Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger price not shown.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since my most recent referral miles ran out, when I charge the cost still shows as zero. It still turns up in my account so Tesla are still taking the money.

I have two questions. Is anyone else having this, and is it legal to take the money when you've shown a zero price?

Attachments

• PXL_20211227_221437095.jpg
    PXL_20211227_221437095.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 607
Mine does the same, i use Monzo and get a notification of payment within seconds of finishing a charge. but screen says £0.00, only time i can remember it showing me a cost was when i picked up the car before the free miles and app kicked in, had free charging for a couple of hours,

The price is shown when you click on the supercharger info on the cars display.

The invoice is then generated in your tesla account when the SC session is completed.

What do the invoices say as this is how you are actually billed.

Turning the question around, why do you think it is illegal?

But not the current cost. If you look at the photo it shows as £0.00.
The invoice is then generated in your tesla account when the SC session is completed.

I have no reason to believe that these are not correct.
In the same way a petrol pump has to give you the current cost as you fill. And that the cost displayed in the car is misleading.

In the same way a petrol pump has to give you the current cost as you fill. And that the cost displayed in the car is misleading.
EV charging is not covered by the regulations that cover petrol pumps.
It's a subject that has been raised on this forum before but basically there is no recognised method of metering a DC charge.
The usual method is to charge for the total AC supplied before conversion. The problem with this is that you end up paying for conversion losses and therefore there is no incentive to fit efficient conversion equipment to the chargers.
Some folk say that Tesla charge for the amount that actually reaches your car however I have never seen this - there is always a difference between what the car says it received and what was invoiced ie conversion losses. In my experience the conversion losses from Tesla superchargers are generally smaller than other UK rapid charger operators.

Reactions: Yachtsman and CMc1
But not the current cost. If you look at the photo it shows as £0.00.

I have no reason to believe that these are not correct.

Look in the navigation, this is where the current prices are displayed for each individual SC.

If you select an SC, the price will display on the nav screen.

If the invoices are correct, then you must have been charged as expected.

Which SC were you at? I can literally look now and using your own screenshot of 15kwh tell you how much you were charged

Absolutely not the point. I'm aware that I could work now I've found the superchargers on the new UI; but that's not the point. The £0.00 is what I'm talking about. It's supposed to tell me how much has racked up for the current session and it doesn't.

It is a grey area and potentially unlawful.

Going back to contract law fundamentals, there needs to be a clear offer and acceptance.

In a supermarket, the price of chocolate or petrol is clearly advertised - this is the offer.

The customer then accepts the offer through filling up their car or taking the item to the checkout.

In the case of SCs, there is an arguement that there is no offer as the terms of the offer are not clear.

Furthermore, under the Consumer Rights Act, it can be argued that the terms are unclear and thus unfair.

Tesla's counter argument is that the price can be discerned through other means and that the £0.00 is merely an inaccurate receipt (and under contract law, a receipt is not a condition for there to be a valid binding agreement).

Going back to contract law fundamentals, there needs to be a clear offer and acceptance.

In a supermarket, the price of chocolate or petrol is clearly advertised - this is the offer.

The customer then accepts the offer through filling up their car or taking the item to the checkout.

In the case of SCs, there is an arguement that there is no offer as the terms of the offer are not clear.

Furthermore, under the Consumer Rights Act, it can be argued that the terms are unclear and thus unfair.

Tesla's counter argument is that the price can be discerned through other means and that the £0.00 is merely an inaccurate receipt (and under contract law, a receipt is not a condition for there to be a valid binding agreement).
Thank you.

Did you read the T&Cs for using the supercharger? :)

The pay per use billing unit and rate for each location may change from time to time, and the latest information is provided in the map pin pop-up (accessible through the navigation application on your vehicle touchscreen). By charging your vehicle in a particular location, you accept the price of charging communicated to you through the map pin pop-up.

Did you read the T&Cs for using the supercharger? :)
Two sides to the argument. A petrol station has the price per litre displayed, but you also get to know how much is going in the tank as you pump. Tesla telling you the price per KWH is only analogous to that petrol forecourt display.. For most folk owning a car of this value it’s academic, but I see the OP's point re 'I only want to put £10 in the tank'

Two sides to the argument. A petrol station has the price per litre displayed, but you also get to know how much is going in the tank as you pump. Tesla telling you the price per KWH is only analogous to that petrol forecourt display.. For most folk owning a car of this value it’s academic, but I see the OP's point re 'I only want to put £10 in the tank'
You know how much fuel is going into the tank. You just have to do a tiny little bit of arithmetic to know how much it is costing.

PS Where does the OP say he only wants a tenners worth of fuel? His (or her) original question was around the legality and I think the T&Cs make it quite clear where the price can be seen.

EV charging is not covered by the regulations that cover petrol pumps.
It's a subject that has been raised on this forum before but basically there is no recognised method of metering a DC charge.
The usual method is to charge for the total AC supplied before conversion. The problem with this is that you end up paying for conversion losses and therefore there is no incentive to fit efficient conversion equipment to the chargers.
Some folk say that Tesla charge for the amount that actually reaches your car however I have never seen this - there is always a difference between what the car says it received and what was invoiced ie conversion losses. In my experience the conversion losses from Tesla superchargers are generally smaller than other UK rapid charger operators.
The car does not tell you what it receives it tells you what goes into the battery. Based I stuff I have read I think the difference is probably that you are billed for what is received by the car but you see only the increase in charge state of the battery. So charging losses in the car (heat mainly) + anything you use while you sit in the car with your flask watching Netflix with the AC on are invisible in car but are billed for. That would explain why the difference is lower than with others who are billing for the AC. What sort of difference are you seeing and how does it compare to other suppliers?

Maybe the OP needs to progress a case under the Consumer Rights Act and let us know how you get on :rolleyes:

The car does not tell you what it receives it tells you what goes into the battery. Based I stuff I have read I think the difference is probably that you are billed for what is received by the car but you see only the increase in charge state of the battery. So charging losses in the car (heat mainly) + anything you use while you sit in the car with your flask watching Netflix with the AC on are invisible in car but are billed for. That would explain why the difference is lower than with others who are billing for the AC. What sort of difference are you seeing and how does it compare to other suppliers?
I've found that Superchargers are much less 'lossy' than other DC chargers. Looking at Teslamate the amount added to the battery is usually within 0.5 kWh of what Tesla has charged for. I'll need to note what the car is showing the next time I supercharge to confirm, but Teslamate gets the info from the car, so they "should" be the same.

I've found that Superchargers are much less 'lossy' than other DC chargers. Looking at Teslamate the amount added to the battery is usually within 0.5 kWh of what Tesla has charged for. I'll need to note what the car is showing the next time I supercharge to confirm, but Teslamate gets the info from the car, so they "should" be the same.
Which kind of confirms it really. There is no way that AC-DC conversion is that efficient so Tesla must be charging for DC.
Compare that to other DC rapids and you will find the difference more like 5-10% since you will be paying an unregulated unconfirmable amount for the AC/DC conversion. And the less efficient it is the more money they make. Good business model but bad for you.

Was this ever resolved I have the same issue my car always displays £0.00 when ever I use a SC. But it always displays the same date 29th of September 2021
Didn't work at Scotch Corner again on Tuesday morning, but then did work at Harrogate in the Evening.
So it's one of
  • It was fixed some time during the day
  • It's V2 specific
  • Teslas are weird