastructure grant to place the EV chargers along I-89 corridor. I-93 has plenty. Please move to I-89 and I-91!

it's better to put them in locations with bathrooms etc. Park and rides tend to be just parking lots without food or bathrooms.

Exit 9 in Waner would be a perfect spot on I-89. Lots of retail and about halfway from Hookset to West Lebanon.

Portsmouth, NH

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Common Man Roadside Market
Along Primary Interstates: I-95
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-1
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-95

To: Kennebunk, ME - 30.5 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Saco, ME - 42 miles

US-1

To: Saco, ME - 39.4 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles
To: Portland, ME - 54.2 miles

I include it on I-95, but it's very much US-1 and although diverting doesn't add much distance, it adds 20 minutes.
Well away from the downtown. Given the location and diversion, I don't think it's that great a location.

Reactions: SMLBound
Tesla seems to be focusing on Route 1 through this area, with Portsmouth, Saco and Wells all coming soon. This saves vacationers from having to get on and off the turnpike to charge during their visit, and at the same time takes pressure off of Kennebunk and Seabrook.

I include it on I-95, but it's very much US-1 and although diverting doesn't add much distance, it adds 20 minutes.
Well away from the downtown. Given the location and diversion, I don't think it's that great a location.
My thought: until all hotels and rental cottages have surplus L2 charging for people on vacation, having 'gas station-like' DC fast charging in the area helps. This location would give a tesla driver staying on the NH seacoast easy charging to top up during their vacation.
In many ways, this location seems similar to the Meredith location

Reactions: kayak1
looked at the plans. noticed this on page 6 of the 060822 PDF: "24) PARKING AT CHARGING STATIONS SHALL NOT BE RESTRICTED TO ONLY ELECTRIC VEHICLES"

That note, along with the parking diagrams that show 14 spaces at front of store, 12 EV charging at rear of lot, and 10 liquid fueling spots make me seriously worry that the EV charging spots will be perpetually used by employees. but maybe that's the 'deal' if Tesla or another network isn't leasing the parking spaces.

Last edited: