Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redding, CA (LIVE 11 Oct 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure Redding is pushing on where the location is going to be and may be s as long time till we see a charger here. Churn creek south at bonnyview is building fast maybe there. But I think the city is pushing for around the sundial bridge.

I would let the Redding officials know that us travelers wouldn’t care if this were in Red Bluff either, as long as it’s close to I-5 and at least 12 V3 stalls. Do they want the tax revenue of those travelers or should Red a Bluff get it? Yes, Redding is a better location for major crossroads, but....

Redding is so slow to do anything, Anderson should just jump on it at the outlets there, at least there’s a starbucks. Anywhere in Redding is funky to get to with the exception of the new construction off bonnyview. Sundial location would be pointless, no good food options

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I would let the Redding officials know that us travelers wouldn’t care if this were in Red Bluff either, as long as it’s close to I-5 and at least 12 V3 stalls. Do they want the tax revenue of those travelers or should Red a Bluff get it? Yes, Redding is a better location for major crossroads, but....
Well, it looks like Redding loses and Red Bluff wins this round.
Supercharger - Red Bluff - 8 Stalls (Open Nov 2019)

Well, it looks like Redding loses and Red Bluff wins this round.
Supercharger - Red Bluff - 8 Stalls (Open Nov 2019)
Hmm...Hwy 36 out of Red Bluff is still a minor road, while Hwy 299 both East and West out of Redding is a major highway (don't forget Hwy 44 towards Lassen, Susanville, and Reno). My hunch is that Tesla has it's sights on a couple of spots in Redding but infrastructure projects in those areas are dragging on endlessly.

Hmm...Hwy 36 out of Red Bluff is still a minor road, while Hwy 299 both East and West out of Redding is a major highway (don't forget Hwy 44 towards Lassen, Susanville, and Reno). My hunch is that Tesla has it's sights on a couple of spots in Redding but infrastructure projects in those areas are dragging on endlessly.
Yes but 99 and I-5 intersect at Red Bluff. Doesn't get much bigger than that.

With only 8 stalls though, I suspect Redding might get a supercharger within the next couple years anyway.

The way it’s going Tesla will just bail off the idea of Redding. Too much politics in Redding. Guess they don’t want all the tax dollars that people charging will bring. I have emailed the mayor and city manager hoping that they are not pushing Tesla away for some reason. This has happened originally when the chargers went to Mt Shasta instead.

Last edited:
The way it’s going Tesla will just bail off the idea of Redding. Too much politics in Redding. Guess they don’t want all the tax dollars that people charging will bring. I have emailed the mayor and city manager hoping that they are not pushing Tesla away for some reason. This has happened originally when the chargers went to Mt Shasta instead.
The chargers are 99% of the time on private property under private agreements ie Target, Safeway. I doubt very much it's local government barriers. Could be stuck in plancheck

Sadly, you could be right. I had much more respect for the City of Redding before the latest solar debacle when the city utility tried to cram Net Metering 2.0 down the throats of existing solar customers they had already signed agreements with. Now that my eyes have been opened, I'm starting to see it in other city projects as well. Unfortunately, we have some City Council members caught in a 1950's energy time warp mentality. You know, buy energy, sell energy. The consideration as to whether it's clean or not doesn't matter, as long as it satisfies State mandates. Their thinking? "Circle the wagons - the future is coming! Aghh!" This does not help Tesla Superchargers, as some just don't see the immediate value in it.

Last edited:
Sadly, you could be right. I had much more respect for the City of Redding before the latest solar debacle when the city utility tried to cram Net Metering 2.0 down the throats of existing solar customers they had already signed agreements with. Now that my eyes have been opened, I'm starting to see it in other city projects as well. Unfortunately, we have some City Council members caught in a 1950's energy time warp mentality. You know, "Circle the wagons - the future is coming! Aghh!" This does not help Tesla Superchargers, as some just don't see the immediate value in it.
I fail to understand how you think Tesla is being railroaded by Reddings council?
1. To deny it, wouldn't it have to come to a vote? Has it?
2. I don't see how they could deny it. It would fall under administration review to plan check and approve it. It's not like a Costco expansion or some huge land use change or special entitlement process is needed.. It hasn't happened yet because Tesla hasn't found the right partner up there yet, or the owner of the location they want doesnt want to play ball.

I fail to understand how you think Tesla is being railroaded by Reddings council?
1. To deny it, wouldn't it have to come to a vote? Has it?
2. I don't see how they could deny it. It would fall under administration review to plan check and approve it. It's not like a Costco expansion or some huge land use change or special entitlement process is needed.. It hasn't happened yet because Tesla hasn't found the right partner up there yet, or the owner of the location they want doesnt want to play ball.
No, I don't think Tesla is being "railroaded" by the city council, nor has anything come to a vote. However, after seeing some obvious ignorance from some city council members concerning, for instance, where Redding is heading in the clean energy department (solar), I'm not so sure those members would go "out of their way" to streamline an EV charging station.

You are right Blup85. Normally, it would fall under a simple administrative review to check and approve. It's probably tied to one of those larger projects, and without getting too political, some of which I support and some not. I guess we all just have to be patient on this. Since I live in Redding, I would actually never use a Supercharger here except for emergencies. I just see the value in the location for the rest of the community.

Reactions: Blup85
You are right Blup85. Normally, it would fall under a simple administrative review to check and approve. It's probably tied to one of those larger projects, and without getting too political, some of which I support and some not. I guess we all just have to be patient on this. Since I live in Redding, I would actually never use a Supercharger here except for emergencies. I just see the value in the location for the rest of the community.
I agree as well it will be great for the supercharger to be here and it will support our community. I am hoping that it will go either at the mall, though a jaunt off the freeway there isn't really any late night services, or the new development on Churn creek. But patience we will have to have. Maybe it is taking longer due to Tesla looking into 250KW charging.

Reactions: Blup85
Redding is no longer on the map:

upload_2019-12-5_15-2-22.png

Changed it to a Megacharger site.. they just don't want to tell us.. No way this major junction doesnt get some type of support in the next couple years.
Edit:
I thinking Tesla is just changing strategies. It actually doesnt make all that sense to put Superchargers in a heavy urban area when many users I would expect to be towing thru here ( soon?). It makes more sense to put redundant chargers in the rural surrounding area that are more easily accessible by Truck and trailer (camper).
I would suspect chargers to be located on the outskirts at rest stops, truck stations in this here neck of the woods.
New estimate: Weaverville, Shingletown, and somewhere just north near Lake Shasta.
Screenshot_20191205-203528_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: brkaus
No way this major junction doesnt get some type of support in the next couple years.
I don’t think anyone is saying that there is no possibility of a Supercharger being located in Redding years from now, only that based on the change to the Tesla Find Us map there is no plan for one there over the next 12 months or so. As the number of Teslas sold continues accelerate there will eventually be Superchargers in every city in the US (and of course points in between). California will lead the way since that state certainly has the highest number of Teslas on the road, and that is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.